Pokeymans: Look Who I Caught? (Grabbin' Shaymin)

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:44 pm

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here: Huge success...

Now then. This was made possible by a method some of you probably hadn't known of: Tweaking. In essence, on Diamond and Pearl (it was fixed in Platinum), it is a means of glitching the game's graphics and allowing yourself to walk beyond the game borders into the un-bordered abyss, or 'void'. In doing this, you can travel theoretically anywhere...including to locations locked from access and requiring some event key, like Flower Paradise, where Shaymin can be found.

This is risky, exploiting a glitch in the game to get you to cross places you're not supposed to go. The risk is that if you save your game in one of these bad areas of the Void, you run a chance of being unable to leave that area after restarts, making your game unprogressable and requiring a complete start-over. Badges, dex, all your critters. So if it's not worth it to you then just ignore it.

...But for those who want to try it instead of waiting for Nintendo to decide to make another event they might not have access to in order to properly obtain Shaymin, there's a handy guide here that I followed to the letter and had great success with.

The Tweaking method I used to get to the Initial Void can be found here. Trying to use the one linked to on the tutorial made my game freeze 5 out of 5 times. It will take a quick thumb and a lot of trial and error to get the hang of Tweaking. But if you have a copy of Diamond or Pearl (NOT Platinum), then it WILL work.

And a few other concerns you might have that aren't addressed in the thread:
    * This is NOT a hack, like ActionReplay is. This simply bypasses the borders of your game's natural world using an unfixed exploit missed by Nintendo's QA. It does not change anything in your game world or on your DS or save.
    * What is a BSoD (Black Screen of Doom) test anyway? Find out from this video here.
    * Freezing when doing a BSoD check will not corrupt your savegame data because it does not write to the save file when it freezes. As long as you do not save in a location where you shouldn't, you should be fine. Do not just up and save in any random place without doing a BSoD check first. You run the risk of screwing over your save.
    * Your screen may go black when doing the long-ass bike ride for steps. I freaked out when this happened at first. But when I hit a button to bring up my menu I heard the sound for it and realized that the only thing that happened was that my screen stopped reporting what was happening. Performing a BSoD test fixed the problem. If it does not, or you cannot enter those menus, then that means you're in an area that you can't use them at; keep riding forward until you hear the Jubilife tv music, then do it again.
    * It's less likely to freeze on you if you perform thi later on in the game as opposed to when you have only a few badges.
    * Follow the directions on the tutorial and its notes TO THE LETTER. I did, and Shaymin currently sits in my PC Box as a result. The only thing I did differently was use the Tweaking pattern shown in the video linked above instead of the video they specified, because theirs froze my game.
    * If you are worried you might mess up or want to turn back when you enter the Void, you can do so by flying out or using an Escape Rope or a Pokemon that knows Dig, which will take you back to safe, properly-coded and stable land.
    * Why try it? Because if we are to take the Pokemon Company's own OCD-inducing motto to heart: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

For those who do it, have fun! For those who are successful, enjoy your Shaymin! It should be noted that Darkrai can be caught this way also. I don't know about Arceus, but it's probably possible since one of the areas you pass in the Void is Arceus's Hall of Origin.

UPDATE: Since Arceus is on a higher 'layer' than the Spear Pillar one normally accesses his hall at, as of right now there's no way to get to it via the Void.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 pm

Did you miss the actual Shaymin event? It was like... last year over wi-fi, or two years ago, I don't remember.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby NikkyVix » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Mr. Munchlax wrote:Did you miss the actual Shaymin event? It was like... last year over wi-fi, or two years ago, I don't remember.

2009, February. And obviously I did, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with this, ne? ;3

I wished to post this for the lot of people who either did not know about the event, or Shaymin, or who missed the event (I have learned from international friends that many events simply don't reach them, to their frustration), or who wanted a chance to capture it on their own without waiting for Nintendo. I am one of those who missed the event.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Can you explain for those of us who do not know, what a Shaymin is? Beyond the obvious answer of "its a pokemon" :P
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:48 am

Sekh765 wrote:Can you explain for those of us who do not know, what a Shaymin is? Beyond the obvious answer of "its a pokemon" :P

It's a Pokemon...that I linked to above, in the top of the text body, by its name. :P :3

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shaymin

A rare/legendary Pokemon that is currently one of the rarest to have and currently has no plan for being made available again. Released around the time of one of the movies featuring it, a few years ago. All Diamond, Pearl and Platinum games have a Shaymin sitting in an area of their world in the extreme northeast corner which is only accessible via a boat ride which is itself made available from an item given to the player at Nintendo-sanctioned events. The last one held for North America was at select Toys R Us locations in February, 2009.

And it's cute. So I wantses it! Other than that, there really is no high importance of having your own Shaymin other than collecting, adding that extra entry to one's Pokedex, showing it off to one's friends, etc.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:22 am

I got Shaymin over Wi-fi. I don't even have a Toys R Us near me.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Sekh765 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:26 am

Ah! Well then! Very nice guide for those that want it :D
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Return to Alternative Games