[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Alien Swarm

Alien Swarm

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby SilverWolf » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm not even in-game and I'm already giggling at the idea.

EDIT: setting asw_custom_skill_points to 1 and starting a lobby with you and 3 people is great fun, since you get to choose where your points are being spent, just wish I knew how to edit the number of points won.
SilverWolf

Postby Purplecat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Ok, so Alien Swarm apparently hosts from the leader computer. The game hides away network related stats, so this isn't too obvious.

I hope the Linux server support is soon finished.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby MaskedJackal » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Image◕ ‿ ◕
MaskedJackal

Postby Helios » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 pm

Slightly off topic, but I might as well mention it here. Apparently some AI code relating to Half Life 2: Episode Three was found in the Alien Swarm files. Specifically they appear to be AI nodes for two entities, "Brain Blob" and "Aperture Nest" which to my knowledge do not appear in AS.

So there's a couple options here: One is that these are leftover files from a particle benchmark or something similar, or this is a (sneaky) hint from Valve that they're still working on the game.

This may also confirm my theory that Episode Three will use the L4D Source Engine. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On a more related note: Is the AI Director implemented in AS? The swarms seem dynamic, but there appear to be some scripted moments.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Jinx » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Currently all alien spawning locations are static. Which is good because after a few matches you should have most of it memorized (unless you play insane which has bonus spawns x.x) It turns out they've implemented the AI director though and if you want to mix things up you can turn it on with "asw_horde_override 1", I believe only the host can do this while in lobby, not sure.

On another note, trying to beat the speed run times is (for me anyway :P) the most fun thing in the game. They give NO room for error and if you're running the whole time you'll usually come in at the EXACT time you needed to pass. So fun ^_^
Jinx

Postby Purplecat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm up for beating the speedruns with someone while I'm at it. :x I don't mind retrying over and over again to get them.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby pablofiasco » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:51 pm

pablofiasco

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:23 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Games