[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Hey You. Stop Going Militant.

Hey You. Stop Going Militant.

Think something's terrific? Think something sucks? Rant and rave here. This is a definite "Keep it civil" area, folks. We will be enforcing common courtesy.

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 am

Yes, you.

Do you have a grievance with some person, some entity, some ideal?

I want you to stop and do something for yourself. Not me, or anyone, but yourself. I want you to use every objective, self-critiquing nerve you can muster, and examine that grievance for its value in the higher state of things. Will it matter to you or anyone else in a few days, or a week, or a year? Is it harming your state of life? Is it threatening to destroy what you know and enjoy?

Is it worth being militant and combative with your peers over?

If you fail to come up with a sensible reason that would pass in a court over it, I counsel you by sensible rationality to drop it, find something that you enjoy to take up the time that venomous issue once did, and move on with your life. You will be much healthier for it. Those around you will likely be more amicable towards you for it.

We're all well aware of the cheap jokes that can be made about rationale on the internet. You don't need to share your thoughts or discoveries here, or provide testimony. Anything you do provide is just yours to share. Just stop. Think. Evaluate your grievance(s) and treat them accordingly.

That is all.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:53 am

Every one of us is precious in the cosmic perspective. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.

-Carl Sagan.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Makaze » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:43 am

Insightful, and gave this one pause to think, just well how does one make amends once they realize? Since some can shelve it, but never forget. What advice have you on this, also....curious as to what brought on this introspection inducing post, seems more philosophical than something ranty/ravy rather...refreshing in some oddly serene way

Makaze

Postby CrashFu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 am

It may be less stressful to apply a "just let it go" attitude to all the minor issues, but...

Wasn't it a couple decades of that attitude that resulted in the human race losing all of its virtues? Chivalry is dead. Honor is dead. Integrity is dead. Truth is dead. Common respect is dead. People as a whole are evil, selfish, immoral creatures, and all because somewhere along the way someone decided it wasn't worth being unpopular to fight over these things.

I couldn't blame you if you hate me for arguing this with you, but I COULD blame myself if I didn't stand up and make my point today. :|
CrashFu

Postby Witchiebunny » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Niko is not arguing for applying such an atitude to major issues, but to little ones like a game,which is what TF2 is.

Relevance. Sense of Scale.Need some help with those?
Witchiebunny

Postby CrashFu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am

CrashFu

Postby iller » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 am

Perspectives are always a little skewed around here.
I blame the rampant Macro Fetish so common among I.T. furs :D
iller

Postby SplashChick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:00 am

The courts have made some pretty horrible decisions over the years, so I wouldn't really set that as some kind of standard.
SplashChick

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:21 am

No.

The point of my thread (and this is especially pointed to CrashFu, who has succeeded in resurrecting this thread and derailing my post with a cynically negative counterpoint) was that there is often ample reason to stop and think through things that trouble and anger you, especially with grievances with others. And instead of going on the attack, to try for understanding and comprehension, and tempering your reactions in light of said understanding.

People are disposed towards self preservation beneath their social drives, and it leads us to do cruel things. That's a given, so it's up to us if we wish to strive for anything better. If you wish to take a more worldly view, there's the ideal that understanding is the key to forging common bonds between you and those around you. It's something to strive for for personal betterment that will not come through natural progression:

That is why it is an ideal.

(locking this thread, because I know that, regardless, there's going to be a 'but actually' that steamrolls past this thread's original intention, and who knows where it will end up there)
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Return to Rants & Raves