Very Choppy Network Connection

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Tehrasha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:25 am

Since returning from the holiday break, I have been unable to play on TFP. :(
When listed in my favorites it shows my usual ping between 70 and 90, but when I join it instantly jumps to 100 and when in the thick of battle with several ppl on screen it spikes to well above 500. Usually ending with being kicked off with a 'Buffer overflow' error.

I ran some traceroutes to TFP and CC2 server and could see no obvious hangups.
The images in this composite screenshot were taken within a few minutes of each other, with both servers running just over 20 players.

Before xmas I did not have any trouble like this.
Any ideas?
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby NikkyVix » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:52 pm

I'm a dullard when it comes to tracing 'net problems, but perhaps it's an unsolved issue somewhere in the route between your home and our server(s)?

I am sorry to hear you're having such issues; it's no fun being thrown out of a game by unknown connection issues.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Purplecat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Check your rate. It's possible you set it on a fairly low value (and the other server have sv_minrate set to way higher).

Or the console command rate rather.

Press ~ (if you're on a US keyboard) and type rate.

Maybe I set the minimum rate too low and I probably just set it a bit higher again. :/ I decreased the sv_minrate for awhile ago, and I start suspect that people who seems to have problems probably had set Steam that they're on dial-up connection for some reason. (the cvar rate is set depending on what "connection type" you provide to Steam itself)

Edit: Infact, the kind of lag you're getting is indeed from having too low rate setting. I probably put up the sv_minrate cvar a little bit higher but... you should probably set rate to something like 20000 at least.

Edit2: Setting sv_minrate to 10000, but still please check your own rate setting. With sv_minrate 10000 you require at least ISDN to play on our server, but I doubt we had any dial-up users in the first place. ;)

Just keep in mind that bandwidth usage varies from map to map too. You should probably check the network settings of Steam, what is it set to? (It's under the download tab of steam settings). You can also set rate manually.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Tehrasha » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:12 pm

I could have sworn I had set my Steam settings for DSL > 768k but when I checked it , the setting was blank!
My rate in TF2 was set at an abysmally low 3500!!! :o

I set it for 150000 and everything now plays like it should.
Thanks Much!
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Purplecat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:44 pm

Glad that fixed the problem.

Most likely the other server had a higher sv_minrate than we did, which is why you didn't get the problem (it pretty much forces your rate setting to be higher). I did increase it to 10K to anyway, and hopefully that would only keep out dial-up players.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:14 pm

I was wondering about that. Why did Steam change my rate, I wonder...
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Taross » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Steam has a habit of resetting things (at least in my experience) when there's been updates and such.
Taross

Return to Help