[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Steam ate mah achievaments!

Steam ate mah achievaments!

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:25 am

I know there was a thread on this around here somewhere, but it appears to have been modded or deleted, because I can't find it for the life of me.

ANYWAYS!

It's been like 2 weeks and STILL I can't have access to my unlocks while on TFP's servers, both 1 AND 2. Sometimes 1 works while 2 doesn't or vice-a-versa, I can't for the life of me figure out ANY reason why it should be denying me access to my weapons! The servers will even pull BS like, "oh hello Angry_Squirrel and welcome to the other FP server! Enjoy your axtinguisher!" ("WHILE IT LASTS!") No sooner than my game crashes for the bazillionth time that day than when I re-connect, the game's gone and stolen my weapons from me.

I still have my unlockable weapons and everything, I see them just fine when looking at my loadout - going next to the spawn cabinet changes no weapons, and neither does switching weapons in the loadout screen.

Playing default Pyro/Medic is one thing, but if I'm playing on default just because Steam's decided to be a whiny b**** for no f***ing reason and not gaining any ground towards those unlocks I frankly can't function without, I don't want to play as those classes anymore.

What's up with this, guys? Shouldn't TFP servers have been updated to fix this shit long ago?!
Angry_Squirrel

Postby RumRunner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:22 am

Don't worry! There will be strippers at your funeral!
RumRunner

Postby Purplecat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:50 am

It's a valve problem and we're not the only ones affected by it. Basically the server get's disconnected from Steam, and is unable to reconnect... causing that to happen. It seems to happen especially after a steam downtime, and those happen often...

Admins can usually fix the problem temporarily by restarting the server.

Valve promised that they're fixing it, but it's been awhile.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:24 am

What the previous posts said.

I am considering making an in-game keybind to echo an explanation that this is a VALVE update issue, not a TFP Server issue. It seems opinions that it's our servers screwing players over due to poor updating on our part are legion.

One of the more amusing accusations I've heard is a rumor that we Admins are purposefully locking people's achievement weapons and items out. Quite silly besides the fact that we sometimes can't use our own unlocks, either. :3
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Purplecat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:36 am

Even more amusing is that I seen players stating "It doesn't happen on server X", then in the mailing list the server admins of same server asks for a solution on the same problem, so... believe it, it's just not us.

It's a bit of a luck if unlockables works or not really at this point. But ask a admin to restart the server, and it hopefully should fix it. I asked other server admins, and from what I heard... restarting is the only way to fix the issue, and that temporarily.

Note that the problems started after this announcement. Wouldn't be surprised if some code that prevents people from using unlockables they don't deserve also causes problems with servers who disconnected temponarily from Steam.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:02 pm

Well thank you all for assuaging my worreis that it's not just TFP related. I was half debating whether or not to make a thread on the steampowered forums complaining to them again to get this fixed (THE MORE PEOPLE COMPLAIN, THE FASTER IT'LL GET WORKED ON, RIGHT?!), but as I only recalled experiencing it with TFP, I thought I should at least check with you guys first.

(Then again, I haven't really been playing many other servers aside from TFP... at least not long enough to notice if the unlocks are gone or not... <.<)
Angry_Squirrel

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Indeed. As a side note, it is a chipper thing to consider if people might be believing it's just our servers because..well..the great majority of their TF2 play comes from TFP. :D
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:56 am

Quite.

I've not found a time when there wasn't at least a few people on one of the servers; beats the pants off my old regular, which was only usually at night, and now my "night" is their bedtime, so I don't play there as much. Finding #1 and #2 full is a bummer, but I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing... ;) (I do *not* like those 32/33 man servers, that's just unnatural...)
Angry_Squirrel

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:24 am

I usually try to avoid servers that go over 24 players as their limit. TF2 really doesn't need more than 12 players on a team.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Return to Help