[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Friendly Fire Yay or Nay

Friendly Fire Yay or Nay

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

I sometimes support Friendly Fire

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes : 23

Postby Marshtomp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Before you vote.. I dont mean to say ADD FRIENDLY FIRE TO THE SERVERS. I just want to know if im the only one who Really loves this Concept in TF2. i get this Realistic mood from the game when you have to capture the other teams stuff, protect your team mates and don't kill them in the process. I Know the ones who like the play Demoman are usually against this. But i find it both frustrating and entertaining when i have to shout "MOVE! I PUT STICKIES THERE!! GET OUT THE WAY!!! *Boom* JOHNNY!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*
BUt thats just me.

Marshtomp

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:07 pm

I love friendly fire...

But then..

I play spy.

>:)
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Fangz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm

I would have to say Nay for a very obvious reason. If we have friendly fire, it would be a spy's paradise. People would probably kill their own team to find the spy, which isn't good.
Fangz

Postby Jinx » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm

As much as I love FF in L4D: having to cease fire if shots aren't clear enough, moving around behind people and stepping out of people's line of sight, etc... it just doesn't seem to fit in well with TF2's hectic and wide arrange of weapons (many of them with large shot cones / splash damage). That's not to say that FF can't be fun from time to time, having that excitement / hesitation before every shot, but I prefer not having FF.. in TF2 at least.
Jinx

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 pm

Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby RollingEye » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:45 am

I'm a pinch against it for the sake of mowing down groups of individuals. Also, as medic I've been known to get in front of my protectees to draw fire while they are firing. All this adds up to for me is "GET OUTTA DA WHEY MORON!" as Medic and "I AM BECOME SWISS CHEESE WRYYYY" as Heavy. Also, I usually will mow down my team if I suspect them for being a Spah (or just for shiggles).

Paranoid Hebby is paranoid.
Oh crap, is it coward-killing time already?
--
Disclaimer: The views presented by this Rolly are not always serious. Use common sense/brain when reading.
RollingEye

Postby miniskunk » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:52 am

I am all for friendly fire. Many players have gotten quite good at just spraying fire and winning (yeah I know I play pyro most of the time, but I am actually aiming my flame at my opponents or at least trying to). This would add a new level of challenge to the game. There is no reason why an enemy heavy feeding off a dispenser should be able to defend their sentry directly in front of it making it neigh impossible to destroy. Let's face it, in real war, a fog of war where you end up shooting friendlies is common when there are tight fighting conditions. Still I can certainly understand why some may say having to hold fire might be a bad thing. Having it off is like playing pool where there is no penalty for scratching. This certainly doesn't result in more skilled players. May I suggest a trial run for a few weeks on one of the servers and see if people are interested in improving their skill level and gets enough use to justify keeping that setting on. Maybe you could use the achievement server for this when the rush to get Scout achievements dies down?
miniskunk

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:58 am

NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Tehrasha » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 am

Woud it be possible to make it a votable option, like RTV, STT or AllTalk?
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:08 am

Actually, like I said.. D:

Pyro's flamethrower DOES NOT CAUSE FRIENDLY DAMAGE with friendly fire...

It just reinforces pyro's role AS spychecker.

I've played on friendly fire servers a bit... I don't think friendly fire damages friendly buildings, either. Just players.

...and yeah.

Half the heavies I see just use a "spray nonstop near dispensor and hit EVERYTHING NO AIM LAWL" approach.

Sooo... I enjoy friendly fire.

Even if it results in the beginning of the round being everyone screwing around and hitting each other.

(xD It does make ubers easier to charge as a medic, though. Shoot then heal, shoot then heal.. -snerk-)

Friendly fire servers tend to be chock FULL of pyros, needless to say--since you can flame away without fear of injuring any friends.

TF2 isn't meant for friendly fire, agreed. BUT, most players adjust to it pretty quickly. It's wierd, in a way--the first round, there are quite a few friendly kills.

After that first round, though, most players just.. adjust. It's like something clicks in their brain "oh hey, this is like real life. I hurt him too, if I shoot.." And both sides become a bit more careful. Both sides make sure to aim a bit better, time a bit better... and make their shots COUNT.

It's not something I'd want all the TIME, but it's a nice change from the "so many bullets, one of them is BOUND to hit SOMETHING! 8D" method. And it's nice to see people forced to actually play soldier and demo with PLANNING rather than "SPAM THINGS EVERYWHERE AND HOPE TO KILL. 8D"
Notably soldiers and demos that DON'T have higher scores, buuuuuuut it's just more reinforcement.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2