Damaratus's Musing on the Effects of the Web..

Share an update, post a greeting, thread a meme or roleplay: Anything offtopic in other forums are ontopic here so post it here!

Postby NikkyVix » Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Foreword: I did not write this. It is presented as is, unedited. The original post can be found here, in Damaratus's FA journal. That said, I would not be posting it here if I did not feel that it had a valid viewpoint. I'm willing to bet you've seen the stuff mentioned within, not just within TFP but beyond in many places on the Internets. Please take a couple minutes to read, it's a nice bit of brain-food. :)

One of the things that has struck me over time is how we relate drama to furry. While I was sitting in the furry panel at ICON, hearing about how this fandom accepts most everyone, I was getting text messages regarding Chewfox and her antics at FWA. I was both annoyed and saddened by this, because it was obvious the action was for attention and nothing more despite what this user stated on their own page, but was this really "Furry DramaTM."

If my time on FA has taught me anything, it's that most of the things we associate with Furry Drama would be more appropriately called Human Drama, because that's what it is. It's what we are, regardless of "fursona" or how we feel about ourselves.

We love. We hate. We are happy. We are sad. We are bored. We are entertained.
We get horny. We are ashamed. We get depressed. We get manic. We desire attention. We want to be left alone.

We have our own problems, our own drama, our own personalities. The only thing that has turned this into something far more difficult to fathom and accept is that we have the internet. This vast public place, where anyone and everyone has a voice and realizes that they can speak their mind, even if what they have to say is the most vile, toxic, malignant slop that is available. Anonymity is encouraged, and while it may seem like humanity is somewhat lost, I'd argue that it's amplified. The smallest of things can be blown out of proportion. A mean sentiment about someone that you might have whispered to a friend is now placed in full public view for everyone, including who you said it about, to see.

The problem with this is that when it is public and potentially permanently visible, there is often backlash, and because of this being the internet, the real life effects are often unseen or dismissed with a "bawww." It's distressing to see this kind of thing, and what happened at FWA is part of a representation of how the frankness and callousness of the internet is flooding over in the the "real world" and no longer causing people to give pause and consideration before speaking. On a plus side, it gives you an idea of just what kind of person someone really is.

[As a side note, I do realize that the internet does allow people to rejoice with others when it comes to good things, it's just that this kind of thing garners far less attention than it should, where the "drama" is often given center stage and is even reveled in.]

The internet doesn't often forget, things you thought were over months or even years ago can be regurgitated at the press of a button, and they often are. Grudges are far more long-standing than they should be, and trust is something very difficult to actually give.

I would like to think that we could eventually shift toward being able to forgive people for what they do, offer some trust without concern of it being used against us. It is healthier as a whole to forgive and reach understandings than it is to maintain a grudge and dwell in it or even exult in it, but that's just not where we are yet.

Despite my own opinion, remember that I am just as human as the rest of you. I know that I've been just as bad as those I condemn at times (save for publicly posting some nasty opinion, I see no reason for that), I get snarky, I say things that are pretty bad sometimes, I've grown up with it, but I also do know how to forgive, even if the other side doesn't reciprocate. Working through a grudge and reaching a point where you can forgive is far healthier and more satisfying than maintaining the grudge.

I'm pretty sure my thoughts have meandered long enough. I think the point I'm trying to make is that we should all take time to evaluate how we behave, both on and off the internet, and think about the kind of things we do. The way we act and feel, and the effect it has on other people; whether it is excitement, drama, mean-spirited or rejoicing, it is all a very, very human thing even if it's within this fandom called Furry. And based on how things keep moving, we could all use a little humanity.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Return to Pound Chatter