Crash Course DLC

A place for posting information about the development of Bill's Pills.

Postby Jinx » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2708/

Crash Course Campaign Due in September

August 4, 2009 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the next major downloadable content (DLC) update for its co-operative zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead (L4D), the #1 new game title on Xbox 360 and PC in 2008

Entitled "Crash Course," the latest DLC delivers new single-player, multiplayer and co-operative gameplay to both platforms. Targeted for release in September, "Crash Course" bridges the gap between the end of the "No Mercy" campaign and the beginning of "Death Toll" in the original game, expanding the game universe with new locations, new dialogue from the original cast, and an explosive finale

While containing both Survival maps and a Co-operative Campaign, the primary goal of "Crash" is to deliver a complete Versus mode experience in just 30 minutes, resulting in a streamlined version of the game's existing Versus campaigns. A recharge timer for infected teammates has also been added, and item spawn behavior has changed for more balanced gameplay.

"Since the release of Left 4 Dead last November, the design team has been excited about creating new experiences for this world and allowing players to do the same, by releasing much of our internal toolset, like the Survival Pack and Authoring Tools," said Gabe Newell. "We're working with the fans toward the ongoing entertainment value of the product."

Left 4 Dead is an action horror game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games. Released in November of 2008, L4D has earned over 50 industry awards from outlets around the world and sold almost 3 million copies worldwide.

Left 4 Dead: Crash Course is targeted for release in September and will be available free of charge on the PC and for 560 Gamer points on Xbox Live.

For more information, please visit http://www.l4d.com
Jinx

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Nice to see that L4D1 is getting a new campaign. Though, I'd really like to see a full campaign for Last Stand...
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:35 am

Ah, Valve.

<3

Nice to see a promise kept. (:
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Purplecat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:35 am

NO FUCK THEM FOR L4D2

>:(

...just kidding.

So in other words, Valve changed their mind about the campaigns not being tied together?
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:38 am

Ailure wrote:NO FUCK THEM FOR L4D2

>:(

...just kidding.

So in other words, Valve changed their mind about the campaigns not being tied together?

I think they were still meant to be, they just removed the cinematics from between campaigns because they were supposedly disheartening.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Wulfie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:58 am

They wanted to link them together, but whiny baby testers were upse-- I mean, displeased with them.

What sick man sends babies to test this?
Wulfie

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:08 pm

...I just looked at the actual 'released in' part.

:D

That'll be a nice little birthday present.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Jinx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Destructoid's exclusive preview of Crash Course

As already detailed, Crash Course is designed purely for Versus Play. It can of course be played in a straight Campaign mode, and it works with Survival mode, but the shorter length and more intense combat situations are geared toward competition.

The new campaign is much shorter than the ones you're used to, which is a deliberate decision on the part of Valve. I'd been told that players generally felt that full campaigns were too long for multiplayer matches, and that they generally stuck around for about half of one. With that in mind, Crash Course consists only of two chapters, which sounds stingy, but is a perfect length for a quicker, more decisive Versus match that should encourage players to stay with a battle from beginning to end.

Be warned that the preview contains huge spoilers especially near the end when they discuss the second chapter / finale. I didn't read it so I may have to avoid this thread until the DLC comes out in September >_>;
Jinx

Postby Sekh765 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:50 pm

Damn...was hoping for a full length campaign.

Still. Free content is great, and I always wanted to see what the sound files in L4D concerning the pilot transforming were gonna be used for, since they have been there since release.

Can't wait for more l4d! :D

-

Also. That poster is AWESOME! :O
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:36 pm

The poster is nice, but Louis and Zoey really don't look like Louis and Zoey...
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Next

Return to News