[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Should Pyros Have To Aim To Ignite You?

Should Pyros Have To Aim To Ignite You?

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:16 am

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828235

I posted this in the pyro subforums and seem to be getting a lot of flak from them. What do you guys think? I just hate how random puffs of flame can ignite everything. I think there need to be a mechanic added to it that requires the pyro to aim and focus fire to ignite people. How exactly what could work is up in the air (I think a threshhold based on distance VS number of particles hitting might work, needing more particles to hit in so much time to ignite someone at the edge but very few at close proximity). So, let me know what you guys think. I wouldn't mind some backup, either, as I know there is a fair amount of us on these servers who hate pyros probably more than me :lol:
CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 am

Don't expect to engage in much intelligent discussion/debate on the Steam TF2 forums. I'm pretty much a career pyro, but I wouldn't mind a little extra challenge in playing my class, plus it'd get rid of most of the nub W+M1 pyros. I'm also pretty handy with the shotgun, flaregun, and airblast as well so I don't think I would have to change my playing style much if Valve does decide to make a change like you suggested.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:14 pm

The way I'd hope for it to be implemented is you'd generally notice less randomly ignited spies, quickly understand you ignite most often by really cooking the person and being close to them (as opposed to rushing head on with flamer going) and skilled, evasive scouts and soldiers, maybe medics too, IMO as I believe it should have been from the getgo.
CAPTAIN_BRUMBL3Z

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:33 pm

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Pyro's hit detection needs to be fixed.

I don't care that it's a wide burst. I don't care that anything close on-screen is basically BBQ.

I just care that running at someone point blank, they sometimes don't ignite, only for you to later ignite them with your ass HOURS later when they're behind you.

....I've accidentally ignited spies behind me while attacking an enemy in front of me before.

It's RIDICULOUS. And I get ignited, myself, by the dreaded pyro-fart of doom all the time. ._.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Hmm... I have gotten some weird ignites before, but I don't ever remember igniting someone when they were behind me.
Mr. Munchlax

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 pm

Latency is also a factor in that formula. Don't forget.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Chevallier LaChance » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:33 pm

I was ignited in spawn by a pyro who was it his spawn before ^^ It was maddening xD
I kissed a horse and I liked it.
Chevallier LaChance

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:38 pm

I <3 the flaregun.
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Purplecat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:07 am

One of the better suggestions I heard was to reduce the speed of the pyro whenever he is using the flamethrower.

This would stop some mouse1+w'ing. The speed reduce wouldn't have to be large, maybe just down to 90% so he's as fast as someone running backwards. Maybe even make it so that if you run backwards and fire, you actually get a increase in speed to make up for it! (to create the illusion it's the Pyro's fire pushing you around)

Mind you, this would still allow a pyro to kill anyone he manages to surprise and flank.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2