TF2 Sprays - specifically 'spray.vtf'

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Scratch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Ok, so I've followed the various instructions on making a spray and I've been able to accomplish a few that I like. What i've been encountering is this... I copy over my .vtf and .vmt files to the logos and UI directories, but once I get into the game there is a new file created called 'spray' which is often whichever spray I had imported through the system. If I delete these newly created .vtf and .vmt files and restart the game, they show up again.

It's very confusing. I'm not sure what I did wrong or what I'm doing wrong. If someone can offer some suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Help the cranky old fart out, kpzthx!

-Scratch
Scratch

Postby Jinx » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Wait, you're trying to remove a custom spray?
Jinx

Postby Scratch » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 am

Sort of, I started with one spray I made, and suddenly I have this 'spray' file. I added 2 others and now I can't get anything but this 'spray' file. I went into the directories and deleted all the files, even went into CFG and removed config.cfg but still this 'spray' gets recreated. It's been very odd.
Scratch

Postby Purplecat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 pm

As far I can tell, spray.vtf is part of the Steamworks system that TF2 uses. So the idea is that whatever spray.vtf is (it usually changes to whatever spray you selected before), it will be on other computers as you log onto them. If it truly annoys you, turning off steamworks in the advanced multiplayer options might help.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Help