What's going on with the server lately?

NO CREEPERS ALLOWED

Postby culmor30 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I only started playing on the TFP Minecraft server a week or so ago, but since then, the following has happened twice:

• Game becomes extremely laggy for all players
  • Everyone gradually leaves the server because it's impossible to play
  • Server goes down for multiple days, admins are nowhere to be found.

Where is this server being hosted? If it's being paid for and hosted at a server farm, we should really transfer away from that host, even if it costs a few dollars more. I'd personally be happy to donate a few bucks toward server fees.

If it's being hosted on a private server owned by one of the admins, one of three things needs to happen:

• Server upgrade (probably way too expensive to be realistic)
  • Transfer of the world to a private server farm that can handle it better (shouldn't be too expensive)
  • Heavier restrictions on CPU-intensive activities by players

In any case, having some more restrictions on player activity could definitely help the server's performance. Many servers don't allow users to place water/lava without a moderator, detonate TNT, create large redstone contraptions, or create large mob farms/grinders because of the large amount of server-side processor time they devour. It might not be the ideal solution, but it also isn't fair that one player should be allowed to slow down the game for everyone else.

How do you guys feel about that?
culmor30

Postby caigan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Oof. Actually what seems to be happening is no one is telling me or one of the main minecraft admins (or they aren't telling me) that the server is down or laggy. It also seems the version of bukkit we are using has an odd memory leak, as thats whats bogged it down faster than usual....

I thought I had a daily server rebooter plugin, but apparently I was wrong. I"ll correct these things asap though, sorry about that!

You can always contact me via steam, community name is Caigan. I"m on all the time, just leave a message and I'll get to it asap.
------------
Caigan MythFang / Psycho Wolf Pup / Kowa Laoka
WOOOLLFRREETTTTTTTT!!!
"I am more realistic than you can ever be, for I live within Fantasy!"
Color Artist and sorta-owner of House Rules - Ozy and Millie strips in COLOR!
caigan

Postby culmor30 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

Ah, good to know it's just a simple memory leak. Thanks for looking into that!
culmor30

Postby caigan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:41 am

culmor30 wrote:Ah, good to know it's just a simple memory leak. Thanks for looking into that!

And it should be solved now. Updated Bukkit to fix some of the leaks, and the server will now auto-restart every 12 hours to combat the lag.

But be sure if you guys hit a serious lag problem to message me or another minecraft admin!
------------
Caigan MythFang / Psycho Wolf Pup / Kowa Laoka
WOOOLLFRREETTTTTTTT!!!
"I am more realistic than you can ever be, for I live within Fantasy!"
Color Artist and sorta-owner of House Rules - Ozy and Millie strips in COLOR!
caigan

Return to Minecraft