ODST - Anyone have it?

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby Sekh765 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:41 am

I am curious how good this is, as I always found the HALO series to be a fun game as console shooters go. Interested in some first hand reviews, and someone explain to me what makes Firefight any better than Horde from Gears please.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:38 pm

From what I hear, the single player campaign is best done as single player- they've gone for a storyline where you're basically lost on your own trying to find your squadmates, and so having someone else there would kill the mood. When you find clues as to what happened to your team, apparently you have a flashback sort of thing where you get to play as these teammates, showing what happened.

The complaints I've heard have been basically two things: first one, the four and a half hours of single player mode is not worth $60 (there seems an agreement that it is worth at least $50 though), and second, it plays like Halo. Or more specifically "I've been playing __________, and I wish ODST was more like that." Candidates have included COD ("I wish you could cook grenades, and blow up cars") and Resident Evil ("Wait- I can move and shoot at the same time? Lame!") so I'm thinking that if you like standard FPS controls (like, say, TF2 and L4D) you should be alright with it.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Amethyst_Lynx » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:33 am

Wait, it only has 4.5 hours of single player campaign? It has now gone from potential buy to wait till it hits bargain bin.

At the current trend, Halo Reach will offer 1 hour of single player campaign, and all multiplayer maps will have to be purchased as DLC.
Amethyst_Lynx

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:38 pm

As I understand it, yes, it's four and a half hours.

Sorta.

It looks like ODST takes after Fallout 3 in that there's a lot of environment to explore. If you just focus on running through it, you get four and a half hours. If you explore, you can extend it further, as you'll keep running into new situations and firefights.

There's also the firefight mode, which people seem to enjoy. Sounds like you get to face down waves of enemies of all sorts.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Sekh765 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:40 pm

I purchased it, I am am enjoying it alot. Making you weak as hell and taking all your ammo away does wonders for the game. Firefight is like Horde from Gears on crack. We spent 2 hours in a firefight map yesterday, broke some really crazy records and got gunned down at the very end D:
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Nikki 狐 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:56 am

Just remember - the second (multiplayer) disc is essentially nothing more than Halo 3 with all the DLC. I don't actually own it myself (don't own a 36) and haven't played the single player campaign, so I can't attest to whether or not it is worth it.
Nikki 狐

Return to Alternative Games