Versus Scoring

Chicago Ted is a furry

Postby Jinx » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Okay so, since there is a bit of confusion regarding how scoring works in versus (it's not completely intuitive and isn't completely explained), I've made this thread to try and clear some things up. I'm not completely sure on all of these things myself so if you think I'm wrong test it out and post your results. Before beginning I would like to explain how medpacks work: they take how much health you are missing and then heal 80% of that. So if you have 64 health, a medpack will heal you for (100 - 64) * 0.80 = 28, giving you a final health of 92 (The calculation uses integer division so anything after the decimal point is just ignored). You may notice a lot of times your health is at 80, and this is because usually people wait until they're almost dead and at 1 health before healing (to maximize the use of the medpack): (100 - 1) * 0.80 = 79.

On to versus scoring! Scoring is split up into 4 sections: Health Bonus, Distance Traveled, Survivor Bonus, and Map Bonus.

Health Bonus:
-------------
This bonus is the total amount of living survivor health (not counting temporary health) and divided by 2. So if all four survivors make it to the end with 100 health you can get a maximum bonus of 200 points. Health packs are AUTOMATICALLY factored into this scoring so it is not necessary to heal before closing the safe room door. You can test this by holding tab and checking your team's current score and then healing yourself (both inside and outside the safe room--it doesn't matter). HOWEVER! There are times when healing can net you some extra points... the scoring system applies the 80% medpack bonus to whoever has the medpack so if a high health person with a medpack heals a low health person with no medpack you will gain some extra points:

Zoey and Louis are dead. Bill has 80 health and a medpack, Francis has 1 health and no medpack. If they close the safe room door, they will get a health bonus of [80 + (100-80)*0.80 + 1] / 2 = 48. However if Bill heals Francis before closing the door, they will get a health bonus of [80 + 80] / 2 = 80. In a close game this could make all the difference, especially after the survivor and map bonus. So if you see a teammate with lower health than you and no medpack, heal them up if you have the chance... but with versus being so hectic and health values being around the same for the survivors it usually isn't worth it--JUST CLOSE THE DOOR!

Travel Bonus:
-------------
This bonus takes the average distance of all 4 survivors, dead or alive. If all four survivors make it to the safe room you'll net a maximum score of (100+100+100+100) / 4 = 100. Even if you make it all the way, if some of your teammates have died you may get a score less than 100%:

Bill died 13% of the way, Francis died 87% of the way, while Zoey and Louis make it to the safe room. They'll get a travel bonus of (13 + 87 + 100 + 100) / 4 = 75.

Survivor Bonus:
---------------
Nice and simple, it multiplies your end score by the number of survivors alive in the safe room [I should note here that by alive I mean alive and NOT incapacitated, even if you're in the safe room]. A maximum bonus of x4 is obtained when all survivors make it to the safe room, but no bonus is applied if nobody makes it (don't want to be multiplying their score by zero :P) Because this bonus is a multiplier, it can make a HUGE difference in your ending score so make all attempts to get everybody to the safe room alive especially if you're going to be getting a small health bonus because everybody is almost dead!

Map Bonus:
----------
This multiplier bonus is unchanging and based on what stage you are currently playing on. I'm not sure if these values are coded into the map themselves or hard coded to the five values used, which increase from x1.00 to x2.00 over the five stages.
Jinx

Return to Left 4 Dead 1 & 2