[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - So why is it called Fat Blu?

So why is it called Fat Blu?

POOT DISPENSA HEER

Postby Helios » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Alright so everyone that's played with me for a while (not THAT way you pervs!) knows I have an interesting name for the Payload Bomb a la Cart. The Heavy calls it "Glorious Bomb Cart" or "Little Cart" etc. but I call it "Fat Blu."

So people are probably wondering where I got the name.

Well, I'll tell you.

It's a homage in 2 parts.

Firstly: The bomb itself bears a resemblance to the Atomic Bomb dropped on Nagasaki in World War II, that bomb was called "Fat Man." The bomb in TF2 is a blue-striped version of Fat Man, complete with dispenser, so that's how the name was born.

But the name stuck because of nostalgia.

I'm assuming most of the American members here watched Sesame Street while growing up, and are familiar with the character Grover, a blue monster that spends most episodes nearly killing himself to help others out, an ideal candidate for a Medic or Engineer I think ;>

Anyway, Grover seems to have alot of jobs, but usually works as a waiter at Charlie's restaurant. Almost all of his "job" sketches have him interacting with one particular "anything muppet" character (anything muppets are generic muppets that can be used in various scenes). This muppet is blue, with a round bald head, orange hair and mustache, pink nose, beady eyes, and is usually dressed in a business suit.

The characters name is Fred Johnson, but fans often refer to him by his anything muppet designation which is...you guessed it: Fat Blue.

Mr. Johnson encounters Grover in various locations, like baseball games, the park, even an airplane, but typically they meet in a restaurant. Grover typically causes alot of trouble for Mr. Johnson.

Some acts by Grover include (but are not limited too):

Bringing an incomplete order several times
Bringing the wrong order (such as a Grapefruit on a bun, or a Heavy-sized hamburger)
Bringing the right order, but dropping it onto the floor, or Mr.Johnson
Generally causing him misfortune and being an annoyance

There's alot of videos on YouTube of the misadventures of the two, I'll post some links later for anyone interested.

So there yah have it. The name was inspired by a World at War, but stuck thanks to childhood, and a certain Hyena :p

Now I hope you learned something ^v^
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Purplecat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:10 am

I thought it was solely a World War II reference with the Fat boy atomic bomb. Heh.

Despite being called the fat boy, I think it was one of the more weaker atomic bombs in history. Which is understandable, since its' one of the earliest ones.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:17 am

It's Fat MAN :P

And It was actually a different design than the Hiroshima bomb (called "Little Boy") in that Fat Man used Uranium 238 that fissions as Plutonium. Little Boy did more damage though I think because Hiroshima is located in a valley, and the blast waves ricocheted of the walls of the valley.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Cpt. Nuke » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:51 am

Cpt. Nuke

Return to Fun