[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Court jails Pirate Bay founders

Court jails Pirate Bay founders

For Political Discussion. This is another definite "Keep it Civil" area; Respect others' perspectives if debate happens.

Postby Fangz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Last edited by Fangz on Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fangz

Postby pablofiasco » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:00 pm

this is what a swede i know has to say:
QUOTE(Spartan-343 @ Apr 17 2009, 07:06 AM) *
So pirate bay's gone? sad.gif

No, not by a long shot. This was basic court... for all intents and purposes it might as well be the equivalent of CourtTV. The exact same thing would have happened if The Pirate Bay won, the MPAA/RIAA would have appealed. The court will be reheard by a real judge now in appeals court. Once again, if they don't win in appeals court.. they will appeal that court and take it to supreme court. The Pirate Bay is not on trial, the 4 people behind it are. The Pirate Bay servers are hidden all over the world in over 10 or more countries, and a handful of servers have been taken to a secret location that not even four on trial know where they are. So, pretty much, it's impossible to shut down The Pirate Bay.

The absolute worse case scenario is The Pirate Bay crew ends up doing a year in Swedish prison after supreme court.. which isn't that far from summer camp. You even have internet access and everything there. At this point it will take years for them to wade through the courts. They can drag this on for quite awhile.

Cheers,
Kensai
pablofiasco

Postby pablofiasco » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:01 pm

and more:
I know most of you have probably forgotten all about it, but the verdict was just announced and as expected all 4 members of The Pirate Bay were found guilty. Thats 30 million SEK and 1 year in prison for each. This was of course why the whole thing was called a "Spectrial" (or spectacle) it's all dance and show for the media and was an expected loss. According to Svd.se the verdict was unanimous and says that all four worked as a team, developed specialized search functions and are therefore guilty.The judge also stated that the usage of BitTorrent at The Pirate Bay is illegal. Rest assured, other torrent sites hosted in Sweden will be keeping a close eye on developments. At one point the judge was asked if he was concerned for his personal safety after handing down this decision. The judge said he hadn’t received any harassment and was quite surprised at the question. The judge says the tracker is what assisted the copyright which they helped design. (Mind you.. the judge threw out all defense concerning the tracker......).The defense then accused the judge of folding under political pressure rather than looking at the case. The defense has of course appealed all charges and will be taking this to the higher court to do it all over again. The reasons for appeal was the charges were way too high (they assumed each download was a lost sale and if it was a pre-release it got like a 12x multiplier or something ridiculous) on top of that... no one from the Pirate Bay actually resides in Sweden .. so.. yeah. It's the equivalent of me having a house you can go to in Mexico to get a map to illegal substances in Europe and getting charged for it in Europe... not going to work. Needless to say if the prosecution tries to pull half of the crap they did in this court at the higher up ones they will be thrown out in two seconds.

On a side note all together, Sweden’s National Museum of Science and Technology has bought the original The Pirate Bay server for $243. It will be displayed in a section of the museum dedicated to machines and inventions that have changed people’s lives.

This is a breaking news story, I'll update as more news flows in.

Cheers,
Kensai
pablofiasco

Postby Purplecat » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Uhm, it's not done yet. It will be appealed. And laws might as well be changed until the next trial, Swedish Pirate Party is quickly gaining in popularity fast. I been a member since 2006-2007 or so... per member they're currently the 4th biggest political party. And isn't too far from being the 3rd biggest now...

TL;DR about my political opinions. I don't think IP laws should be abolished, but I defiantly think they should be changed. They're too focused on the "owner" (corporations), and not necessarily the "creator" (the artist) or the "greater good" (public domain). Some things, like "software patents" (amazon one-click thing comes to mind) doesn't do anything but encourage patent trolls and make it a hell for people in the IT field...

I'm moving this to the debate forum, since this is VERY political in nature.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby FourLetterWord » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:35 pm

FourLetterWord

Postby Purplecat » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Tele2 is now going against the Ipred law, which means they won't store traffic data about their consumers. They did it quoting consumers concern.

Bahnhof did a similar thing in Sweden earlier this year.

It happens to be the ISP I'm on, so i'm happy. It also means the media lobby will have a harder time to reach me.

Also thanks to this case, the Swedish Pirate Party is gaining a mayor foothold.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Politics