How to succeed with Pyros....

POOT DISPENSA HEER

Postby Pitchblack » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:31 pm

*Reads the above comment...*

Sounds about right to me, except for the so-called 'third option'. While it might be a viable tactic, it eliminates the pyro's primary advantage: Lots of close-in damage. There are other classes, namely the soldier and demo, who can provide much more damage than the pyro in the exact same situations that that tactic would be used in. The only time when I would ever use that would be if I was using the flaregun, and even then likely not.
*They stand in my road
.....The mad, ancient nasty things
.......... tell them MOVE! or else!*
Pitchblack

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:36 pm

I find doing things like using fire to block snipers out of your view to be ineffective and a kind of a waste of fuel. Not that it's a bad strategy, I've just never found it to be very useful. My strategy when dealing with snipers is pulling out the shotgun (or I guess the flaregun would work for this too) and strafing and shooting at them while running towards them until you're close enough to start burning. It seems risky but I find it to be very effective at keeping snipers at bay.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:29 am

Or you could sneak up and axe them.

:3
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby DNAtheHelix » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:12 am

Why don't the have "No Pyro" servers like they have "No AWP" servers for CSS? I'd love to see one of those.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
DNAtheHelix

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:24 am

There are.

And they suck.]

Most of the players on the no-pyro servers are whiny little asses that play little more than soldier, scout, and medic.
And obviously, if someone plays another class and kicks their ass, they're hacking. >.>;
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Ayeaka wrote:There are.

And they suck.]

Most of the players on the no-pyro servers are whiny little asses that play little more than soldier, scout, and medic.
And obviously, if someone plays another class and kicks their ass, they're hacking. >.>;

Especially Pyros, because apparently there are people who really, truly believe that there is nothing beyond a W+M1 Pyro. The concept of a "good Pyro", who ambushes, uses all of his weapons, and can effectively hit-and-run is lost on them. If they do encounter one, clearly he's either hacking, or weapon spamming.
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby Makaze » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:12 pm

Nocturnefoxx wrote:
Ayeaka wrote:There are.

And they suck.]

Especially Pyros, because apparently there are people who really, truly believe that there is nothing beyond a W+M1 Pyro. The concept of a "good Pyro", who ambushes, uses all of his weapons, and can effectively hit-and-run is lost on them. If they do encounter one, clearly he's either hacking, or weapon spamming.

Well what was a flamethrower's tactic in WW 2 and shit, spray the damn area with cleansing, yellow demon light...right?

Makaze

Postby Pathia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:13 pm

"How to succeed with Pyros...."

Well...first step is to buy me a drink...and then....
Pathia

Postby CrashFu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:54 pm

Makaze wrote:
Nocturnefoxx wrote:
Ayeaka wrote:Well what was a flamethrower's tactic in WW 2 and shit, spray the damn area with cleansing, yellow demon light...right?

Pretty much. In WW2 a flamethrower shot a highly pressurized stream of liquid that you probably could have shot from one 2fort battlement to the opposite one. And due to how much this liquid splashed and taking into effect the flames inevitably spreading through the immediate area, as well as filling the area with thick, toxic fumes, you were essentially dealing with a mid-range isntant-kill AoE area-denial, blinding, toxic DoT attack of ultimate dooooom. Heck, you didn't even have to spray over much of the area. Just spray into one window or splash the stream around a corner and everyone in the room would die in the most horrific manner possible.

Clearly the reason all game developers favor the hollywood "5-foot gout of flaming gas" flamethrower design is purely for balance reasons. Who the hell would use a gun in these games if they could have a realistic flamer, am I right? :)

But back to TF2.... I've been playing pyro since before it was actually a viable class. Anyone remember those days? The physics for the flame was like a big wet noodle... or a streamer... and it was about as good as a melee attack at point blank, and anything beyond that it was easily the most pathetic attack in the entire game.

I've always thought that the key to being a good pyro was to wait for the right opportunity, to get as close as possible before the enemy sees you, and then once you start flaming.... go completely bat*@#! until either you or every other living thing in the area is dead. Or alternately, get in that sneaky bit of flame and then duck around the corner. Deny your opponent the satisfaction of turning around and blowing you away in a single shot, let him burn for a couple seconds and then when he goes running for health, engage with a shotgun. These methods seem to work pretty well, for the most part, except of course that like with most weapons in the game: DAMAGE IS FREAKIN' VARIABLE.

I've had instances where I've found enemies just standing still, or moving in a straight line, so I'll get up real close and hold my flame directly on them for like, two whole seconds. They'll turn around, kill me in one shot, and get away with half their health. On the contrary, when I run into enemy pyros they'll just fart out a single puff of flame and it will somehow do 175+ damage, killing me in less than a second. As I do with everything else in this game, I'm going to blame lag compensation for this nonsense.
CrashFu

Postby Pathia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:10 pm

CrashFu wrote:Clearly the reason all game developers favor the hollywood "5-foot gout of flaming gas" flamethrower design is purely for balance reasons. Who the hell would use a gun in these games if they could have a realistic flamer, am I right? :)

Aliens started this perhaps, unless they got it from someone else?

Incidentally, Killing Floor's flame thrower is pretty much a burning liquid pump, it's fairly close to the real thing at least in range and such.
Pathia

PreviousNext

Return to Fun