Heroes of Newerth

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 pm

If you've ever played Defense of the Ancients or League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth is in the same vein. It's kind of hard to describe it if you've never played these types of games before.. it's kind of a halfbreed genre of RPG and tower defense.

Throughout the end of the week though, Heroes of Newerth will be free to play if you want to give it a shot :D It's a blast of fun even when your entire team are blithering idiots (which is almost always). A word of warning though, the game is extremely deep and learning the basics will take several games until you get the hang of things. Learning the items / the shop is probably the most confusing part of the game. I've included a couple FAQs and basic guides below to anybody interested. I'm no expert but I think I've got a good handle on it, message me if you want some tips or want to get like a noobie game going or something ^_^

Heroes of Newerth Free Week!!
Game Basics
Big huge guide that has brief overview of every hero
Nigma's basic HoN tutorial video Part 1 - Part 2
Jinx

Postby Jinx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Doesn't look like too many people are interested in this game :P In any case if you're still looking to try it out they're having a weekend long sale for just $10 so check it out it's super fun.

As a forewarning / heads up:
  • Everybody assumes you know how to play from the beginning, so play "no stat" games if you're just starting out (Public games that have a red star next to them--not matchmaking games). These games don't affect your ladder ranking and you can leave them at any time so people won't freak out as much when they know you're new.
  • Use the Prodex. It gives very good cookie-cutter skill and item builds for every hero and tips and info for what is generally considered the best way to play that hero a majority of the time
  • HoN records a ridiculous amount of statistical information and also records every game so you can download replays to learn from your mistakes and learn from pros

Jinx

Postby Sekh765 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Jinx wrote:Everybody assumes you know how to play from the beginning, so play "no stat" games if you're just starting out (Public games that have a red star next to them--not matchmaking games). These games don't affect your ladder ranking and you can leave them at any time so people won't freak out as much when they know you're new.

This is incredibly, 100% true lol.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Jinx » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I seem to be the only one beating the Heroes of Newerth drum, but as of today Heroes of newerth is now FREE TO PLAY. So if you were holding off on playing because of the $30 price tag, now is a great time to hop in and join in on the dota/lol/moba-esque fun :)

The site is getting absolutely swamped but from what I can tell the game now has the following types of accounts:

• Legacy - Players who have purchased the game previously will have legacy accounts and have access to all current and future heroes. It appears from this point forward legacy accounts can no longer be purchased
  • Basic / Free - Anybody can now sign up for free and have a rotating pool of 15 heroes,
  • Verified - "Once a player has surpassed a certain threshold of play time, or purchase Goblin Coins, their account is upgraded to a Verified account" The only difference between verified and basic/free as far as I can tell is that verified accounts can play in verified only games so that beginners and experienced players will be separated.

Similar to LoL, players will be able to purchase heroes to keep permanently through in-game currency (which can also be obtained with actual money or by playing matchmaking games). With the recent updates S2 Games has updated the tutorial and added an in-game guide so heroes and their skills are further explained as well as showing common skill and item builds.

F2P FAQ
Maliken's letter to the community
HoN 2.1.0 changelog
Jinx

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm

So HoN has a large number of mods for it. A lot of them are little things like graphical changes or skins or sound changes but a good number of them are very helpful for new players which I'll list below:

HoN Modification Manager: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showt ... hp?t=25883
You will need this tool to install and activate/deactivate mods. The general method for installing/using mods is this:
  • Download .honmod file from the HoN forums.
  • Put the .honmod file in your C:\Program Files\Heroes of Newerth\game\mods folder (or wherever you installed HoN, you may need to create the mods folder)
  • Run the HoN Mod Manager, select the mod you just downloaded and click the enable button on the bottom right
  • Select File -> Apply Mods Remember to do this any time you change which mods are enabled and every time HoN gets patched

Range Indicators: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showt ... p?t=169981
NOTE: These mods cause practice mode to break. Also check this page whenever HoN adds new heroes as these mods will have to be updated to take the new hero's casting ranges into account.
Cast range indicator Probably the most helpful mod, the cast range indicator shows circles for the ranges of your hero's skills like in LoL.
AOE indicator Can be helpful for players just starting out to get a good feel for the ranges of AOE spells, but as the AOE indicators will always be visible it can be a bit distracting
Reveal range indicator I would recommend picking up the lite version of this, shows a circle when placing wards
Tower range indicator Shows the range of towers, but only if you currently have line of sight to the tower.

Respawn Timers: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showt ... hp?t=67957
One thing I always found difficult to keep track of was who was dead and who was alive. This mod puts portraits of heroes that are dead at the top of the screen with a timer under them showing how long until they respawn.

Rune Check: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showt ... hp?t=94496
Gives you a little timer on your hud showing you the time until the next rune spawn. Also comes with a customizable sound effect for when the rune spawn does occur. For the curious, rune spawns occur on every even minute starting at 2 minutes (02:00, 04:00, 06:00, etc)

Stumps: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showt ... p?t=123383
Be sure to grab the .honmod and not the .s2z file
This mod causes a large break in immersion by making all trees appear as stumps. It looks ugly but very clearly shows you juking paths allowing for easy escapes and a better idea where an enemy hero might try to hide. Do note that this does NOT allow you to see heroes in the trees, if a tree/stump is blocking your line of sight to a hero they will not show up on your screen!
Jinx

Postby Jinx » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Also for Akita or anybody else having the issue where the current guide doesn't match your hero: http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showp ... stcount=53

JeremyP wrote:It seems once a guide is loaded, it gets cached, so it doesn't have to be requested again. The problem is when HoN loads up this cached copy it breaks for whatever reason and we all know what that looks like.

I did some digging around in the console, and managed to find a command, that forces the guide to be re-downloaded instead of loaded from cache. With a little help from Google, I figured out how to bind the command to a key, and create a workaround for myself until S2 fixes this bug.

Instructions for what I did.
Open the game console (CTRL-F8). Type the following.
Code: Select all
bind <key> set guide_useCache false

example: bind 0 set guide_useCache false
NOTE: <key> can be anything you want, if you decide to use a letter, it must be capital. I used the number 0 here since it's out of way and I don't use it for anything else.
USAGE: Hit the key you bound BEFORE selecting a guide and it will load fine. I've only tested this in practice mode (came to post soon as I figured it out), although I don't see why it wouldn't work in a match.

<insert disclaimer holding me blameless if something goes wrong from you using this information>
Jinx

Postby Sekh765 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Emerald Warden. Greatest hero Ever.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Return to Alternative Games