Minecraft Server

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby Pathia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:34 am

http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?serve ... e20399666c

Here's a server for us to goof around.
Pathia

Postby NikkyVix » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:29 am

Little bit of etiquette also, for Minecraft, folks:

If you find something someone's built and you're not sure if they'd want it to be tinkered with..be polite. Don't go ruining it for them? It would really suck to build an awesome underground lair, only to return to the server two days later and someone's dug through the wrong wall to flood it with water or lava. :)
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Purplecat » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:36 am

In other words, if anyone touch my Mercury (the biological symbol for Hermaphrodite), they're dead.

DEAD.

>:(
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Sekh765 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 am

This thing is pretty awesome...I've started constructing my secret island fortress...though it took awhile to figure the thing out. I marked it with a giant Sek ^_^

Also. there is lava? Should I not be delving as deep as I am to avoid the ocean flooding me?
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:12 am

Sekh765 wrote:Also. there is lava? Should I not be delving as deep as I am to avoid the ocean flooding me?

There is lava underground. Here's the thing:

Lava, like water, exists in cells underground just waiting for unsuspecting miners to delve right into them. You'll know it when you find it. It flows just like water (every direction but up), only slower, slow enough that a quick hand can hopefully contain the spread before it gets out of hand if you unearth it. It won't hurt you*. It will slow you down like water will. It will obscure your vision unlike water. Sponge blocks and flower blocks do not stop lava.

If you wind up with a lava flood in your room you can seal off the source of the breach, then contain the spill by placing blocks down in the space where there's lava and gradually breaking them to create pockets of air. It's tricky, you'll get it if it happens. On our other server we've got nifty windowed displays of lava and framed wading pools of it right next to water. :3

Also, you can dig as deep as you wish until you find hard rock (unbreakable ground which is the absolute floor of the world). There's caverns of water underground, but not everywhere. You're safe if you dig straight down, but just be careful of digging sideways or up if you're unsure whether there's water or lava nearby. Water's much easier to deal with than lava.

Also: Water and Lava always spreads if there's so much as one block of it that has room to move in any direction but up.

*Lava is harmless in the current Sandbox game mode, but has the capacity to harm or kill in Notch's future-planned Survival and Zombie Siege modes.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 am

Yea...the water filling stuff up got irritating when I decided to build under the ocean lol, from that tiny island off in the corner...I marked where the ocean ended so I could dig under that, but accidentally hitting any water pockets flooded EVERYTHING, so I gave up on that. Now im building something totally different >_>.
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:09 am

Sekh765 wrote:Yea...the water filling stuff up got irritating when I decided to build under the ocean lol, from that tiny island off in the corner...I marked where the ocean ended so I could dig under that, but accidentally hitting any water pockets flooded EVERYTHING, so I gave up on that. Now im building something totally different >_>.

Water is easy to manage, even in the middle of the ocean! Just select the sponge/cheese-like block. It pushes water away from a 3-block circumference. Set up a waterless area and build to your heart's content, then destroy the sponge blocks to let the water fill in the gaps you don't need. :) In my lairs, certain hallways are made watertight by hiding a sponge block behind one level of wall block, out of sight, just in case there's a flood and the water needs to be stopped.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 am

Could someone explain just what this is? I did some non-saved digging that fairly well established that the world has both a bottom and sides, but otherwise I'm fairly lost.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:33 pm

I was wondering what that cheese block was...

Any other blocks that do fancy things?
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Stormcaller3801 wrote:Could someone explain just what this is? I did some non-saved digging that fairly well established that the world has both a bottom and sides, but otherwise I'm fairly lost.

Minecraft right now is, essentially, a (early alpha-stage) free java-based online multiplayer building and excavation game in its current incarnation. Nothing more, nothing less. You connect, take blocks (some with various properties) and construct things above or below ground, shaping the world as you see fit. The developer adds something new more or less every week as far as content. In its current state it's only got a single game mode, Sandbox mode, where players have infinite access to building blocks and can build whatever they wish with no distinct endgame goal other than to mess around with the game. Notch (the developer) plans to add other rule-specific game modes in the future, such as:

Zombie Siege
"Players will have to build their defenses during the day, at night they will have to protect their fortification from the Zombies."

Survival
Players must gather materials in the world and build shelters to protect themselves from the elements, starvation, and roaming mobs/NPCs. Full description here on Notch's Blog. Other points of note include:
-Multiple Difficulty Levels
-Roaming NPCs
-Tools and Weapons
-Health
-Drowning is possible, as well as dying in lava
-Blocks will require resources, so you have to mine/chop trees to obtain them
-Ore [gold, coal and copper ore can be found underground] will have a function

Capture the Flag
You will most likely be playing in two different teams where you protect your flag while trying to capture the enemy team flag.

Terrain Control
(?)

Again, this game is in early Alpha stage, so it's likely these game modes and other things like new items, a working weather system, npcs, etc. will only be trickled out over time as the game develops. There's a wiki and a community page for Minecraft already with more information. While it's free for full play, you can purchase an account if you want to be able to edit your character's skin and show some support for Notch's efforts. Here's my current skin:

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Next

Return to Alternative Games