[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Fair compensation? notice to artists and artees

Fair compensation? notice to artists and artees

For artisans and art-fans alike to post what they want to show off. May contain material for mature audiences.

Postby Makaze » Sat May 09, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm sitting here, thinking about commissions I've purchased, and how varied in price they've been, and thought. "You know. I should really set guidelines and ranges of what I'm willing to spend, and what signs i should look for that say, don't get art from this Joe/Jane."

So in short I'm tossing out a plea for guidance and suggestions on what one should look for as warning signs or what could justify certain pricing. Perhaps maybe y'all of the artistic persuasion(sorry I'm a writer, furrydom doesn't like us too much ;-;)

So, I ask what signs should I look for as far as said artist just using ego or how much people worship the dirt between their toes in regards to their price? Is that usually just over reaction on some of the fandom's part, is it ego on the Artist's part, and abuse of their fanbase? How do some of you guys calculate prices, and what would you personally call as your limit as far as what you'd pay when you go out for the art?

Do you compare various artists styles and pricing etc. Or do you just buy because its a BNF or a friend or what not. What's too much to pay for a sketch/ink or color drawing? I'm really just curious x.x since well streamlining is something I should learn to do. Looking for some insight and opinion ere' and well hopefully no sarcasm or snark since well I'm being honest and serious ere'

Makaze

Postby Purplecat » Sat May 09, 2009 4:59 pm

I just do favors and counterfavors when it comes to artwork. Usually I get something for something I done before, and I of course is nice and doesn't make a too big deal out of it.

But when it comes to commissions it's really up to the artist what price to set. It's insane how there's people willing to pay 500 USD* for a "yiffy painting" but the market is out there (and I don't blame artists for abusing the fact, I probably would do it myself) and it's apparently the demand of the said artist. It's bit of a supply and demand thing. Some artists thinks it's immoral to set a such high pricing.

Artists usually do really low-cost commissions when they want to try something new, but don't want to accept requests. Or is trying out commissions, or is considering themselves a fairly low-skill.

*(I wonder what the most expensive commision for a single picture in the furry fandom been so far...)
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Makaze » Sat May 09, 2009 5:33 pm

Makaze

Postby cpctail » Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 am

cpctail

Postby NikkyVix » Mon May 11, 2009 1:22 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Makaze » Mon May 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Makaze

Return to Art Alley