Zero Hour

Share an update, post a greeting, thread a meme or roleplay: Anything offtopic in other forums are ontopic here so post it here!

Postby Helios » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Tonight dear friends will be a night remembered as either the beginning of a new era...or the beginning of the end...

Tonight at 0030 EDT, the Large Hadron Collider will go online.

The LHC is the world's largest particle accelerator. Buried underground near Geneva, Switzerland, the CERN commissioned accelerator is a mammoth ring that runs 27 km in circumference.

It's mission is to search for the Higgs Boson, aka the "God Particle" that gives particles mass, and can help explain a Grand Unified Theory of Electromagnetism and Strong and Weak nuclear force. The LHC may also be able to discover strangelets, magnetic monopoles, micro black holes, and even extra dimensions.

There has been significant public outcry about the use of the LHC, as some fear the accelerator will cause some sort of catastrophe ranging from a dimensional tear, to a Quasar forming inside the Earth, or another catastrophe that could either destroy us all, or put us all into Half Life.

Such fears are entirely unjustified, and CERN has said that the probability of anything going wrong is extremely low, though they said the same for a Resonance Cascade...

I feel that tonight we stand on the brink of a glorious new age of Science that will lead to the solving of the greatest mysteries of the Universe.

But just in case...I want to say that I love all of you guys, and I'll have my Crowbar at the ready.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Doom » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:02 pm

If I remember right, the chances of it doing anything of noticeable significance is 7% and 0.1% of that was of something earth-threatening. I'm not worried. Even if it could kill us all, there's nothing you can really do to stop it; so no point in worrying. :3
Doom

Postby Jake Monroe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Also, during work on the Atomic bomb they feared it would Vaporize the atmosphere.
SiRK: There's [SFW], [NSFW] and [STRAY]
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

Postby Purplecat » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:41 pm

Funny you mention half life...
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Mortician175 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:05 am

welp at 12:30 midnight tonight if i hear a big boom i know were boned lol

and holy fuck.... were screwd man, GAME OVER MAN GAME OVER (littearlly?) get your guns the combine are ah commin!!!!
Mortician175

Postby Helios » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:58 pm

LHC fired it's first beam at 0032 EDT on9/10/08

The world didn't end
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Mortician175 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:01 pm

which im surprised considering the french were involved in this thing and we all know how good their skills in engineering and science are <.<
Mortician175

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Gordon Freeman at the LHC. Big whoop. I say we have nothing to fear, there.

He's not a threat, after all; the G-Man was. We're fine as long as a G-man doesn't show up there.

...Fucknuggets!
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Return to Pound Chatter