[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Moving is hell...

Moving is hell...

Share an update, post a greeting, thread a meme or roleplay: Anything offtopic in other forums are ontopic here so post it here!

Postby Ayeaka » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:46 pm

So, we got my things moved out of my house, and we're in the apartment now.

Lots of problems.

First they decided at the last minute that his salary wasn't enough for the special offer they'd given him prior, so even though we'd supposedly already paid off the up-front security deposit, we were required to pay additional fees, the total being around $500.

No problem; I'd had money saved and was able to provide the remaining cost. I haven't paid my $40 yet to 'move in' myself, technically, but I'll take care of that when we turn in the initial inspection.

The apartment itself is nice and comfortable. Even with the ac off, in the middle of the Dallas heat, it stays a comfortable high 70- low 80.

Here's where problems come in.
We have to find an energy provider by the end of the month; water is not included either, although they will pay for gas. Food itself will be cheap--his mother said she'd provide groceries for us for the first month, and I seem to get along well with both of his parents. He has a trustworthy friend that may be able to move in to help provide for rent.

Rent, that is, $1350. We wound up going with a different rate due to unforeseen and unexplained costs... Instead of our first few months being free,and us paying at the end of the month, we're getting three months free with it staggered; so we're free this month, but not next, then free again. I need to find a job ASAP, but that's proving difficult in the city, since most places are already fully staffed, and in those few that aren't, I'm competing not only with others like myself, but also many that have been recently laid off, and are more than willing to work jobs that they're overqualified for.

I'm, at this point, willing to work anything.

The apartment will provide power until the end of the month, at which point we must either get our own provider, or have it put in our name. They are using one of the two best providers for the area however, so we're probably just going to have it put in our name. Water they provide, but it's an additional cost; this shouldn't be too expensive, so we'll be fine there. I'm assuming an additional $200 a month for utilities, based off of friends' estimations for the city, but we're being careful with usage, and there are only two of us here, so it may be less.

Which brings us to...
internet.

There IS free wi-fi, but it's only in the apartment's club/party/public areas, and we can't reach it from our apartment. We MAY be able to with a card to boost signal, but it's iffy, as we think they're just using a router... Still, we can get 'net for around $50 a month, high-speed, once we can afford it, which we should be able to once his friend, Edgar, moves in.

It's a bit new, and a bit scary--the apartment itself is larger than my house was, heh. I'll probably be taking care of expenses, for the most part, as I see to, unfortunately, have my mother's knack for finding sales. (I already have a month's supply of sodas or myself, because I managed to find a bunch they were trying to get rid of for a quarter. :P ) No question about it, though, we ARE hurting for cash, and $0.99 hotdog packages aren't even gonna help there.
I'd take on more commissions if anyone's willing, but undersatandably they, and the ones I'm finishing up, will be slow in coming.

Makaze, Hun, I have yours finished, once I can get my own computer up and running. I'm posting from Knaves' lappy atm.

We'll see what I'm capable of, at this point, really. I don't have most of my art supplies; just my chalks and charcoal, and pastels, really... I'll have to have my prismas set to me. My parents said they'd pay my phone, because my mother is apparently freaking out over me moving out, so that IS one less cost.

I did figure costs for commissions, at least. I may be only able to find part-time work, but if I can get 10 full commissions a month, SOMEHOW, I'll be good... since I usually charge around $30 for full...

God, I'm full of nervous energy right now.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Good luck on the job hunt! I hope everything works out for you. Dallas is a pretty cool place, I go there a lot. Not sure I'd want to live there though.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am

Heh.

We looked over the papers they gave Daniel originally, and not only are they COMPLETELY different, but they fucking steamrolled us.
They DID require an additional fee--he was told this, but THEY originally quoted him $125.
They also promised FREE INTERNET, which they're now only providing for four-bedroom apartments.
They also promised free utilities--again, they're now only providing this to the four-bedroom apartments.
The original quoted rent was $1200, with six months at a discounted $1000.

His mother's furious. She's not going to provide groceries as she said...apparently, but she's angry with what they've done to us, (apparently what they gave Daniel wasn't the 'real' contract, which means they also refused to give us the papers until after they were signed...) and has requested to see them herself. She mentioned a lawyer.

-sigh-
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Dark_Kilauea » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:53 am

Dark_Kilauea

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Ayeaka » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Leif » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:22 am

I'll try and get you in contact with Utanith ASAP to get you paid in advance for that commission. No need to worry about getting that done anytime soon, getting money and getting settled in are more important :)
Leif

Return to Pound Chatter