Gaming and firewall/virus protection.

Share an update, post a greeting, thread a meme or roleplay: Anything offtopic in other forums are ontopic here so post it here!

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 pm

I recently bought Mass Effect (1) off of Steam and upon installing it found an odd issue: The game would "lag" every 7 seconds or so. It wasn't FPS drop, it would straight-up freeze the video for a second and then start up again. I tried some tweaks and nothing worked, so then I tried - completely on a whim - to shut down my antivirus/firewall software COMPLETELY, and ta-da: lag went away and the game runs like butter.

Now, I use Zone Alarm's firewall/antivirus suite. This suite offers a "Game Mode" that is supposed to stop the firewall from stopping anything as well as stopping the antivirus from doing any sort of scanning. I use this mode when I play TF2 or Borderlands or L4D or whatever, but Mass Effect didn't like it at all, even in Game Mode.

So now I wonder if I should just add Zone Alarm to my Game Booster settings so that it shuts down when I go to play something. This leaves me with no protection however, which I'm not crazy about.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for firewall/virus suites that seem to be effective, but play well with games? Or should I just add Zone Alarm to Game Booster's shut-down list and not worry about it for the few hours I'm playing something?

Any and all opinions and recommendations on the matter are welcome. :V
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby RollingEye » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:52 am

I'm currently running Kaspersky and Comodo. Comodo pops up the first time you run an application, but as long as you hit "Remember" then you're good for that program (such as those great steam games). Kaspersky is nice and light, don't really notice it running at all.
Oh crap, is it coward-killing time already?
--
Disclaimer: The views presented by this Rolly are not always serious. Use common sense/brain when reading.
RollingEye

Return to Pound Chatter