[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Name.

Name.

Share an update, post a greeting, thread a meme or roleplay: Anything offtopic in other forums are ontopic here so post it here!

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:12 pm

This has been bugging me for a while, but I eventually just got tired of correcting people, and let them just call me whatever the hell they wanted.

My name in Steam is, of course, Frau Chimäre.

Chimäre is my name, not Frau. Frau is not a name. It means "woman," and is a title, basically the equivalent of "Mrs".

So, Mrs. Chimaera.

I don't mind being called Ayeaka, Chimaera, or Chimäre, but being called "woman" all day DOES bug me a bit.

Especially when it's by people who I know I've corrected in the past, on multiple occasions.

Some people have abbreviated Chimäre to "Chima", and that's fine.

Shih-mahr.
Sheeh-muh

Or, Ayeaka.

Eye-e'ah-kuh

Or, just Eye-ee-kuh if the dipthong is hard to say.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Wulfie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:30 am

Thing is, people who don't know this just go by the one of the two words easier to say or type.. In this case Frau. In my view, I can see why they say it.
Wulfie

Postby Jinx » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks for the pronunciation guides for your names (that's the main reason why I've pretty much always referred to you as Frau, and also out of habit of referring to my German teacher as Frau xD), but they're still hard to pronounce D:
Jinx

Postby Helios » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:52 pm

We interrupt this thread to bring you this important announcement:

From my understanding, "Helios" can be pronounced two different ways, depending on if more vocal stress is placed on the "e" or the "l." Both pronunciations of Helios are fine with me.

HOWEVER, should you confuse my name with the name of the second element on the periodic table, you will be SOAKED BY JARATE for the rest of your life, and you will die via a headshot which can be provided by your choice of either a .50 BMG round, or a flaming arrow.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Jinx » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:41 pm

*giggles to the idea of calling Helios by the name "Herr Helium"*
Jinx

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:32 am

In general theme of the topic, allow me to explain about my name. First, let's deal with the end of it, because that's easy: 3801. When I wanted to set up an AIM account using the name Stormcaller, there was already someone using it. So I looked around me. I noticed a nearby book: Werewolf The Apocalypse, 3rd edition, item number WW3801. Convenient, and adding it on meant I could use the name. Works for me.

Stormcaller has a longer history. Someone on one of the servers was snickering about it- 3, 5, or 7, I don't know; those are the only ones I visit now. So I'll share it.

A long time ago, longer than I care to think about, I was in high school and I wrote a poem. Random bit of fluff, nothing remarkable. But in it was the name Stormcaller. A friend decided that would be my new nickname online, back when online meant dialing into the local BBS with your 14400 baud modem. So I grabbed it and used it. Nothing too spectacular- although there were a few unusual instances, like the time I was at a party and looked up at a moonless sky and told someone that in one hour it would rain. Which it did.

Flash forward a couple years to my first semester at Florida State. I'm visiting a friend down the hall when the FSUPD show up. My first thought, "What did my roommates do now?" They'd called them and said I was suicidal. Which lead to 'encouraging' me to go get some therapy. I didn't think much about it until the next morning.

The next morning I woke up and realized I was angry. Very angry. They hadn't asked me, or talked to me. They hadn't said anything- just decided I was suicidal and called the police. I was furious. And as I sat up in bed, I thought, "Goddammit, I'm called Stormcaller, I WANT A STORM!"

Again, I didn't think anything of it for a while. Right up until a friend rushed up and announced that there was a hurricane headed for us. Apparently right about the time I'd woken up that morning, it'd made a sudden and unexpected 90º turn away from its projected path, and was now headed in a beeline straight for Tallahassee. My thoughts were that this was pretty cool. However, my friend had explained it was a class 2, moving at 30mph. I wished it was stronger, and would show up sooner. Then I walked into the friend's dorm room to look at the tv...

...Where the weatherman was announcing the storm was now a class 3 moving at 45mph. And the projected path was perfectly straight.

My roommates were... apprehensive. They were aware of my nickname. They were also aware I was rather gleeful at this news. So they got a very cute girl from across the hall (you know the sort; attractive, social, communications major- likely to grow up and become one of those neighbors you both loathe and envy) to ask me if I could make the storm miss us- but not miss us too much so that we still got the day off from classes. I had no belief that I could do such a thing, but I said okay.

The storm ended up curving away, but not before they cancelled classes. We ended up with a windy, rainy evening, and not much else. Except that for a while my roommates were a lot more respectful towards me.

Since then there's been other incidences like that at times. There was a hurricane that was projected to hit near my home shortly before I left on a trip. I had a layover in Charlotte, NC; by the time I was in the Charlotte terminal the storm had turned and was now projected to hit Charlotte. Then I went on to upstate NY, and guess where the storm went? Then I went home, and it looped back around to head back for Florida again, although it petered out long before that point.

Am I doing it? Can I make hurricanes go where I want? Do they strengthen and weaken at my whims?

No idea. It could easily all just be coincidences, and I could just happen to have been in the right places at the right time. But if nothing else, I figure the coincidences alone justify keeping it as a nickname.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Nocturnefoxx » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:25 pm

My name is Emerson, right? Easy to say. But if I hear one more joke along the lines of, "Where's Lake and Palmer..." :evil:

Alternatively, I sometimes go by my old AOL-days handle of Nocturnefoxx. I've lost track of the amount of times people (mostly on Xbox Live) have called me "Nocturnal Fox". I guess 'nocturne' is a tough word to wrap one's head around? I dunno'.

True story.
...but you can call me Emerson.
Nocturnefoxx

Postby MaskedJackal » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:11 pm

I took my name from this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTlBua7mfao

Plus, Lucario kinda looks like a "masked jackal".

yay.
Image◕ ‿ ◕
MaskedJackal

Postby Fiskie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:00 pm

I don't really care if people typo my name. I get called Friskie, Fishie, Fishy and so on

Doesn't bother me :3
<Westie> this channel is not for scripting
<Westie> it is for spamming
<Westie> mainly by ME.
Fiskie

Next

Return to Pound Chatter