Anthro Literature and Writers!

For artisans and art-fans alike to post what they want to show off. May contain material for mature audiences.

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:02 pm

So, any writers around here? In lieu of that, anyone have any good furry stories they could recommend?

Sometimes it seems like writers are the red-headed stepchildren of the furry creative community. We can't make sprays out of stories, so no showing off in TF2. You can't get your furry fix from a story with one glance like you can from a picture, either. Stories get buried awfully quick on FA due to the art flood that the site draws in; thankfully Yiffstar (despite the awful name) provides a good refuge for folks who don't have the dexterity or talent to manipulate a stylus without injuring themselves (Yo!).
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby Pitchblack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:13 am

I write, but it's not anthro fiction. It's just fiction.

The two stories I have posted:

Valkyrie - http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2432055 - Note this is a wrok in progress.

Eye of the Sorm - http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2491215

I know I said these are non-anthro and yet I posted them on FA, but that's because of DA's weird story submission with the HTML files and all that. I can just upload a text file to FA and call it done.
*They stand in my road
.....The mad, ancient nasty things
.......... tell them MOVE! or else!*
Pitchblack

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Pitchblack wrote:I write, but it's not anthro fiction. It's just fiction.

The two stories I have posted:

Valkyrie - http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2432055 - Note this is a wrok in progress.

Eye of the Sorm - http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2491215

I know I said these are non-anthro and yet I posted them on FA, but that's because of DA's weird story submission with the HTML files and all that. I can just upload a text file to FA and call it done.

Hey, sorry for the bump, but I read Eye of the Storm and thought it was pretty darn good! Now, I'm not exactly a professional writer, so I can't provide the best critique. I only had a couple issues with the story anyway - I'm not sure that the repetition of "the seas were like glass" had the impact you intended - I guess I would have described it a bit differently each time. Second, the news stories at the end may have been a bit too drawn out. I think it would have been a bit more believable if the scale of the disaster was left to the reader's imagination.

Good job with everything else, though. I know short stories are the hardest to write. End of the world stories are also hard to pull off, I think. I've been writing a story which is also set around the end of the world, although it's not quite as literal as in Eye of the Storm.

With regards to the original post, the only furry fiction I've read is from Kyell Gold, but I'm sure you guys have already read his stuff. Apparently he's the definitive furry author or something. I haven't actually bought his books, but I did read the first couple parts of Out of Position that he posted online. I must say, although I didn't read the sex scenes much (since I'm not gay!), the relationship between Dev and Lee was pretty funny in the second part.
Kyle

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 am

I'd suggest Operation Luna and Operation Chaos, by Poul Anderson. Not "anthro," but one of the main characters is a genetic werewolf, and they're excellent Science Fantasy novels.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Makaze » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:56 am

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1004522/ - not my greatest work but I liked how it came out

Makaze

Postby Kyle » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:57 pm

Makaze wrote:http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1004522/ - not my greatest work but I liked how it came out

It says I'm not allowed to view this image :(

I'm guessing it has some adult content and I need a Fur Affinity account to view it?
Kyle

Postby Makaze » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Kyle wrote:
Makaze wrote:http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1004522/ - not my greatest work but I liked how it came out

It says I'm not allowed to view this image :(

I'm guessing it has some adult content and I need a Fur Affinity account to view it?

You shouldn't, as it's labeled General Audiances like this one http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2201007/

Try refreshing or whatev?

Makaze

Postby Makaze » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Nocturnefoxx wrote:So, any writers around here? In lieu of that, anyone have any good furry stories they could recommend?

Sometimes it seems like writers are the red-headed stepchildren of the furry creative community. We can't make sprays out of stories, so no showing off in TF2. You can't get your furry fix from a story with one glance like you can from a picture, either. Stories get buried awfully quick on FA due to the art flood that the site draws in; thankfully Yiffstar (despite the awful name) provides a good refuge for folks who don't have the dexterity or talent to manipulate a stylus without injuring themselves (Yo!).

It is frustrating as a writer i will agree, to put heart into the words you put to paper, be it physical or on MS Word, and to feel cast aside because its not shiny or sparkly or even sexual in nature. Sometimes it feels like the community is very TL;DR in nature when it coems to visual vs written art on FA. And before anyone says writing isn't art. i want you to shut the computer off, go to a library and look for great folk like Orson Scott Card, Charles Dickens etc before that thought leaves your mind.

Stories get buried very quick, and in some ways, especially from some writers journals on FA make us wonder why we bother, since anyone with a minimal of skill posts something in MS paint and gets some modicum of reply. Meanwhile a writer could pour his or her heart and soul into something that is totally original and maybe get a view, more if its sexual in nature. I mean one could go on. But I look at it like this to keep me pluggin away. If one person reads something I've done, or friends have done, and actually enjoyed it. I consider it worth those days, months etc put into the work anymore.

Nocturne, thanks for reminding folks that the written word is no where near dead.

Makaze

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Makaze wrote:You shouldn't, as it's labeled General Audiances like this one http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2201007/

Try refreshing or whatev?

Yeah, it's showing up now. I've been trying to hold off on signing up for FA - once I cave then there's probably no stopping until I find myself in the fursuit parade at Anthrocon :)

My opinion of the story probably won't mean much. I'm not really into the whole macro/giantess thing, so I'm probably not the target audience. However, you may want to start by fixing all the typos and grammatical errors :) - I found quite a few of them! Beyond that, the quality of the writing seems decent. I have a hard time getting into a world with hundred-foot-tall furries, so if you're looking to reach a general audience you might want to spend a little more time with that.

For instance, I didn't even pick up the first time through that Nadia actually shrunk down in the middle of that scene. I was thinking, how is she giving mouth to mouth to this dead woman? You also may want to introduce the conflict with this character a little later - it's a little confusing to start the scene at the end of some sort of macro fight and not know who she was fighting or what the reason was.

I wish I had something for you to critique, although I do have some ideas started. Maybe I'll get a short story up on the weekend!
Kyle

Postby Kyle » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:52 am

Sorry for the double post. I'm continuing the trend!

Makaze wrote:It is frustrating as a writer i will agree, to put heart into the words you put to paper, be it physical or on MS Word, and to feel cast aside because its not shiny or sparkly or even sexual in nature. Sometimes it feels like the community is very TL;DR in nature when it coems to visual vs written art on FA. And before anyone says writing isn't art. i want you to shut the computer off, go to a library and look for great folk like Orson Scott Card, Charles Dickens etc before that thought leaves your mind.

Stories get buried very quick, and in some ways, especially from some writers journals on FA make us wonder why we bother, since anyone with a minimal of skill posts something in MS paint and gets some modicum of reply. Meanwhile a writer could pour his or her heart and soul into something that is totally original and maybe get a view, more if its sexual in nature. I mean one could go on. But I look at it like this to keep me pluggin away. If one person reads something I've done, or friends have done, and actually enjoyed it. I consider it worth those days, months etc put into the work anymore.

Nocturne, thanks for reminding folks that the written word is no where near dead.

I can't speak much to the writing community in the furry fandom - however I suspect it's pretty much consistent with the popularity of writing in general. I'm sure we all know a lot of people who've never read anything outside of high school, let alone written anything. These people either don't have the attention to devote to a novel, or don't think they'll enjoy it. I'm guessing that the furry community is primarily made of these same people - the only difference being what art interests them - not the medium it's presented in.

I don't think this is limited to the furry community. Books on the whole have probably become less popular over the years - no doubt that a story posted on DeviantArt also gets buried under all the drawings, paintings, etc. However, it will never get so bad that you can't find a place to read and write, even something as niche as furry fiction. Maybe even non-erotic furry fiction.

Why, I just found an accomplished author on FA who posts a 'Thursday Prompt', which basically tries to get people writing and critiquing each others' work based around a particular theme for that week. That has to count for something. She also has a couple short stories that I really liked:

Swear Not by the Moon - an interesting spin on werewolves, and
A Winter's Work - about a fur trapper who encounters a wolf
Kyle

Next

Return to Art Alley