Day or Night, Clear or Storm... ANY map?

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Tehrasha » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:54 am

This has potential...

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=105608

I can also see where this might induce some serious bugs.
But might be fun to tinker with.
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:25 am

Oh, I could hate that a lot. Specifically if someone tried to use it on maps where the designer anticipated an area being brightly lit by the ambient sunlight, and instead you end up with a pool of darkness that's little more than an ideal ambush spot for a Pyro.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 am

Seems pretty interesting to say the least. Not sure how much I'd like it considering that I think the lighting on the maps is just fine.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Tails » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Its a really cool idea, I have played on maps with different time/weather and its awesome, 2fortnight for example I think worked well as it was lit by bright moonlight and had the lights turned on in the forts and sewers and the already shaded spots don't really get darker then they were originally as it seems like all that changes is the removal of sun brightness and change of landscape color but that is all it needs to change the atmosphere lol
Tails

Postby rednec0 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm

Ooh, I could see using that to imitate the time of day and weather conditions for the server's physical location. Maybe we could test this on TFP #3 and #7 to see how well it works and if it breaks anything.
rednec0

Postby Kyle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:11 pm

I always like having control over the weather/time of day. This really should have been in the game from the beginning! Ultimately, the change of scenery will help keep you from getting tired of playing Dustbowl yet again, if only for a little while. You could also have themed events based on the time of day/season, where all the maps are played with a particular time setting. Halloween, for instance, could have all the maps in a night setting, or the snow setting could be used during winter.
Kyle

Postby Draco18s » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:43 pm

I bet that it changes the fog distance, the sky texture, and the level of the light_environment. Adding a thicker fog changes the ambiance quite a lot, as I found out when making my own map.
You can see a bit of what I did here. Changes are in the order I made them, but you can see the difference between little/no environment light, lots, and heavy fog.
Draco18s

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:05 pm

There's also talk about precipitation, but no discussion of how that gets added in.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Draco18s » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I haven't explored precipitation entities yet, but I think they're relatively simple. One of the things about maps is that you can change the entities in a map and clients (who already have the map) don't have to download a new .bsp, they just get an "entity update" of sorts. So I'm betting all they do is ad hoc add the precipitation control entities the same way they alter the variables on the other ents.
Draco18s

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:31 am

Except that a lot of those maps have no precipitation. Which means they'd have to add entirely new trigger brushes, and there's the other problem with precipitation- the fact it goes through walls.
Stormcaller3801

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2