Demigod

Gotta share the love for other fun games? Post about them here!

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:55 pm

I didn't see a thread regarding this game so I thought I'd toss it out. I think it's a pretty decent game that is a rather interesting twist on other genres, particularly RTS and 3PS.

For anyone who's not familiar with it, the game system's pretty standardized. You have eight demigods, a citadel, a map that's basically a suspended platform made up of pathways, and various buildings. There's also the lesser troops, although these are not particularly effective; the old game GammaMarauders referred to troops like these as 'popcorn;' I think that's fairly apt.

Your goals change based on game type, which should seem familiar- capture & hold points, eliminate the enemy citadel, eliminate enemy buildings while defending your own, or kill off the enemy demigods X times, all before the enemy does the same to you. Most of the structures are traditional RTS ones and control is via flags (control points, really- they even capture, contest, and change hands the same way as in TF2), with gold mines, popcorn-spawning portals, and various useful structures scattered about. Defensively you have towers and forts, with the towers coming in two versions: archer towers (DoT, more or less, with constant little ticks of damage from individual arrows) and towers of light (prism towers from RA2, or spectrum towers from RA3) and the forts mostly acting as larger, more resilient archer towers.

You can improve your demigod two ways- kill things, and spend gold. Gold accumulates on its own, a little per second per mine. You can spend it at the citadel or at vendors. The citadel provides overall upgrades, such as reduced respawn times, better popcorn (there's several varieties), and improved buildings. Vendors give you items- basically you have five slots to put permanent items in (such as armor- types don't matter, you can have six sets of boots for instance) and then four slots on your hotbar for temporary or activating items.

Killing things gives you experience, which lets you level up, up to 20. Each demigod is either an assassin (self-sufficient killer o' men) or general (who plays with popcorn), and has their own selection of skill trees. You can't upgrade all the trees, but it's fairly easy to max out several of them. Early on you're best off fighting popcorn and other weak demigods, but as you increase in level it becomes possible to tear through just about anything the enemy can throw at you.

The eight demigods range in specialization and style, but they all work best as teams. Much like the weapons options in TF2, there's constant arguing about which skills are best used for what, who's overpowered or underpowered, and so forth. My personal favorite is Rook, who is quite literally a walking castle and the most resilient of the lot. While he's very slow, he's also extremely strong and very well-equipped for destroying enemy structures. The enemy can outrun you at every turn, but they want to come after you because otherwise Rook can smash a huge hole in their defenses, opening up a path to capture their portals and gold mines, and then assault the enemy citadel directly.
Stormcaller3801

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:46 pm

Due to the resounding response (I know you're out there, I can hear you hitting F5) here's some HD video of Demigod. Featuring Rook.
Stormcaller3801

Return to Alternative Games