Let the End begin

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby Helios » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:41 am

If you are reading this...

...the end...

...has begun.

No the LHC didn't go boom :P

I've been testing out the beta demo of Tom Clancy's EndWar, an RTS game from Ubisoft set in World War III (thanks goes to Python btw for the code).

The game is more awesome than I expected it to be. The voice commands are epic win, and the AI of the units in game is amazing. It's a shame that I have to wait until November 7th to play the whole thing, but oh well.

I'm going to start a series of blogs based on EndWar for my YT account. These blogs will be audio recordings mostly, and I'll be in character as Helios, detailing the events of the day in the game.

I'm going to see how custom I can make the units, and I might make a TFP themed battalion since that seems to be the new thing around here ;>

Let the End begin!
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby NikkyVix » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:30 am

Too drunk to care at the mo.

Naight!
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Helios » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:01 am

...you actually did that drinking game didn't you? XD
Helios

Postby Helios » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:34 am

Alright, EndWar was released for the consoles on Nov. 4th. I got my copy on the 7th, and I have not gone through a day without playing it. Who knew World War III could be so much fun?! XDD

So I figured I might as well post a "proper" review of my thoughts on the game, and yes I'm bumping my own topic cause I'm cool like that.

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I guess my drive came back after a long session yesterday (Nov. 19th.)

I saw that a lot of people on my death...err...friends list were playing Left 4 Dead. As I've mentioned to some of y'all, I am not getting L4D until probably around my 18th birthday on December 24th (ironically because my parents insist on paying for everything), so needless to say, I felt kinda left out ^v^l.

Well I decided to make the best of it, and so I played EndWar yesterday for 8 hours straight. In the long run I really chose to get EndWar over Left 4 Dead, so I wanted to see if it was worth it.

And not to upstage L4D, it's an amazing game and all, but I think I made the right choice. XD

I could not stop playing! I kept pwning in the battlefield, sending the commies back to their mommies, and taking out the eurotrash.

And it was a long and hard and productive day, and at the end of it, I still kinda felt like I was missing alot on L4D, BUT I HAD TAKEN OVER PARIS! >3

Uh...more on that later XD. So let's get this going then.

Warning: Any drunk furries (specifically vixens :P) beyond this point are at risk of being blown to bits by Kinetic Strikes, Death Rays, or Vacuum Bombs :P

BACKGROUND

EndWar is a RTS game developed by Ubisoft Shanghai under the Tom Clancy label, the creative director is Michael de Plater. The game was released for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 consoles on November 4th 2008 for the United States, and November 7th for Europe and Australia, and ports to the Playstation Portable, and Nintendo DS are available, and a PC port is coming soon. The game is set in 2020, and the major conflict is World War III.

PLOT

The story of EndWar details the Third and final World War (hence the name) between the United States, Russia, Europe. As it is a Tom Clancy game, there is a setup to the conflict, which is based on as much fact as possible.

This game also serves as a tie-in to various Tom Clancy titles, specifically Ghost Recon, HAWX, Rain Bow Six, and Splinter Cell.

Now one of the hallmarks of a Tom Clancy game is the storyline. Anyone that's ever read a Clancy novel knows that his stories involve terrorism, espionage, corporate corruption, military strategic nightmares, a gunfight or two, and much action and drama, but his attention to detail give the stories a gritty and very realistic tone.

EndWar does not really have that though. The game is very light in terms of narrative, in fact the only reason there is a narrative is to explain why everyone is fighting each other in the first place. Because the campaigns are non-linear though, much of the way the war ends up is determined by the actions of the player, and so while the developers couldn't altogether ignore a story, they could simplify it, and they did.

The narrative is driven along through the "Prelude to War" missions in the single player campaign, and is given further exposition through newscasts between turns that talk of events around the world, some of them are directly related to the war, but some are not.

The newscasts serve 2 real purposes:
1. To remind the player that even though they are fighting in the North Atlantic Theatre, EndWar is a global battle.
2. The overall grim tone of the newscasts reminds that in World War III, while it may seem that somebody wins, in reality everyone loses.

Prequel

It begins in 2011, when the US and EU sign the Space Land Air Missile Shield (SLAMS) treaty, and agree to co-develop a missile shield. Russia is left out, and begins work on their own shield. Construction on SLAMS begins in 2014.

In 2015, it is discovered that corrupt oil speculators overstated the amount of recoverable oil reserves, causing oil prices to skyrocket in a matter that makes the price increases on 2008 look like child's play. To make matters worse, Saudi Arabia is struck by nuclear terrorism in 2016, this removes Mideast oil from the picture, and the price of oil spikes to $800 a barrel, with prices at the pump now $22 a gallon.

In 2017 the SLAMS shield goes live, the US and EU launch test salvos against one another, which SLAMS destroys with 100% efficiency. The US and EU declare nuclear war to be a thing of the past, and the world celebrates a new era of peace.

They wanted a new beginning....but they created the end....

With the Mideast gone, Russia becomes the worlds leading supplier of oil and natural gas. The economy is revitalized, and Russia goes on a massive spending spree, resulting in the biggest arms buildup since the cold war.

The economic crisis has greatly destabilized the nations of Europe. In 2018, 90% of Western Europe unites to becomes the European Federation, only The UK and Switzerland decline membership. The EF is now seen as a state in it's own right, and has a population and GNP that surpasses the US.

In 2020, the US begins construction on the Freedom Star space station, a military space platform that will allow the US to regain their status as the ruling superpower, international reaction is very negative, and NATO dissolves.

Let the End Begin...

SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN

The single player campaign consists a series of missions that dictate the events leading up to World War III, and a non-linear World War III campaign.

Prelude to war:

In 2020 (in game dialogue points to the date of April 4th) a group of terrorists launch attacks on the three superpowers. The targets are specifically, a EF refinery, a Russian power station, and the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, where the Freedom 4 Space Shuttle is launching with the final modules of the Freedom star. The terrorists call themselves the "Forgotten Army" (Their logo ironically is FA) and claim to be the oppressed people of Earth who are striking back at the Superpowers.

Third Echelon gets Intel that FA was supported by the EF defense minister, prompting US Special forces to abduct him in a covert operation. The EF is alerted, which leads to a massive battle in Copenhagen, Denmark between the US and EF forces. A cease fire is agreed upon where the defense minister is returned, and the US forces are allowed a safe passage out of Europe. The US and EF Presidents then agree to sit down for talks.

Through plot exposition, it is learned that the FA attacks were actually orchestrated by Russia. The Russian government feared that the US and EF would ally against Russia in order to take their oil, and so they instigated hostilities between them. To push them over the edge, they sneak into a EF military base and take control of the SLAMS Uplink stations there, uploading a virus into the shield.

The next morning, the Freedom 4 launches. As it climbs skyward, one of the European SLAMS satellites registers this launch as a missile launch, due to the virus uploaded to the network by the Russians. The satellite shoots down the Freedom 4, in a scene that is eerily reminiscent of the explosion of the Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986.

This is enough to push the US over the edge, and they promptly declare war on Europe. Russia also declares war on Europe as well, and they subsequently invade Poland. The US then declares war on Russia in response. This happens in a montage of forces from all three being deployed, and a quote is spoken by US President David Becerra.

"We didn't start this war...but we will END it!"

Ready or Not, it's World War III.

World War III

Once you finish the Prelude to War campaign, you can now fight in the World War III campaign. Alternatively you can choose to skip the single player missions altogether, and fight in the "Theatre of War" which is the online World War III campaign.

In the Team Fortress 2 developers commentary, it is said that one of the characteristics of multiplayer communities is that they tend to play a small group of maps over and over again, and ours is no exception ;>. This creates a problem for EndWar, which has almost 40 maps.

Ubisoft however has created an effective response to this by creating a single player and a multiplayer campaign that have much more replay value than any other I've seen.

Most campaigns have a very linear structure. You have to win in a level to move onto the next one, and you usually get a briefing of some kind before you begin your next level, so you'll know what you'll be doing before that map has even loaded.

EndWar's campaigns however are non linear. I'll put it in terms you can all understand: It's Hydro fixed, and on steroids.

The game takes into account your performance in battle, and your successes and failures will determine where you'll be fighting next, as well as what you'll be doing when you get there. Also losing territories can affect the battles themselves. For example if you capture an enemy airbase, they can no longer call in air strikes to the surrounding maps, while you will have that option. In addition, the emphasis on territories shifting between factions, and others being opened up based on wins and losses means that the campaigns rarely feel repetitive. The explicit round structure also keeps players focused on small scale battles, so they aren't overwhelmed.

Also your performance on the battlefield will give you access to "credits" which you can use to purchase upgrades in the Barracks. The Barracks are a section where you can use credits earned in battle to customize your battalion, by giving certain units upgrades, such as advanced weapons and shields, and special abilities.

The single player World War III and the Theatre of War are roughly similar except in a few cases. In the Theatre of War, up to 4 people can fight at once, and Ubisoft has said that number will increase to 6 or even 8 in future patches and installments. Also the rulers of a territory are determined on who wins the most battles that day. At the end of each day, the servers count up the victors of individual battles on the territories up for grabs, and the faction that won the most will take control.

For anyone who wishes to fight without going to war, there is the "skirmish" mode. Skirmish is a mode where you can have a battle on any map, either against an opponent or against a bot, and the outcome will not affect either war.

GAMEPLAY

In EndWar, you can play as one of three factions fighting in World War III.

The US faction is the Joint Strike Force which is an evolution of the Marine Expeditionary Units. The JSF is built around small fast units that pack a precise punch, their motto is "High Speed, Low Drag." They excel in being able to deploy rapidly, and precision firepower. Their stealth technology and robotics are second to none.

The European faction is the Enforcer Corps which is comprised of the elites and veterans of counter terrorism forces around Europe. Several of their commanders are former members of the international counter terrorism squad "Rainbow". Highly skilled in urban warfare,they're also noted for their non-lethal weaponry, directed energy weapons, and their skill in electronic warfare. Their motto is "Si vis pacem para bellum" (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

The Russian faction is the Spetsnaz Guards Brigade which is comprised of veterans of Russia's many regional conflicts. Like the Heavy, the Spetsnaz specialize in heavy weapons and armor, ingeniously modifying equipment to suit their needs. While not as technologically advanced as the JSF or the Enforcers, they use brute force to accomplish their missions, and are a formidable opponent on the battlefield.

Each faction is also lead by a General, which gives the faction it's own "personality."

The JSF is lead by General Scott Mitchell, the former leader of Ghost Recon. The reports of his death in GRAW 2 have been greatly exaggerated :P. General Mitchell is a patriotic American, and gives you a lot of motivation before heading into battle, encouraging you to "Raise some Hell for the US of A."

The Enforcers are lead by General Amadou de Bankole, an origianl character created for EndWar. General Bankole is an African American Frenchman, and loves his country, referring to it as "Europa." He often quotes military leaders before sending you to fight.

The Spetsnaz is lead by General Sergei Izotov, another original character. Izotov is a cold and ruthless General, an apparent throwback to the communist days of old. He is the one who orders the attacks against Europe and the US. He will threaten you with death should you fail your mission.

UNITS

Like Team Fortress 2, there are 7 units available to deploy on the battlefield. Up to 12 total units at once can be deployed.

Each unit has it's own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. For gameplay purposes, Ubisoft simplified the combat chain. The combat chain follows a simple "rock, paper, scissors" format. For example:

-A Gunship will beat a Tank
-A Tank will beat a Transport
-A Transport will beat a Gunship

The combat chain helps to balance out the gameplay, and keeps an individual unit from becoming overpowered. There are some exceptions to this chain that come with upgrades to the units. For example: Fitting a Tank with an AA Gun gives them a better shot against Gunships. Also if a unit is badly damaged, they can be taken out by a unit they have an advantage over. For the most part though, the combat chain works, and keeps the game balanced.

The 7 units available are designed to offer a unique contribution to the battle. Theoretically they can be used in almost any type of combat, but some are better suited at certain combat operations than others.

As this is a Tom Clancy game, the deployment is handled realistically through "Command Points." Command Points can be used to deploy units or call in mission support. They regenerate at a rate of 1 Point every 30 seconds, and Points are awarded for various actions, such as capturing an Uplink. Also units do not magically appear, they must be flown in via transport Helicopters.

Also, enemy units do not appear instantly on the map, instead they only show up when they are in the line of sight of your forces. This forces you to use various units, like UAV's and Gunships to scout enemy positions.

What follows is a list of the units, a description of them, their abilities, some of their upgrades, their combat chains, and the designations for them in each faction.

Riflemen: Riflemen are your standard infantry troops. They move quickly around the field, but can also be moved from place to place via transports. The main job of Riflemen is to capture Uplinks, which they can do quicker than Engineers (but Engineers upgrade them faster.) Riflemen can also use stealth to sneak past enemies, and can garrison themselves into buildings, which give them cover and better firepower. Upgrades include Snipers, the ability to storm a building and take it over, and being able to deploy anywhere on the map, including behind enemy lines. While effective in cover, Riflemen are most effective against Combat Drones and Engineers. They are easy prey though for Gunships, Transports, Tanks, and are sitting ducks when out of cover.
JSF: Ghosts. Recruited from all US armed forces, and are deadly accurate with their weapons. Their combat history means that JSF troops have undergone extensive training even before they put on the uniform. Their main weapon is the SCAR A1 assault rifle. Upgrades include the M110 .50 Cal sniper rifle (want), and future force warrior training. Their name is a homage to the Ghost Recon team.
Enforcers: Kommandos. Encouraged to stick to the tactics of their homelands instead of following a universal set of rules, the Kommandos are very diverse and difficult to predict. They are seen in some ways as a direct descendant of Rainbow, and are highly skilled in counter terrorist operations and urban warfare. Their main weapons are the E3000 assault rifle, and the UAR 7 BULLPUP assault rifle. Upgrades include the JO-2 .50 Cal sniper rifle.
Spetsnaz: Wolves. The philosophy of the Wolves is that it's better to be feared than loved, but they may be the soul mates of the Heavy. The Wolves are ruthless and brutal in combat, since their ranks have seen so much combat that they are unfazed by what people call "inhuman." The Wolves are some of the toughest and most experience soldiers in the world. Their main weapons are the AK-74 and it's variants. Upgrades include the OSV-120 12.7MM sniper rifle.

Engineers: Engineers are the most versatile unit in EndWar. Their main goal is to upgrade Uplinks in order to call in mission support, they can also capture them ,but capture them slower than Riflemen. Engineers also move very slowly on the field, and must rely on Transports to get them around. Engineers can be upgraded to get various perks, such as planting land mines every 25 seconds, calling in Combat Drones to guard an area, using heavy machine guns, and so on. While primarily anti-Tank troops, Engineers are deadly to any vehicles when firing from cover, or garrisoned. Engineers are weak against Riflemen, and any unit when out of cover.
JSF: Pioneers. Equipped with full body armour, and advanced weaponry, but not as advanced as the euros. They are also recruited from every branch of the US military, as well as PMC's, and can deploy various tech to give the JSF an advantage. They are armed with the SCAR A1C assault rifle, and AT5CQ rocket launcher. Upgrades include the ability to use the M268 SAW Minigun.
Enforcers Grenadiers. While their members are slightly older than the Kommandos, the Grenadiers follow the Enforcers philosophy of accomplishing the mission without unnecessary killing. To that end, they are known for their use of ballistic shields and non-lethal weaponry, but they can use deadly force when necessary. They are armed with the MP12 4.6MM sub-machine gun, and the MILANA-2 shoulder fired rocket launcher. Upgrades include a portable Active Denial System.
Spetsnaz: Bears. Their weapons and equipment is considered obsolete, ans they are just as experienced as their Wolves brothers. The Bears are able to adapt to virtually any combat situation, and are versatile on the battlefield. Their main weapons are the PP3000 sub-machine gun, and the MINI-KORNET-K shoulder fired rocket launcher. Upgrades include poison gas for building clearing, and the RP-Z3 rocket launcher.

Transports: Transports serve 2 purposes. They are vital in moving infantry from one place to another, and they are also the best Anti-Air unit. They are also relatively fast, ensuring that they can pursue a target, or pull out if things get hairy. Transports can be upgraded to have more Armour in place, a rocket pod for AA purposes, and fuel cells to increase speed. Transports are effective against Gunships, Riflemen, and Combat Drones. They are weak against Tanks, Artillery, and Engineers in cover.
JSF: M118 Fastback. Agile Transport, and can sport a rail gun for AA combat. Sports a hybrid engine and is extremely fast and fuel efficient. Incorporating many aspects of the future combat systems program, it's tougher faster and deadlier than any Transport built before, and features a 30MM chain gun as it's main weapon. Upgrades include an AA Rail Gun.
Enforcers: AMZ-26 Badger. Based off a German design, the AMZ-26 has emphasis on speed and fuel efficiency, sporting a hybrid engine. The AMZ-26 sports a 30MM chain gun, and is the fastest and quietest Transport, it can outrun other Transports without burning up it's fuels. Upgrades include a TOW Missile System and a Lethal HPM ray.
Spetsnaz: BTR-112 Cockroach. Described as being the ideal balance between AA battery and Transport, the BTR-112 is slightly slower than it's JSF and Enforcers counterparts, but has formidable AA weaponry in the form of dual 57MM autocannons. It can still easily transport infantry, despite it's somewhat slower speed, it's weaponry and armor more than makes up for that. Upgrades include 88MM rockets for additional firepower.

Tanks: Tanks are your big bulky personal anti sonofabitch machines, slow but tough, they are a formidable obstacle for anyone trying to take a point. They can also access almost any area on the map, able to run over small obstacles. Upgrades for Tanks include better armor, chain guns, and a more powerful cannon. Tanks can easily destroy Transports, Artillery, and exposed infantry. They are sitting ducks however to Gunships, and Engineers in cover.
JSF: M5A2 Schwarzkopf. Featuring the most accurate main firing system in the form of a 120mm smoothbore cannon with an advanced fire control system. The Tank is named after General Normal Schwarzkopf, the commander of the US forces in the first Gulf War, and the brains behind Operation: Desert Storm. Upgrades include the BLOS cannon, which can fire shells beyond the LOS.
Enforcers: Panther 1A3. Combining the best features of mounted combat systems across Europe, the 1A3 is very agile for a Tank, ans it's 120mm main gun is the fastest firing in the world. It's also very fuel efficient, using an upgrade version of the hybrid engine on the AMZ-26. Upgrades include a high power Active Denial System which has "horrific" effects.
Spetsnaz: T-100 Ogre. Described as being the equivalent of Germany's Tiger I Tank in World War II, the T-100 is the most armored tank in the world. It's very mine-resistant to make up for Russia's lack of mine sweeping tech, and can be upgraded to include AA guns and Flamethrowers.

Artillery: Raining death from afar, Artillery can be either your biggest asset your your worst nightmare on the battlefield. They can rain down shells across a long distance, ensuring that they can destroy enemy units without getting up close and personal. Artillery can only fire while stationary, and are virtually defenseless when moving, and cannot deal with enemies that get within close proximity. Upgrades include fuel cells to allow for faster transport, radar to increase firing range, and the ability to launch barrages of shells at once. Artillery is deadly to all ground units from a distance. Artillery is defenseless to any ground units up close, and Gunships.
JSF: M320 Spartan. While not having a lot of technological advancements, the M320 is still a formidable opponent on the battlefield, and is able to fire and move to cover rapidly since it uses the same hybrid engine as the M118. The M320 has saved my skin on the battlefield more times than I care to mention. Upgrades include "Grid Smasher" rocket pods, allowing for more firepower.
Enforcers: AMZ-50 Marksman. The successor to a concept used by Swiss, French, and South African militaries, the AMZ-50 can be deployed rapidly, and it's a good example of the Enforcers emphasis on speed instead of armor. It has a fully electric engine, which is linked to the 155mm self loading gun, and this allows the AMZ-50 to charge it's own battery while firing. Upgrades include "Grid Smasher" rocket pods similar to the M320 used by the JSF.
Spetsnaz: KV-20 Zhukov. A twin barreled South African design, allegedly promoted by Vladimir Putin, the KV-20 has double the firepower of the systems used by the JSF and the Enforcers. It's targeting system is not as accurate, but it makes up for this with a faster rate of fire than any other Artillery, making it's dual 152MM guns deadly to opponents. Upgrades include chemical shells.

Gunships: Gunships are a core unit to any offensive. They can be used to scout enemy locations for distant units, like Artillery, to destroy, or rain death from above with a variety of weapons. They are very fragile though, with low health, but their altitude and speed gives them the ability to rapidly pull out of combat should things get hairy. Upgrades include various weapons, such as missiles, and upgraded engines to increase speed. Gunships are effective against Tanks, Artillery, and exposed Riflemen. Gunships are weak against Transports, and Engineers in cover.
JSF: AH-80 Blackfoot. Based on the RAH-66 Comanche design, the AH-80 represents the latest innovations in helicopter design. It's powered by a hydrogen engine, and has a canard rotor/wing design that spins like a helicopter, but can be fixed to act like a wing, and eliminates the need for a tail rotor, and it allows the AH-80 to perform a variety of aerobatic maneuvers. The AH-80 sports a 30MM chaingun and rockets. Upgrades include the Joint Common Missile, which allow a barrage of rockets to attack a target.
Enforcers: PAH-6 Cheetah. As it's call sign suggests, the PAH-6 is the fastest gunship on the battlefield, again a nod to the Enforcers focus on speed. The PAH-6 has dual Hydrogen engines, the most "green" engines in the world. The tail rotor is shrouded, which minimizes radar signature, and protects it from damage. The PAH-6 is armed with a 30MM chaingun and 68MM rockets, but it's so agile that it can perform a loop even with a full combat load. Upgrades include the HOT-3 missile, which is a laser guided missile to increase accuracy and to minimize collateral damage.
Spetsnaz: KA-65 Howler. Referred to as "the flying tank" the KA-65 is described as the most armored and armed Gunship on the battlefield. It has coaxial counter-rotating four-blade main rotors that allow it to stay aloft, even with a vast array of weapons. The KA-65 is also the only Gunship powered by fossil fuels, owing to Russia's massive oil reserves. The KA-65 is armed with a 30MM cannon, originally developed for Transports, and 88MM rockets. If it wasn't for the extensive weaponry, the KA-65 would be a very light Gunship. Upgrades include anti-Tank missiles.

Command Vehicles: Your mobile HQ on the battlefield. Command Vehicles are not ideal for combat, but they are vital to your mission. Command Vehicles gives you access to "Sitrep" an overhead view of the battlefield, similar to the traditional RTS view, but the LOS rule still applies. Command Vehicles can also deploy UAV's, Combat Drones, and sweep for mines. Command Vehicles have small weaponry, and usually have the unmanned combat tech do their work for them. Command Vehicles can be upgraded to be able to move faster, and have better equipped shields and CQB weapons. Command Vehicles are effective against Gunships and Riflemen using Stealth. Gunships are weak against close combat.
JSF: C1A5 Archon. They say "Knowledge is Power" and the C1A5 proves it. This Command Vehicle is armed with an array of computers, sensors, and equipment to monitor the battlefield. The C1A5 has a 20MM remote chaingun for defense, and is powered by twin Hybrid engines. Upgrades include UCAV's and Mine sweeping tech.
Enforcers: LV-20 Charlemagne. Again owing to the Enforcers focus on non lethal weapons, the LV-20 is armed with a variety of laser based tech. It's also equipped wit ha variety of sensors designed to negate any stealth being used of any kind, meaning that very few stealth units can get by the LV-20. It's primary weapon is a Tactical High-Energy Laser (THEL) and it's powered by a classified high-power electric generator. The powerplant that propels the LV-20 is the same one used on the AMZ-50. Upgrades include UCAV's and Combat Drones.
Spetsnaz: MAZ-660 King Spider. The MAZ-660 is a combination of modern and obsolete tech, in that it has comm. gear, battlefield computers, and high end video and surveillance monitors, and has obsolete tech for backup, going down to a wired telephone set with a 650m cable reel, and even signal flags. The MAZ-660 has a 23MM Chaingun for support, and instead of Combat Drones it is escorted by Russian troops armed with AK-74's. Upgrades include a 12.7mm coaxial machine gun, and UCAV.

SUPPORT VEHICLES
TO help you on the battlefield, you have a variety of support vehicles at your disposal, ranging from transport helicopters, to UCAV's.

Combat Drones: Combat Drones typically escort the Command Vehicles, but they can escort any unit, and gaurd specific locations. They are effective against Gunships. They are weak against Riflemen, Transports, Tanks, and Engineers in cover.
JSF: PD-6 Rottweiler. While slower than the Enforcers' Archer Combat Drones, the PD-6 is a formidable obstacle to enemies. Armed with a 6.8mm Minigun and dual Rocket pods, they are also more armored than other drones, ensuring that they can take a good beating before conking out. They are also deadly accurate, and while their sensors are less advanced than the Archer's, once the PD-6 locks onto a target, it rarely misses.
Enforcers: Archer. While not as tough as the PD-6, the Archer is certainly faster, and is the worlds most advanced Combat Drone. It features an advanced directed energy weapon for combat, and an advanced tracking system. It's rumored that the Archer's can last for days on a single battery charge.
Spetsnaz: RU-20 Bodyguard. The Russians instead of employing Combat Drones instead deploy Russian troops, collectively known as RU-20. They are armed with only an AK-74, and are not as trained as their comrades in the Wolves and Bears, but they are still dedicated and a force to be reckoned with.

UCAV: UCAV's are valuable to any battlefield. Only available as an upgrade for the Command Vehicle, and the weapons are also an upgrade, the UCAV can scout enemy locations and pinpoint targets for long range attacks, or give you a good idea of what your opponent is doing and where. UCAV's when equipped with weapons can also rain down attacks from above for suppressing fire. UCAV's are effective against stealth. They are easy prey for all units except for Artillery.
JSF: MQ-3 Scryer. The MQ-3 has helped me out on the battlefield more times than I care to remember. It's a nimble and fast UCAV, but it looses some of that speed when armed.
Enforcers: Eaglefly. The most aglie and quiet UCAV, the Eaglefly is ideal for spying on your opponent. The Eaglefly is capable of VTOL, and still managed to be nimble even when armed.
Spetsnaz: TU-3 Vulture. Looking like a bastardized version of the USA's Predator UCAV's, the TU-3 is the most armed UCAV to date. While designed for short range work, and lacking many capabilities that are featured in the MQ-3 and the Eaglefly, like VTOL, the TU-3 can still pack a punch for you.

Transport Helicopters: These are the aircraft that fly in your units, and evac them when they are out of action. They are vital to your effort, and while they are tough, it's still possible to lose them in battle. Transport Helicopters are divided into two classes: Light and Heavy. The Light Transport Helicopters bring in your infantry and Combat Drones, and with upgrades they can deploy to anywhere on the battlefield. The Heavy Transport Helicopters bring in your vehicles. Transport Helicopters are unarmed. While they are tough, they are vunerable to all units except Riflemen.
JSF: Light: V-25 Goshawk. The V-25 is the successor to titlrotor aircraft used by the US in the Gulf Wars.
Heavy: V-120 Valkyrie. A much larger version of the V-25.
Enforcers: Light: EC 220 Gadfly. Built by the creators of the PAH-6, the EC 220 is a remarkably light aircraft. It's engine can run on either Hydrogen or Fossil Fuels.
Heavy: EC 660 Whirlwind. Long range despite it's load capacity, the EC 660 gets it's callsign from the wind it generates on landing.
Spetsnaz: Light: MI-55 Locust. An updated version of the choppers used by the USSR in the 1970's, it's loaded with fuel tanks to support it's heavy armor.
Heavy: MI-80 Tarantula. The largest single-rotor aircraft in existence, the MI-80 is an upgrade design of another chopper used by the USSR in the 1980's.

THE DRUMS OF WAR: BATTLES IN ENDWAR
This section will focus on how battles are played out in EndWar. EndWar focuses on small scales battles rather than over-arching campaigns. It's your job to win these battles and lead your faction to victory!

The War has a set of "victory conditions" that determine when a faction wins. For example: in the single player campaign, the first faction to capture 28 territories or 3 capitals wins.

LOCATIONS
Here's a partial list of Locations available in EndWar:
Arrabida, Portugal
Brenner Pass, Austria
Copenhagen, Denmark
Dukovany, Czech Republic
Fort Campbell, U.S.A.
Fort Levski, Bulgaria
Grissom AFB, U.S.A.
JFK Space Center, U.S.A.
La Mancha, Spain
Le CEITO, France
Matera, Italy
Maxwell AFB, U.S.A.
Moscow, Russia
Paris, France
Pascagoula, U.S.A.
Ramstein AB, Germany
Rovaniemi, Finland
Sevastopol, Ukraine
Shenandoah, U.S.A.
The Bedford Level, U.K.
Three Mile Island, U.S.A.
USS Reagan, U.S.A.
Vlore, Albania
Washington, D.C., U.S.A.
Wistermarsch, Germany

BATTLES:
There are 4 types of battles to fight in EndWar, and all of them in one way or another involve a critical element to gameplay: the Uplinks.

Uplinks: In terms of the story, Uplinks are where the SLAMS Missile Shield is controlled. In terms of Gameplay, Uplinks are your best friends on the battlefield. Uplinks are bases that are positioned at strategic points on the battlefield, and can be owned by either one side or the other. Uplinks are identified on the tactical map and on the HUD by a hexagon icon with a letter in it, the letter corresponding to the phonetic name for that particular Uplink (e.g Alpha, Bravo, Lima, etc.) Uplinks can only be captured by infantry (Riflemen capture them faster than Engineers), and once captured you will receive 4 Command Points.

Captured Uplinks can be used as a landing zone for your Transport Helicopters to drop your units. Uplinks can also be upgraded (Engineers upgrade faster than Riflemen) to call in three types of mission support. Airstrikes, Electronic Warfare, and Force Recon. The more Uplinks are of a certain upgrade, the more powerful that support will be.

Uplinks can be "destroyed" which means they lose all upgrades and the ability to upgrade, but they can still be captured. The only way to completely eliminate an Uplink is to "Crash" it in DEFCON 1.

Battle Types:
Earlier on I said that EndWar's campaign was "Hydro fixed." The battles are another example of that. Unlike Hydro, battles in EndWar never stalemate, they ALWAYS end in a win for one side and a loss for the other. The win is accomplished by either completing the objective stated in the type of battle, or by eliminating all enemy forces. Battles in EndWar are also not terribly long, on average lasting 20-30 minutes. Certain battles are only available for certain battlefield, but all types can be played on any map in Skirmish mode.

These are the 4 types of battles:

Conquest: Your basic battle in EndWar. Both sides start at opposite ends of the battlefield, and all Uplinks are neutral. The goal is to capture the majority of Uplinks, and hold onto that majority for a period of time. Alternatively you can also immediately end the match by capturing all Uplinks, though this would involve going behind enemy lines and taking their Uplinks. The side that holds the majority for the DEFCON time limit, or captures all Uplinks wins.

Assault: This battle is what you would expect in a war. Both sides start off at opposite ends of the battlefield, and each side owns half the Uplinks (if there is an odd number, one will remain neutral, and some Uplinks may be destroyed from the start.) The goal is to destroy all enemy forces, and the winner is the side with the last men standing. This seems quick and dirty, but it can sometimes escalate into a Mexican Standoff.

Raid: Available for bases only. The attacking side must destroy several buildings in the enemy base, and the enemy must hold on for a period of time. This is the hardest map to win on when attacking, the attacker has less available units than the defender, and the defender has Combat Drones stationed at every building.

Siege: This is only available for Capital Cities, and is unlocked after conducting a Conquest and Assault of that city successfully. The goal for the attackers is to capture a critical Uplink, which is larger than the others, and the defenders must hold out for 10 minutes with no reinforcements or mission supports. After the end of 10 minutes a massive Force Recon team deploys, and supports become available at half their typical cost. If the attackers hold onto the Uplink for a period of time, they win, but if the defenders eliminate the attacking forces, they win.

Mission Supports:
Uplink upgrades unlock these abilities, which can be a real asset to you on the battlefield. The more Uplinks there are with a dedicated support, the stronger it will become.

Airstrikes: Sends in a squadron of fighter planes which drop a variety of attacks on your enemies. These attacks range from gunfire, to large bombs.
JSF: A-20 Razorback. Upgraded F-20 fighter, not good for dog fighting, but very capable with bombing
Enforcers: Hailstorm. Developed by Swedish, French, and German engineers, the Hailstorm is one of the most agile fighters ever.
Spetsnaz: SU-38 Slamhound: Has an inverted wing design for high angles of attack and maneuverability at low speeds.

Electronic Warfare: This upgrade allows a EMP to be fired on a group of enemy units. Effective on all units except infantry, the EMP disables the units and also interferes with battlefield co-ordination. Range and length of the pulse vary with upgrades.

Force Recon: Calls in regular army troops to assist you in battle. Much more tough than they look, this is useful for defending a position or harassing an enemy. Size of Force Recon varies with upgrades.

DEFCON 1:
When a side has a clear lead, DEFCON 1 is activated. This is the "endgame" of the battle so to speak. When DEFCON 1 is activated, a time appears counting down to the end of the battle. When conditions defining DEFCON 1 are no longer met, the timer stops, but if those conditions are met again, the timer will pick up from where it left off, an important thing to keep in mind in the heat of battle.

The following supports are available in DEFCON 1.

Crash: Available for the losing side only. Crash sends an EMP spike to an enemy Uplink and disables it, shutting down it's upgrades and removing it's ability to be captured. This is the only way to remove an Uplink from battle completely. It's recommended to Crash the Uplink farthest away from you.

WMD: This is what World War III is all about. DEFCON 1 gives you access to WMD's that can either change the tide of the fight, or confirm it. The WMD's are destructive in a fixed radius, so while they won't totally annihilate the enemy in one blow, it can take out several units packed close together. A WMD strike is announced by a video on the HUD as well as a verbal warning, and the actual attack causes the screen to glow with an aura pertaining to the color of the faction that the WMD belongs too, followed by neat SFX detailing the actual attack, which are just beautiful to watch.

The losing side is granted access first. Once they fire though, the other side is given the option of a retaliatory strike, so watch out!

Each faction has it's own WMD, the JSF and Enforcers have Orbital Satellite Weapons, while the Spetsnaz uses a more conventional MRBM.

WMD's can also recharge like other mission supports, but they do so at a slow rate. The most times I've ever been able to use a WMD in battle is twice.

This is a list of each factions WMD, and my nickname for them.

JSF: Kinetic Strike aka "The Big Badda Boom." The JSF uses a Kinetic Strike weapon, which works by firing rockets down to Earth from an orbiting Satellite, the total velocity causes major damage when the projectiles strike the ground.
Enforcers: Tactical High Energy Laser aka "The Death Ray." This is a focused laser similar to what one would expect from a bad Sci-Fi movie, and is also able to cause minor EM disturbances around the impact zone.
Spetsnaz: Thermobaric Weapon aka "The Vacuum Bomb." Thermobaric Weapons work by causing the air surrounding the bomb when it detonates to combust, releasing a colossal amount of energy.

NUTS AND BOLTS: TECHNICAL ASPECTS OF ENDWAR

Voice Commands: One of the reasons that console RTS games don't take off is the issue of controls. How do you shrink a keyboard down to a controller? Ubisoft came up with an innovative and groundbreaking solution in the form of the Voice Commands.

The Voice Commands are entirely optional, but it's indeed possible to play almost the whole game by using your voice. There's no cheap voice recognition programs, just a simple tutorial to explain and calibrate the system.

The Voice Commands are broken up into 3 distinct parts: Who you're giving the order to. What you want them to do, and Where you want them to do it. For example, let's say you wanted your Gunships (Unit 2) to move to an Uplink (Bravo).
Who: Unit 2
What: Move to
Where: Bravo

Unit 2 Move to Bravo

Or if you wanted your Tanks (Unit 3) to attack enemy Transports (Hostile 1)
Who: Unit 3
What: Attack
Where: Hostile 1

Unit 3 Attack Hostile 1

Pretty easy huh?

Now the system is sadly not perfect. If you mumble your orders, or there's a lot of background noise, the system might either not understand your orders, or completely misunderstand them, sending units to their untimely demise. For the most part though the system does work, and if you vs. someone using the Voice Commands, you better be using them too.

Unit Chatter: A hallmark of modern gaming is systems that determine how characters respond to dynamic in-game events (e.g the "Response Rules" for the Source engine.) The system for EndWar is called Unit Chatter, and it's designed to work with the Voice Commands.

In total, over 40,000 lines of dialogue were recorded for EndWar, 9,000 of which are the Unit Chatter. Unit Chatter works by having your units say lines that detail their current actions, but each unit says it's own iteration of that line. This gives each
unit it's own "personality" which is to help you recognize which units are doing what. They also play well with the Voice Commands, to the extent where if you give an order, they'll talk back.

For example, if you give the command Unit 1 Camera to move the camera to that unit, that unit will say a line back to you regarding it's status. If that unit was hurt, it may say a different line that it would if it was at full strength.

This system also helps keep you informed of the battle, units may call out lines in regard to various events, such as capturing an Uplink, spotting an enemy, attacking an enemy they have an advantage over, attacking an enemy they have a disadvantage over, and so on.

Also when you select a unit for a period of time, you may get quotes from the soldiers that are just humorous lines about the state of the world. Like so:

"Every time I see that Artillery, I only think of one thing: Friendly Fire!" -JSF
"Don't talk to me about the Colonel, he's an idiot!" -Enforcers
"Remember, the enemy is idiot, and you are Russian!" -Spetsnaz

Graphics: EndWar is powered by Unreal Engine 3, which has powered the latest Tom Clancy titles. For the most part, the graphics are very well done. The combination of various lighting and day and night scenes makes for some beautiful vistas (there's even a map with the northern lights!) and the units are rendered realistically and stand out from the map. There are some issues, mainly involving textures popping in due to Unreal Engine's poor handling of draw distance, but these are usually too small to notice.

Maps: The maps are rendered realistically, and many famous landmarks can be seen in them. The maps are also VERY large and open, so large in face that you probably won't be able to explore the whole map in one battle. Fortunately this allows for free form battles to occur almost every time. Also the maps are completely destructible, which not only adds to the realistic style of the game, but it also forces players to make choices regarding their plan of attack.

Music: The game also features a dynamic soundtrack that adjusts based on the battle. At the start it starts off slow, and then it picks up in tempo when a side is achieving a decisive lead, with drums and guitars being added to the mix. Each faction also has it's own "soundtrack." The American territories have a rock and roll theme, Europe is mostly electronica, while Russia has an industrial beat.

AI: The AI also helps to make the game. Your units gain more experience based on battles, so hardened units perform better than new recruits. Units take the safest and most direct path to their destination, and will use speed and agility to dodge enemy fire. The AI opponents are also spectacular, each opponent using a different strategy than the other for an overall battle, and behaving just as erratically as a human would in the final minutes.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Tom Clancy first wrote about the possibility of World War III in Red Storm Rising, and while he had little to do with EndWar, it's safe to say that this is a spiritual sequel. EndWar hits home with console RTS gamers, and provides an experience that is overall just plain fun. It's incredibly addicting, and it puts you in control of the action, truly bringing World War III into your living room. EndWar will be remembered as a hallmark of RTS games for years to come.

Links:

http://endwargame.us.ubi.com/index.php the official site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_EndWar Wikipedia article, dated but provides basic info

http://endwargame.us.ubi.com/tow.php?platform=xbox360 Watch the progress of the Theatre of War, the online World War III

http://endwar.h0b0.org/ Another ToW viewer, this focuses on the progress of the individual battles taking place
Helios

Return to Alternative Games