Newbie Map Building Question

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Tehrasha » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 am

So far I have managed to get a working leak-proof skybox, working spawn points, a working resupply cabinet, and a trigger that spwns and drops heavy rocks from the sky when damaged.

The problem is that the rocks dont kill me. Once they are on the ground, they are quite physical and I cannot walk through them, but they fall right through me, usually trapping me within them.

I tried attaching a trigger_hurt texture to them, but that replaces the rock texture, so invisible blocks crush me instead.

How does one assign 'hurt' to a physics object within the Orange Box Engine and TF2 mapping?

3klickphillip has this wonderful tutorial, but he is using the HL2 Engine for CSS, and I know they do some things differently. I am essentially using his example, but without the auto-respawning timer.

Edit: I was going to post this in the HELP section, but that seemed more oriented with the playing of the game rather than building... Do we have enough map builders to warrant a sub-forum?
Last edited by NikkyVix on Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nudged to the proper sub-forum.
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:22 am

Can you wrap the invisible hurt-rock with a regular rock? It'll double the face count but may actually work around this issue.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Rayne » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:11 am

They should kill you if they manage to get enough velocity. Mind dumping the ent data for your boulder physboxes?
Rayne

Postby Tehrasha » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:43 am

I have also tried parenting a separate entity with the trigger_hurt, but it does not fall with the block, it is just left hanging in the air where the block spawns. (hurt area confirmed with noclip causing instant death)

If velocity is an issue, I am going to have to set it at some insane height. Takes nearly a full second to hit the ground now.
Makes a very satisfying, ground shaking, stony CRUNCH when it hits. :)
Tehrasha

Postby Tehrasha » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:58 am

I figured it out...

I do need to use a 2nd entity for the triggur_hurt, the key was adding that entity to the same point_template to be spawned with the func_physbox entity. I had the hurt pre-spawned, and that apparently breaks the 'parenting' that would allow it to move with the block.

Duh duh duh... :roll:

Thanks guys, it was your comments that gave me ideas of different ways to try it.
Tehrasha

Return to Help