[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Scripts and aids policy

Scripts and aids policy

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby nobuyuki » Mon May 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Hello

I'm wondering what TFP's policy is on things like scripts (autoreload, autopistol) and aids (spy decloak sound packs, etc) and what your guys' opinions are of them. Does anyone use these things? Personally, I get this idea that not everyone playing the game under similar play settings kinda ruins certain things, so I was wondering your guys opinion (officially and of course off-the-cuff as well).

Thanks 8)

P.S. this was prompted after seeing a script pack on steam forums which was rated highly by the users and made it seem like a lot of people use scripts to enhance their abilities.......
nobuyuki

Postby Pathia » Mon May 18, 2009 4:02 pm

I would think anything that aids a player would be more or less considered cheating. However, scripts are supported by Source itself, so...I'm...honestly not sure. I am assuming things are scripts being done/worked into autosexec.bat etc and not external macro programs?
Pathia

Postby Purplecat » Mon May 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Scripts aren't cheating, end of story. Most scripts don't really make people a better player, some actually makes it worse. If you use a script for solder rocketjumping, it only means you have less control over it. It's better to learn the correct timing instead.

Using mods for wallhack, sounds and such are however. I been thinking of making some kind of pure server whitelist so mods are accepted, but not modified "crucial" files, such as the footstep sounds. This might be bit of a pain to set up without having legit mods break, so I just hadn't bothered with it.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 pm

The only scripts I really use are a spintoggle for the minigun (I have what's probably RSI, holding the right mouse down for a long time therefore = ow) and an autocrouchjump (which saves a lot of time, usually) so as long as they're not blatantly exploiting a flaw in the system I don't see the harm in them.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Pathia » Mon May 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Pathia

Postby Arcalane » Mon May 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Pathia » Mon May 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Pathia

Postby Purplecat » Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 pm

"Rapid firing" pistol scripts are controversial within the TF2 community. Personally I don't see it as a big deal (it's hard to detect if someone is using a script or is able to fire that fast anyway), although Valve might want to increase the minimum fire time for the pistol just a little bit slightly.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Wulfie » Mon May 18, 2009 10:08 pm

Wulfie

Postby Ayeaka » Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2