[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Guessing the next upgrades...

Guessing the next upgrades...

POOT DISPENSA HEER

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:59 am

Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby guno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:10 am

You totally set yourself up for a monty python holy handgrenade joke and you blew it ):

I want a boomerang
guno

Postby Purplecat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 am

Spy, Scout or Engineer is most likely next. And it's those that I would like to speculate the most about.

I assume with the wood bat, it starts of being more powerful than the Alumium one but cracks after some use, and get's weaker?

I remember hearing suggestions that taunt wise, the knife taunt would basically count as a legit facestab and the cigarette taunt would lit someone on fire but barely do any damage otherwise.

Another suggestion I loved and heard somewhere was a shotgun for soldiers that would do more damage midair, but less damage otherwise. Promotes a strategy of juggling, but also makes it harder for the soldier when he runs out of rocket ammo.

Valve have experimented with making teleporters and dispensers upgradable to increase the usefulness with the engineer (though it obviously requires more effort from the engineer with more upgradable buildings). Apparently they had this back before the medic update, where they invited the press to play the game. Maybe they are just waiting for the engineer update until they do this. (Valve also feels that in certain situations, Engineer can turn out to be a frustrating class to play and they want to fix that).

Despite Spy being my most played class, I'm not sure what his gear and utilities would be replaced with. Maybe a knife that recharges the cloak, but have a slow cooldown (as in, delay after the hit)... which means that repeated backstabs are a lot harder to pull off, but make individual getaways easier. Spy is in a need of some tweaks, mostly in terms of flexibility. Not a straight buff though, becuse I don't want a James Bond kind of spy that can kill a whole team ;).

Actually now I think on it, a some kind of legit wallhack unlock for spy would be intresting. A common cause of me being killed as a spy is an enemy hiding around the corner... which I bump into either while cloaked or disguised.

For engineers, they could always have unlocks both towards offensive engineers and defensive. And maybe something to replace the teleporter. While the teleporter is quite useful on most control point maps, most CTF maps are too small for most people to bother with setting up a forward base with teleporters (it happens, but not as often). They could have a mobile but weaker sentry (for offensive engineers). Valve have stated that anything is possible with the updates, so becuse only the shotgun, wrench and pistol is on the Engineer screen... doesn't mean it will be that way when it's the engineers turn. :)

Another fun idea was a sentry with manual aim. It requires more effort on the part of the Engineer, as he have to point where it can shoot but on the other hand it would have more range than a usual sentry. A laser pointer would be used for this, which might also replace the Engineer pistol. Probably some kind of damage falloff for extreme distances, so Engineers don't use their manually controlled sentries as some kind of makeshift artillery weapon.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Fernin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

The claims medic gives no anesthetic! 90-days delinquent get you Repo treatment! I’m the mask horror on your street corner, gonna make your momma mourn you, I’m the Night Surgeon!
Fernin

Postby pablofiasco » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 pm

actually, id like to see the scouts get teh artillery pointer, encourage some teamwork :)
pablofiasco

Postby Kellervo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:22 am

I think it'd be very interesting if the sentry replacement was optimized for quick setup / damage. The current Level 1 Sentry is useless, level 2 can still fall to a single offensive class, and a Level 3 will shrivel in front of a single uber. But what if the replacement sentry started off at, say, equivelant to Level 2, this new sentry's level 2 was comparable firepowerwise to a Level 3, and the Level 3 would be much more powerful / more pushback? Costing an appropriately higher amount of metal of course, say, 175 to set up, 200 for the first and 300 for the second upgrade, forcing the engineer to stray from his nest to get the materials.
I'm a shaaark
I'm a shaaark!
You know what to do. :v
Kellervo

Postby River » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:26 am

There's a lot of passive stuff here, but i'm tryin to be creative ;-;

Sniper -

One shot rifle
No Chargeup, headshot = instant kill
Any non-headshots = 0 damage
No or Low set damage to buildings
15 bullets
No laserscope (Aiming is much harder, sniper doesn't give away his position)

Steady Arm gloves (or some other bs name; either way, it replaces the SMG)
Whenever you're caught on fire, your aim does not fluctuate. You still take damage over time as usual.

Spykiller (replaces the Khukri)
100% crit rate on any disguised spy; otherwise does 50% damage.

Spy -

Stungun
Does no damage, does NOT remove disguise
20 "bullets"
Imagine a miniature blowback effect useable only on characters (not bullets), in a much smaller cone of effect
Mainly used to counteract pyros (or medics) when you're running away. (since it doesn't get rid of disguise, if an engie happened to be situated near an edge (imagine dustbowl pt. 3, the last point), you could blow him off then sap his sentry.)
Oh, and it has the same range as the magnum with no dropoff

Sapbomb
The spy throws his sapper at about the range of the pyro's tip of the flamethrower (no bouncing; as soon as it hits the ground it sticks), and after 2 seconds it instantly saps all buildings in an area about twice the size of a sticky bomb's area of effect (possibly smaller, I don't know the ranges too well).
1 "bullet" that can only be reobtained once 200 ammo is picked up (perhaps the new sapper would display the number on there starting at 0, and once it's 200 it' becomes useable)

Assassin's Knife
The spy never has any backstab animation; he always has his normal, quick forward stabs or horizontal slashes at any range. However, he loses the ability to change disguises.

Scout -

Hawk
The Hawk has a thinner cone of effect, meaning it's more accurate at long ranges. However it's maximum damage output is lowered by about 20 points. (Having a thicker cone of effect would mean scout's doing like 120 damage upclose. Which is just too good >.o)

Sideways-Baseball Cap (replaces the pistol)
This bonk means business o:
Increases melee damage by 8-12 points and increases crit rate by 5%

Slugger
Has a 15% higher crit rate, but deals 50% damage otherwise.

Engineer - (There's already a lot of creativity here, so i'm just going to go pure buildingness >.o)

Big Dispenser (removes the shotgun and replaces the Dispenser with the Big one - doesn't have to be upgraded)
The big dispenser has a 25% faster heal rate and can heal at 1.3x the range

Titanium Teleporter (removes the pistol and replaces the teleporter)
Neither the titanium teleporter entrance nor the exit can be sapped. They also have 1.5x as much life.

Smart Sentry (if both the pistol and shotgun are removed, the sentry is upgraded)
The sentry's threat range is increased to 1.2x. A level 3 sentry's missiles and turret may aim independently of each other and will not aim at the same target if another threat is present in it's range, even if the priority is lower. The turret will also aim at sticky bombs within 1 character width's range in an attempt to remove them. If the threat of a single sticky bomb isn't removed within 1 second, it will no longer aim at the given target. (I know the AI would be hard to do; I can see valve having a sentry waste all it's ammo on a sticky that's right below it and thus won't move; therefore this removes that obstacle).

Soldier - (Soldier and demo may be a bit uncreative cause..well. They're already way too good D: They don't need counter-picking specific weapons cuz no one really beats them)

Small rockets
80% damage (including to yourself)
80% area of effect
5x25 clip
Same Rocket Jump Propulsion

For the shotgun, the juggling one Ailure mentioned wins hands down imo :3

Metal Boots (replaces the shovel)
Lowers self-induced rocket damage by an additional 15%

Demo -

Remove him from the game. Seriously. He's way too good D:

Ok ok maybe not. How about instead, everytime he does the drinking taunt he catches on fire.
River

Postby STrRedWolf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:56 pm

This is what I get for being bored at work again. Two more possible upgrades for the Sniper:

Corner-wrap rifle: It goes around corners and fires there. Accuracy's lower, and the recoil will turn heads (and bodies).
Crossbow w/explosive arrows: *Thwip* *BOOOM!*
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Echoen » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:37 pm

A possible sniper replacement would be an older kind of rifle with no laser scope. You would have a sight, but it would be much harder to aim. However, it would deal 150% damage.
A possible replacement for the spy's knife would be that you deal double damage but can't backstab.
A possible disguise swap would be you gain the health of whatever class you are mimicking, but as long as you have that disguise kit equipped, you cannot use cloak.
Echoen

Postby Arcalane » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Ironsights, eh? Be interesting to see a TF2-style K98.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Next

Return to Fun