Work On A Map- Looking For Insight

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Did some comparison with the other easily-available 5 point capture map, Granary. Granary's dimensions are 6400 wide by 12928 long, with roughly 2400 of that width playable, and the entirety of the length. Given that my map is just about six thousand long at this point that makes me feel a bit better. I've been reworking the trenches to give more space to run and a slightly more open feel. All the paths will converge into a small open area that's decent for skirmishing as well as the center elevated areas that will provide a lot more room if you want to have a big brawl. The culverts definitely need more light; I'm using the Sawmill settings for light_environment and it's good enough to let you see what's going on but it's still only light_env; once you get inside there's a definite need for additional light.

If I can figure out demos and FRAPS, I may do a short video to show off the work so far.
Stormcaller3801

Postby iller » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:29 am

Dirtwork 2.0?
iller

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:40 am

Not so much, no. This is just the center of the map, remember. I'm intending to add more conventional buildings for the other four capture points, and the elevator usage here is primarily intended to deal with the fact that I can't really stick a decent stairwell in a space that size without having to extend it significantly off the sides of the map. Which I could do, but I'd really rather not. Each elevator will connect to a tunnel that will connect to another point back near the appropriate spawn room. It's the traditional 'safe, yet longer and slower' route that Valve tends to put on their maps. Plus it lets Spies avoid the threat of narrow trenches filled with Pyros and Heavies. More or less. I'm debating whether or not to include a selection of buildings in the middle of the map. I might end up doing that just to fill space and block sight lines, which would help with the amount of computing power you'd need to run things. But it would also limit the utility of the sniper towers I've been intending to add in.

I'm also intending to have something besides dirt involved. I'm just not fooling around with the grass areas until I start working on the displacements.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:06 pm

This is me learning how to do Displacements. Which will require redoing large portions of the map, due to the way you set up for it. But with luck that shouldn't be too hard to work into things. It also helps show off that the map won't be one flat neutral grey color. There'll be a good deal of green involved, at least on those portions that aren't intended to look like they were carved out with a backhoe. The ones that are supposed to look that way will have water in them, which should help mitigate things a bit. Plus there'll be the rain, and buildings, and random junk just scattered about.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 am

7688 long, 2272 wide, and 332 deep so far. That's the main portion of the map, with all the trenches leading to the central hill, and of course, mirrored.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Getting back into this. If you care to have a non-playable, work in progress, yes I probably know that part needs fixing sort of version, just download this file, upload it into Hammer, and then File -> Run Map. You can then spawn as the team and class of your choice in the single spawnpoint in the middle of the map, and run around getting a general feel for the layout of the thing. Or at least that portion of it that constitutes the middle.

My basic idea at this point is that people will spawn quickly, rush forward leaping across the tops of the trenches, then smash together in one giant conflagration in the center point. Then whichever team doesn't cap it will end up retreating into the trenches, starting a bloody and costly fight as they attempt to stop the opposing team. From that point either one team will be steamrolled, getting pushed back out of their own trenchworks and left defending their own base, or they'll engage in a constant, interesting and exciting skirmish amidst the tunnels and trenches, on land and in the water, and eventually one side or the other will steadily push forwards, eventually capturing the FOB, which will open up forward respawn points, and then stage the final assault on the opposing base. Which hopefully will all be quite fun.

Linky
Stormcaller3801

Previous

Return to Help