Anthro Literature and Writers!

For artisans and art-fans alike to post what they want to show off. May contain material for mature audiences.

Postby Makaze » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Kyle wrote:
Makaze wrote:You shouldn't, as it's labeled General Audiances like this one http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2201007/

Try refreshing or whatev?

Yeah, it's showing up now. I've been trying to hold off on signing up for FA - once I cave then there's probably no stopping until I find myself in the fursuit parade at Anthrocon :)

My opinion of the story probably won't mean much. I'm not really into the whole macro/giantess thing, so I'm probably not the target audience. However, you may want to start by fixing all the typos and grammatical errors :) - I found quite a few of them! Beyond that, the quality of the writing seems decent. I have a hard time getting into a world with hundred-foot-tall furries, so if you're looking to reach a general audience you might want to spend a little more time with that.

For instance, I didn't even pick up the first time through that Nadia actually shrunk down in the middle of that scene. I was thinking, how is she giving mouth to mouth to this dead woman? You also may want to introduce the conflict with this character a little later - it's a little confusing to start the scene at the end of some sort of macro fight and not know who she was fighting or what the reason was.

I wish I had something for you to critique, although I do have some ideas started. Maybe I'll get a short story up on the weekend!

Nah I look at all crituque honestly and look forward to it as well how will I improve if i ignore it? The macro thing just popped into my head as a "theme" to wrap the idea around, the mindset of sometimes the hero isn't always in time, and an idea of writing that would focus more on the emotion and thoughts of the charaters as opposed to the action. That and well I get so tired of seeing the standard themes with the genre, rarg smooshy you, so I was hoping to convey another side.

Damn you're right on the grammar, didn't realize I'd not put the revised/tightened up version up it'd been so long, thanks!

As far as stuff to critique? Don't rush something just for that, though getting an idea out of your head before if disappears is good and getting initial feedback on it is better, then go back to it once you got the composure and time. I'd be glad to see what ya come up with.

Makaze

Postby Makaze » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Kyle wrote:Sorry for the double post. I'm continuing the trend!

I can't speak much to the writing community in the furry fandom - however I suspect it's pretty much consistent with the popularity of writing in general. I'm sure we all know a lot of people who've never read anything outside of high school, let alone written anything. These people either don't have the attention to devote to a novel, or don't think they'll enjoy it. I'm guessing that the furry community is primarily made of these same people - the only difference being what art interests them - not the medium it's presented in.

I don't think this is limited to the furry community. Books on the whole have probably become less popular over the years - no doubt that a story posted on DeviantArt also gets buried under all the drawings, paintings, etc. However, it will never get so bad that you can't find a place to read and write, even something as niche as furry fiction. Maybe even non-erotic furry fiction.

Why, I just found an accomplished author on FA who posts a 'Thursday Prompt', which basically tries to get people writing and critiquing each others' work based around a particular theme for that week. That has to count for something. She also has a couple short stories that I really liked:

Swear Not by the Moon - an interesting spin on werewolves, and
A Winter's Work - about a fur trapper who encounters a wolf

True enough, I know it's just not our own community, especially with how much we as humans thrive on visual input to make sense of things, the whole picture is worth a thousand words saying n' all, and in some cases it's easier to glance at a picture, and get a feeling off it, be it joy, hate or what have you which takes maybe a minute versus a story which may take one several minutes to get a feel. Also thanks for that link, that well gives me more drive to improve :D

Makaze

Postby Kyle » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:00 am

Makaze wrote:Nah I look at all crituque honestly and look forward to it as well how will I improve if i ignore it? The macro thing just popped into my head as a "theme" to wrap the idea around, the mindset of sometimes the hero isn't always in time, and an idea of writing that would focus more on the emotion and thoughts of the charaters as opposed to the action. That and well I get so tired of seeing the standard themes with the genre, rarg smooshy you, so I was hoping to convey another side.

Damn you're right on the grammar, didn't realize I'd not put the revised/tightened up version up it'd been so long, thanks!

As far as stuff to critique? Don't rush something just for that, though getting an idea out of your head before if disappears is good and getting initial feedback on it is better, then go back to it once you got the composure and time. I'd be glad to see what ya come up with.

Hey, I'm not rushing at all. I've started writing a few things already. I have a pretty large story in mind, an idea that's been bouncing around in my head for the past year or so, but only recently did I really try to develop it. I'll probably end up posting some short sections from it to see if anyone likes it. I might enter in one of those Thursday prompts, too. Speaking of which, last week's was 'insomnia'.

I can't expect much though - I haven't written anything since high school. So don't trash my story too much whenever I post it :)
Kyle

Postby Kyle » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:55 am

Well, just as I guessed earlier in the week, here's my short story for the weekend! I also submitted it to the Thursday prompt for this week, whose theme ('lost') happened to fit the story I was writing. Since the description appears below the story: A furry couple's southbound search for food and civilization in the arctic ends with tragic consequences for both of them. Inspired by the Lost episode of the same name.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2985357

As I said earlier, don't expect anything overly good - I'm a total newbie.
Kyle

Postby Makaze » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Kyle wrote:Well, just as I guessed earlier in the week, here's my short story for the weekend! I also submitted it to the Thursday prompt for this week, whose theme ('lost') happened to fit the story I was writing. Since the description appears below the story: A furry couple's southbound search for food and civilization in the arctic ends with tragic consequences for both of them. Inspired by the Lost episode of the same name.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2985357

As I said earlier, don't expect anything overly good - I'm a total newbie.

bah, nonesense. It took me a while to learn this hell I'm still tryinig to accept, but being too hard on yourself doesn't help. As long as youf eel comfy with what you put to paper from the mental inkwell that is your imagination, its all good.

Makaze

Postby Kyle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:33 pm

Well, here's something new for you guys! I've been helping with editing a story for someone on FA over the past week. It's a lengthy one, probably just a little less than novel length, but it's good! If you like otters, or if you like LOST, you'll like this story. I happen to fall in the latter group, but I don't mind otters either!

It deals with a tribe of otters in a tropical island setting. One such otter, torn between a life as a shaman or a salvager, discovers something underground which threatens the existence of their tribe.

It's told in 10 chapters. Here's Chapter 1!
Kyle

Previous

Return to Art Alley