TF2(and other steam games) slow start up time

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Draccy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:26 am

Ok, i have Vista and Steam. And for some reason, each of my games takes about 5-10 minutes to start up. I know a few steam friends that can vouch for me on that. I've gone through almost every process told to me about reducing start up time, but nothing has worked. Anyone with these same problems that have fixed it and can lend me a hand?
Draccy

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Start with the basics:

Run Windows/Microsoft Update first, and make sure you're up to date on all patches and service packs. Microsoft's Malicious Program Removal Tool is VITAL -- it runs before you even log into the system, and removes known malware. It gets updated constantly.

Now, run any anti-virus and anti-malware (spyware/adware) programs you have. Clean your system out!

Do the above on a weekly basis, like you were taking care of your car. Regular maintance helps Windows.

Also, kill any indexing or searching. It's nice is you're searching for something constantly, but most of the time you're playing games and indexing will kill performance.

If your primary web browser is Internet Explorer, switch to Firefox. IE's still rather integrated into the system, and leaks viruses and spyware like nobody's biz. Firefox is much safer (although if you want even more protection and willing to put in the effort, put in the "NoScript" extension and tweak it, and/or buy a license of Sandboxie, which allows you to sandbox or keep programs to themselves).
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Jinx » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 pm

I don't see anything specifically mentioned on Steam's page about Vista issues, but you might want to check the page out anyway: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -IFHZ-2170
Jinx

Return to Help