[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Map Testing/Suggestions

Map Testing/Suggestions

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Doom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm a dustbowl-fag; so here are three maps that caught my attention.

CP_Aqua: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/51482
Pros:Looks. A water-section which is unique. Simple flow.
Cons:A bit confined and hard to defend.

CP_Boulder_v2: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/62543
Pros:Good enough to be Valve work.
Cons:I haven't found much minus some very small collision and detail-prop bugs.

CP_BeamValley: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/51482
Pros:Once again, looks. It's also got a rather simple flow. There's a fucking functional laser-beam on the final point that fires if BLU wins.
Cons:There's a bit -too- many paths. Some may be entirely useless or hard to defend. This may give either team a edge.
Doom

Postby River » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:21 pm

This isn't really a map suggestion but a game-mode suggestion; I think you guys run Arena infinitely better than CC2, but I still think you should set the playercap to 12v12 considering it's the server-cap limit. I use to play on -Q-'s 24/7 arena which has the same cap and it really didn't seem as hectic as you would believe it to be. Maybe you could try setting it to 12v12 for a day or so, and judge based on the feedback you recieve?
River

Postby Ignis Solus » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:54 pm

I went map digging and I found quite a few maps that I like.

cp_convoy A CP version of convoy. I'm curious to see if this is less stalemate-y than the CTF version.
ctf_bankjob I love this map, it has good eye candy and it is fun to play in.
ctf_bigchill This map is foggy, which is unique to me.
ctf_colorblind Another unique map I'd love to see tested.
ctf_outset One of the favorites I have discovered, a recreation of Outset Island from The Legend Of Zelda: The Windwaker for TF2. WE MUST TRY THIS! :o
ctf_temple A neat close quarters map to help balance the rotation out.
cp_studio_rc4 Another large map, but his one is more long than open. Very detailed.
cp_bloodstained Another good balance map.
cp_carpo_b3 A fast-paced, small map.
cp_cowpath_b3 This map has dispenser cows. DISPENSER COWS!!! 'Nuff said.
cp_desertfortress An old favorite of mine.
cp_doom This is a map for Doom. :V
cp_egypt_v2 Another favorite, this map is similar to Dustbowl.
cp_meleebarn Yet another old favorite map of mine. It is great for people who want to learn how to melee.
cp_motherland This map has a lot of tunnels.
cp_oilrig I've heard this is a good map.
cp_warpath2 I'm just curious.
cp_japan A cool well/granary-style map that is neither too big or too small. And it is pretty to boot.
arena_wildwest A neat-looking arena map!
arena_mach2 An arena version of the famous mach maps, I'm curious to see how battle would unfold.
tc_meridian A beautiful territory control map on a tiki island!
Watch gaming videos! See my Youtube!
If you want to see my art, go to my Furaffinity or my Deviant Art!
Ignis Solus

Postby River » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:30 am

River

Postby DrJones » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:00 pm

Definetly Bank Job and the Zelda map.
-Jonesy
Steam: DrJones
Live: Bloobunni
FA and LJ: jonesybunny
DrJones

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:45 pm

Another vote for Bank Job.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:26 pm

Angry_Squirrel

Postby Arcalane » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:09 pm

Blergh. I really need to go through and look at some of the newer submissions, but my compy has been pitching a fit every time I try to run TF2 lately. That and I've been distracted by other games.

On a sidenote, I don't really consider maps that we won't put on the rotation (that is to say, stuff like melee_ringking and other non-standard gametypes, etc.) will really need to go through the testing process. We can just throw them on and call them up whenever people want to play on them.

Things that factor into things when taking a look at maps;

Lighting. No unlit maps, please. Ever seen maps where there are no shadows and every surface is bright? That's what I mean. Shadows and brightness are important. This kinda ties in with the map theme too.

'Flow'/Navigation. Is a map easy to find one's way around? Are there navigational aids such as arrows and maps? Do the parts of the map generally flow together, so that if you keep following a certain path, you'll end up in the right place? Having an intro video for the map can be a great help in this situation, and I know Steel would be a lot worse off without one.

Theme. Does it feel like a TF2 map? Does it look like a TF2 map? Does it sound like a TF2 map? Atmosphere is very important to me. I don't know about you, but playing a comedic game like TF2 in a very serious and 'gritty' environment (such as a highly detailed replica of a real-world area) would feel very wrong.

Balance. Are there enough routes that the offending team aren't bottlenecked or forced into meatgrinders, yet enough for the defending team to find manageable and not feel spread too thinly? Are there sufficient decent-but-not-invincible sentry placements? Are there well-placed health/ammo kits of appropriate size?
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby RumRunner » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:23 pm

Don't worry! There will be strippers at your funeral!
RumRunner

Postby Marshtomp » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:46 pm

I propose the admins add cp Cube b15 as a Rtv map
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/52670

I played it on another server and i think it is a lot of fun.
Of course its not a serious map but sometimes i noticed that this server isnt always about serious gameplay which is one reason why i love it :3
Its a Capture Point Map In a huge Cube
of 27 rooms, 108 doors, 2 elevators.
EAch Room has 6 doors. by following the letters on top of the doors, you can reach a control point.
But winning isnt exactly about capturing all the points.

If you observe this diagram. you realize That the points are arranged in an X shape.
This Map is like a huge TF2 version of Tic Tac Toe. If A team were to capture points B, E And D or A, E, and C, they win..
Theres a few more secrets that i would rather the players to find out for their selves instead of telling them.. No its nothing like Exploits or secret passageways but it makes it a little more fun.

A bunch players at Team Furtress loved it during the Big Map Bonanza.
I have a feeling i have poor grammar in this but please think about it Admins!
And yes ....Any class can be a good class on this map at least from my opinion. ESPECIALLY DEMOMEN.

Marshtomp

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2