Map Testing/Suggestions

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby DrJones » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Mysticruins was already tested before on #3. It wasn't very well received because the map is very prone to spawncamping due to its open design.
-Jonesy
Steam: DrJones
Live: Bloobunni
FA and LJ: jonesybunny
DrJones

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Playing on mystic ruins WAS pretty fun. Until it turned into a snoipah convention.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby iller » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Speaking of Snoipahs.... won't that be a Good thing when the actual Update comes out though?

Sorry, I should formal-Intro first before I go any further:
I'm joining up b/c I'm getting started on the whole SDK / Hammer thing and I'm currently building my first map in Preps for the next Update. So I'm basically trying to create a fun map for long-scoping using the "Rat Style" format (IE: Micro players and Giant objects environment).

And I'd like to specifically make a Furry vs /b/tards varient just for this server if there's any chance it could be included in regular rotation once the snuper update gets here. Admittedly I'm a horrendous whiny PvP'er and I think everyone on this server knows that by now, but I've had a long string of successes in lots of other games when it comes to actually creating and designing stuff like custom maps and Mods.

So what's the odds of there being a Sniper-Friendly map rotation when that update gets here??
iller

Postby Andrew » Sat May 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Heya. I've been making a map, which Doom and Luca've been helping me out with. It's a different type of gameplay altogether which Ailure prompted me on a while back and I decided to take further. The goal is to destroy the BLU reactor core, with two capture points disabling reactor shielding and defenses. BLU defends, RED attacks (because BLU is a lot better for electrical energy/labs).

http://andrew.geraldperhaps.com/files/reactorcomplex_b1.zip
http://andrew.geraldperhaps.com/files/reactorcomplex_b1a.zip

It's be great if this could, not so much be put in circulation, but be tested out with actual players instead of me running around on my own. I tried my best to make it look pretty and added a proper post-motd screen for it.
Andrew

Postby Lorax12 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:35 pm

A little some thing, very big, and very nice to look at...
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/97173
Lorax12

Postby Sekh765 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Just thought I'd throw a bump in here and ask if we have any plans to do another map test day soon? Our current rotation could use some spice.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Jinx » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Yeah, we're planning on having a maptest sometime this month (June). Currently it's in the logistics phase as we determine what maps will be tested (40ish were suggested that haven't been tested yet) and how we will be handling feedback to the maps and also possible feedback for current maps in the rotation that we might remove (most noticeably Dirtwork). So keep your eyes peeled :)
Jinx

Postby Andrew » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Last edited by Andrew on Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew

Postby Stormcaller3801 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Oh hey, I didn't see this thread.

I'll have to inflict my designs on you folks once I have some for the inflicting.
Stormcaller3801

Postby CrashFu » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:04 pm

Greetings. I am here to humbly submit my own brain-child for your map-testing approval.

koth_ziggurat_b3: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/98757

I understand that king of the hill maps generally recieve a polarized response from people, and believe me, I know why. I've played some of the other ones out there. But I discovered all of that long after I began this project, which I started... well, jeez, well over a year ago at this point. (That's including procrastination time. Lots of procrastination time, and hiatusese.. hiatusi? between builds) When I started I knew absolutely nothing about the map-making process, but I learned so much along the way.

Anyways, uhh.. at the time that I STARTED the project, I figured that there weren't many koth maps around just because nobody had bothered yet. Turns out people just don't have much love for koth maps. Well, too late to turn back now. There is one server, a dedicated koth server, which runs my map alongside maps such as koth_blast_b3 and koth_missile... silo... something. Comparitively, those maps tend to be voted next on the map queue on that server by a higher percentage (50-something) but then the other half of the server complains or rage-quits. When my map is voted next, it is usually by a percentage of about 30-something-percent, yet nobody complains. Which, you see, is sort of the problem and the reason I am asking you fine furry-pound folks to give it a shot.

I want you to terrorize my map. I want you to find something wrong with it. I want you to try and find some way to exploit it. And then I want suggestions, compliments, and most of all, constructive criticisms, because the list of things I need to fix for the next build is currently too short for me to even want to make the next build. And that leaves me discontent, because I find the mapping process to be very satisfying (and I'm not quite ready to make a L4D map just yet). Oh, and if any of you have FPS Banana accounts, I would greatly appreciate having the comments and assessments placed there. The amount of discussion on that page really doesn't match the numbers of views and downloads. It's like when you artsy types draw something, and you get 20 faves in the first day but no comments. Owch, right?

I thank you for your consideration.

P.S.: Is this smiley: :ugeek: supposed to look like 2 the ranting gryphon? Because it totally does.
CrashFu

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2