[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Champions Online - Who has it?

Champions Online - Who has it?

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby Amethyst_Lynx » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Yay for double post, though to be fair, it's been six days since my previous post...

Anyways... @TexFL

First Impressions Rant::

Also, is it just me, or is the game very... solo friendly. Like... almost anti-team. The combat system, with the way blue stuff (endurance? energy? Sparklies?) gets filled, makes it diffcult to heal/buff your team mates. There seems to be no easy way to find team members (outside of spamming LFG in zone chat), and, with the exception of 2 missions, all the missions I've had seemed almost random street sweeping (go out on the street and kill 20... err, I mean, save 5 scientists, each one randomly spawns in this area and is guarded by 4 of this type of mob. Definitely not kill 20 mob), which, doesn't need teaming.

The missions also seem to be given out to any passerby, with almost no coherence. They seem generally random, and although some sort of story was tried, it fails to deliver on the missions (Level 9 at the moment). Why couldn't they keep something similar to the mission structure of CoX, or from the EvE I play?

On the plus sides, the costume creator is better than CoX (though, no bare hands option, no bare feet option, and no skirt options? Seriously?), combat is better as long as I don't get a lag spike, and teleport is a truly awesome and fun travel power.

/rant
Amethyst_Lynx

Postby Makaze » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 pm

>>Also, is it just me, or is the game very... solo friendly. Like... almost anti-team. The combat system, with the way blue stuff (endurance? energy? Sparklies?) gets filled, makes it diffcult to heal/buff your team mates. There seems to be no easy way to find team members (outside of spamming LFG in zone chat), and, with the exception of 2 missions, all the missions I've had seemed almost random street sweeping (go out on the street and kill 20... err, I mean, save 5 scientists, each one randomly spawns in this area and is guarded by 4 of this type of mob. Definitely not kill 20 mob), which, doesn't need teaming.<<

Not this reply is honest questioning, not a counter rant.

I'm not sure what level you go to, but later on, about 14 or later depending, you do need teams, I've fond myself on more than one mission or several where I needed a team, or a team just made it that much more fun and entertaining, or survivable *Stares at the Gadron and Psimon mission arcs* As far as mission layout, sadly that is the STANDARD of 99.99 mission layouts in the MMO genre, coh, wow, pretty much all mmos are guilty of it, not saying it's good, not saying it's bad but it works, and as long as you get a bit of story behind it, since most of these do flow into arcs, why mess with what works? The game can be solo friendly or team friendly just later on it behooves one to hunt down a team. As far as Endurance and what not, it's not that bad, no diff than Coh just works in reverse , no oh look a group of enemies, I'll just drop my biggest attack and move on, you actually gotta work in your fights, as far as buffs and heals, I have a sorcery char that doesn't seem to have any of the issues you seem to, and she's meant for support, did you look at the various roles you could shift to?

>>The missions also seem to be given out to any passerby, with almost no coherence. They seem generally random, and although some sort of story was tried, it fails to deliver on the missions (Level 9 at the moment). Why couldn't they keep something similar to the mission structure of CoX, or from the EvE I play?<<

Ah the random missions, which honestly make me think you're missing the big time mission givers with the exclamation point over their head, the civvie missions are purely random, optional stuff for extra exp and items, and what not. You don't even start getting such missions until you hit Millennium City, at level 9 there's more than enough missions and content waddling around, and failing that you have a crime computer, which is referenced to in the tutorial should you be lost as to where to go to find missions. And really the structure isn't all that different from CoX, minus the ability to call your contact and the "random optional" missions being given at random, as opposed to just clicking the police scanner and running to an instanced indoor mission. I believe the goal was to make things more integrated, not make it feel so isolated and sterile. Given the game is designed by the core staff that made cox I give them a bit more leeway than I prolly should

On the plus sides, the costume creator is better than CoX (though, no bare hands option, no bare feet option, and no skirt options? Seriously?), combat is better as long as I don't get a lag spike, and teleport is a truly awesome and fun travel power.

There is an option for all those things you mentioned Amaethyst if need be I'll post screen caps or a fraps vid of it. The game's not a month old yet sadly, and much like COH out the gate it still has its short comings

Makaze

Postby Amethyst_Lynx » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Amethyst_Lynx

Postby Makaze » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:52 am

Makaze

Previous

Return to Alternative Games