[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Spawn Layout, Ideas & Suggestions

Spawn Layout, Ideas & Suggestions

We don't need no stinkin' blueprints.

Postby Chittebengo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:49 am

Another idea I was discussing with Pink would be a large, open volcano caldera. We discussed boring down along the edges of the caldera, into the lava, or above the lava, typically in a spiral pattern.

Other snowy ideas pending.
Chittebengo

Postby Pink_Luigi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 am

Following some of the new plans that were discussed between Chittebengo, Vintage Griffin, Caigan, Mawringfox and myself. One of the plans spoken positively of was a floating platform akin to "Kami's Lookout". And as such Chitte and I have been discussing and working on ideas. This is the first of 3 prototypes. I have in mind to make.

Lookout Prototype A
The platform is a 99 block diameter, and is 50 blocks tall. If placed just a few blocks above sea level, it leaves ample room between the top and skybox for some tall buildings or structures.

Glowstone Road: Just that, Representing how the roads, however they are made, would divide the platform. The apex at the top could be a main gate if the platform is bridged to land. Or lead in to a Jump platform, for daring players to leap in to the sea below.
Ignore the wooden + marks, those are there for my own measuring purposes.

Com/Chest: This area would be set for the planned community center with dump chests, a place for well made players to drop unwanted items for others to take.
Mall/Booths: This area is for a compact mall (Perhaps a lineup of shops, splitting the 'mall' in to better organization then the Pony Mall had) as well as outside booths set up for Caigan's planned "User Shops".
Farm: A wide area set up for farm equipment. I'm still sticking to the idea of having these within reach of the main spawn and thus easily accessible to all from New to Experienced player. The area is left large as it is since the Com and Mall centers can be built to size on their own plots. Even with my compact designs, the farms take up a pre-set space, as well as leaving so me space open for future farm ideas.

Blue Circle: Chitte and I loved the idea of having a central fountain or monument of sorts. The center triangle would be set aside for that very reason. A small green park outlining an eye catching, but not outlandish center piece.
Diamond Cross/Bricks: The diamond cross in the middle would be the world's spawning point, as well as the goto point for the platform's /warp command. I was thinking some fancy platform to symbolize it. Perhaps a chamber of sorts, akin to the resurrection chambers in Bioshock? Just tossing ideas. The brick lines represent bulletin boards. One free for all users to abuse, and one admin-locked for server-specific information.

Purple Circles: Without that horizontal walkway, the Com and Mall centers had far too much room. Split like this we gain a new section for more buildings. Chitte and I had suggestions for putting an Eatery(With automated cooker). An Alchemy lab for potions, enchanting and books. Tavern/Inn for new players to room in, or some kind of mockup spa/pool for looks. Any ideas for useful structures would be appreciated. So far I'm voting for the Eatery and Lab.

Jail: Not shown in this prototype. Mawring gave me the idea of having it under the top platform. Have about 4 cells along the wall with iron bar windows, So there'd likely be a stairwell situated somewhere on the platform to get down.

Overall I'd imagine most of the platform to be admin locked. Save for the Com center's dump chests, the User booths at the mall, and of course the farms.
Pink_Luigi

Postby Pink_Luigi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Here's the 2nd of the 3 prototypes I have in mind to do.

Lookout Prototype Y
Ignore the black + signs. Again, those are just for my own measuring purposes. :P

Using the same legend as above, most of the buildings and whatnot are in the same spots, just given a little more breathing room to space out in.
In the center we swap the spawn point and the fountain. Putting the latter in the middle amidst a grassy park type deal (IE the lime green wool) with the spawn platform situated somewhere in it.

I also realized that in both layouts, while we could have a main gate at top end of both, The roads reaching the sides and bottom could be cut short rather then travel right in to the edge of the platform. We could put more buildings there and the roads run right in to them. I'll put in some new shots later as example. These are just layout ideas, it's not like they can't be changed as we wish.
Pink_Luigi

Postby Pink_Luigi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 pm

Apparently I misunderstood what Chittebengo was suggesting. He suggested an upward stack, similar to the "Tower of Hanoi" game. I'll see about making a quick mockup for that as well.

Lookout Prototype, Concentric O

And an angle shot to better show off the floor details.

Like in the previous Legend. The Red wool represents roughly where all the communal buildings would go, free dump chests, bulletin board and the like.
Purple would represent 'other' buildings/shops. Like the jail. a library for the future usable books, lab for potions, and the eatery. All on the top level.

Below we have a ring set up solely for regular shops. Both admin created and player created.

In the bottom floor, I figure I could spread out evenly the farms, maybe have them melded with the walls somehow.

And in the center of course is the small park, fountain/monument, and the spawn point.

The Glowstone was just a quick 'stair' I made. Chitte suggested having four going from top to bottom in a NESW pattern. Or perhaps a spiral staircase running along the wall? Who knows.

That's it for my current ideas. What's everyone think?
Pink_Luigi

Postby Sekh765 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:10 pm

These seem interesting, but I am curious. Justh ow big are you planning on making this area? I was under the impression they'd be medium sized/small areas to just get people some equipment and get the hell out so they don't all build in one area. I think the largest area will be the public/private marketplace? These designs seem HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE O_O
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Pink_Luigi » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Pink_Luigi

Postby Chittebengo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:07 am

Basically, we're building Jetson-style sky-rise accommodations. I'm in favour of the void stamp, personally, and not having too much of a visible horizon, or one that is very distant and in-accessible. That in itself should promote viewing the town then leaving by the RATS, going in one of the four cardinal directions and establishing new settlements at those outposts. Making the main spawn inaccessible by land (subway only) also makes it somewhat unique. Would this be a PITA?

My thoughts on the void stamp is really just for sadism.. slightly chuckling whenever someone drops into it and loses their inventory... which promotes purchasing from the player-run market when you have to buy back what you lost.
Chittebengo

Postby Pink_Luigi » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:21 am

I like better having the town hover over open water for a safer fall for goofballs.

However, I do like the Void Stamp if just to have a clear, defined, 'Do not build here' type area without really needing to resort to a large scale admin locked zone.

And I seriously doubt this place will be inaccessible by land. It'll have a bridge, tether, elevator of some sort. As easy as access as we can get it, short of just using the /warp command.
Pink_Luigi

Postby Chittebengo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:49 am

See file below. I use MS Paint. Don't hate.
Attachments
concentric.png
This is what I was picturing, like cake layers leading up to the community center and some kind of central eye catch like a fountain or tree or tower.
concentric.png (23.86 KiB) Viewed 11436 times
Chittebengo

Postby Pink_Luigi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:06 pm

This is, roughly, what design Chittebengo was getting me to try and make.

Pink_Luigi

PreviousNext

Return to Maps & Projects