Achievement Hunting vs Game Winning

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:52 pm

This isn't quite so much a plea for help or offer of advice as it is a point for discussion.

There are various achievements out there that require you to play a certain way. These may not be the most effective ways to play. For instance, there was a map last night where the team was... let's call it 'strongly encouraged' by one of our teammates to only play Heavy, Medic, or Soldier. Personally, I didn't want to. Why? Mostly because I was trying for Head of the Class, and I'd already played a round as each of those three. After a while (and lots and lots of... encouragement) I switched. We did manage to clear the point, but lost the round anyways. Later on, in another map, I managed to do my full round of Scout. Several, in fact. I think the point where the game congratulated me for outliving my previous best as a Scout by managing to survive 58 seconds was where I acknowledged I suck at Scout. Similarly, I was able to establish that I make an absolutely horrible Spy. At least in part because it took me several minutes to figure out I had to decloak before I could shoot people.

But it did get me thinking. And primarily my thought process was centered around the question of trying for achievements versus trying to win a map. As a Medic I'm constantly aware of the fact that I lack an Ubersaw. And I know I only need three more Achievements to get it. So I'm consistently trying to shoot Scouts to death and considering whether I should Uber the Scout rather than the Heavy. I don't, because I know it's a bad idea for the team. But I'm still tempted. Similarly I know there's other gear I'd really like to have, and I'll probably be trying to earn them through Achievements as much as just hoping they show up. This could end up being detrimental to winning maps. Particularly if I'm, say, running around throwing jars of piss at people rather than trying to headshot Heavies. Or healing Heavies. Or making one of my semi-suicidal rushes towards a Sentry to draw fire so that a Demoman can safely blow it to kingdom come.

In any case, what are your opinions on the constant search for new Achievements and the accompanying weapons, versus playing solely to help out your team?
Stormcaller3801

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:15 pm

Well, with the exception of Sniper, because I don't really play him much, I've gotten all of my unlocks through normal play. Granted, I don't really play ANY of the classes normally, and have been known to do such things as...camp around a corner with shovel, as soldier. Repeatedly.

But I got my achievements through normal gameplay, and while a few of the medic ones were annoying as hell, (the irony is after getting the syringe gun achievement for killing scouts, I had a round where I actually KILLED fifty scouts in one life. ._. Well, fifty people in general.. It was stage3 goldrush, and I finally just started spamming anyway, and someone kritz'd me a few times. xD; ))

But in general, I'd prefer people just play normally... Most of the achievements for classes you get that way, to begin with, and if there's an achievement you REALLY need,ask people to help you get it when the server's low pop, etc.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Return to Help