Spawn Layout, Ideas & Suggestions

We don't need no stinkin' blueprints.

Postby Chittebengo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:57 am

We think the swirl, though pretty, might be too much redstone, vint.
Chittebengo

Postby griffin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:50 am

MawringFox wrote:
griffin wrote:
Code: Select all
Far: 400
Normal: 256
Small: 128
Tiny: 64

I think those values are wrong.. I dont know where you got those.

The Minecraft Chunk Cache (Multiplayer) most of the times only has 441 Chunks loaded (in a square)
Taking the square root of 441 results in 21Chunks/axis...

21Chunks are 336blocks and because you are in the center of the square you have to divide it by 2..

You dont see more than 168 blocks at far infront of you.
Thats why i dont know how you get onto those 400

Those numbers are for 1.8 version in SP I believe. Figured MP would have less drawing distance to save on network bandwidth.
Anyways, the point is that you don't see very far so there's no need for big, flashy signs and arrows. After visiting several minor stations I found Chitte's lava arrows to be quite adequate at pointing people towards the Nether gates buried somewhere in the landscape. They only need to be raised to slightly higher levels, and made 3-dimentional.

Chittebengo wrote:We think the swirl, though pretty, might be too much redstone, vint.

It's the number of chunk updates it causes, right? I took measurements. An area away from spawn gets ~300 chunk updates while the area at spawn with the ring circuitry active gets about ~750.
So what might be causing that? Is it lighting updates caused by repeaters going on and off, or the actual state of them going on and off? Would reducing the number of repeaters to a single width ring help in any way?
Or does it simply generate too much load on the server?

Either way, i'm not particularly concerned with whether it stays or goes. Just thought to give the ring some meaning and have it "do" something in the imaginary functionality of the island.
I'm trying to imagine myself with a personality.
griffin

Postby Pink_Luigi » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:31 pm

griffin wrote:So what might be causing that? Is it lighting updates caused by repeaters going on and off, or the actual state of them going on and off? Would reducing the number of repeaters to a single width ring help in any way?
Or does it simply generate too much load on the server?

Either way, i'm not particularly concerned with whether it stays or goes. Just thought to give the ring some meaning and have it "do" something in the imaginary functionality of the island.

I figure we can leave it, for now. However earlier I tried decorating the bridge's chains with a similar set up. Trying to use redstone torches as flickering christmas lights. It cause -major- server/client lag. Chitte and I got booted a few times even. It only resolved once I destroyed my set up. The redstone ring may be straining the server's update capabilities for that area.

However I'm willing to leave the ring for now, I think it looks nicer then anything we've had. If, when the server goes live, it becomes a problem. Then we can simply go down and break it apart. The lag my set up generated settled down after moments of breaking the circuit. I'll still be working on my Glowstone crystals, so we'll have a fallback if it comes to that.
Pink_Luigi

Postby griffin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 am

Re-made the ring to use a lot less repeaters. The lag is no longer noticeable even for me, who half across the globe and playing with a 256x256 texture pack.
Design has changed but I'm still sticking with the "technomage" theme. Made Chitte's glowstone rune pads to be my power source and installed 4 'batteries' on the ring that accumulate and discharge the energy that feeds both the heavy duty load bearing fans and the antigrav field that keeps the island in the air
I'm trying to imagine myself with a personality.
griffin

Postby Chittebengo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:09 am

Thank god, we finally make sense and are relevant.
Chittebengo

Previous

Return to Maps & Projects