Sprites not showing up in-game

Don't know how to get out of spawn? HLSS plays sounds really slowly? Or you need a dispenser? Come here!

Postby Listy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:20 am

For some reason, Team Fortress 2 doesn't seem to display any sprites, such as fire effects, the medic's healing beam, and above-the-head sprites. I don't remember changing any option involving this, but is there a console setting that I could check to see if something has been changed?
Listy

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:48 am

I used to get this problem on my laptop.

First try running a defrag on TF2. If this doesn't work; are you using an ATI? If so, try updating the drivers, and that may fix it.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Purplecat » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:06 am

Sounds like the particles are fucking up for you somehow. I think it's possible to turn them off with cvars, but it's unlikely that a such cvar changed on it's own. Especially since I think turning off particles is considered a cheat by the TF2 client.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Listy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:08 am

Unfortunately, Vista and ATI's strange updater program thinks that I am using the correct drivers, though it may be screwy due to me having a mobile version of their graphics card. The game's still plenty playable, though it does make it a bit hard to know exactly where the person I am healing is as a medic, or to see any of those symbols that supposedly pop up over people's heads, or fight pyros.
Listy

Postby Ayeaka » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Mobile ATI. Ah, that explains it then.

Yeah, I had the same problems. I ignored the updater and got a new driver regardless, and that fixed it, but...
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:47 pm

You may want to run Spinrite on the drive just to touch all the sectors and get everything to a sane state on the hard drive.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Return to Help