[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - TFP Map Cycle (Adding or Removing from the Cycle)

TFP Map Cycle (Adding or Removing from the Cycle)

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Endeavour3d » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:30 am

UPDATE: Since we already have a map nomination thread over here, I think it would be better to highlight Endeavour's thread as a maplist-alteration thread. Do you have any comments, praises or criticisms about our map cycle? Post them on this thread.

-- NikkyVix
===================================================================
OLD NEWS:
The current cycle is something I haven't given much thought due to the fact that I generally don't know what people want to play, and I've sort of just thrown whatever in there. I've been adding and removing maps mostly on what I like/don't like personally and things I hear in the servers. I'd like to know what people would like to play since I really don't like guessing. I've given a list of the current playable maps, so feel free to talk about what kinds of cycles you want. Nothing is set in stone and we can change the cycles periodically if they get stale.

The current map cycle:
pl_badwater
cp_gravelpit
cp_dustbowl
cp_steel
ctf_2phort_b2
cp_granary
ctf_badlands_classic_b3e
cp_well
Depot_V1_alpha
tc_hydro
cp_Blackmesa
cp_badlands
pl_cave_b4
cp_dustbowl
ctf_mach4
pl_goldrush
cp_fastlane
cp_starship_b2
ctf_turbine
pl_dbheights

List of available maps on the server:

the basic stock maps of course

customs:
cp_blackmesa
cp_castle4
cp_junction_v2
cp_labor
cp_starship_b2
cp_2phort_b2
ctf_badlands_classic_b3e
depot_v1_alpha
melee_ringking
pl_cave_b4
pl_dbheights
pl_dreadnought
Last edited by Purplecat on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: This is both outdated and all dicussions winded up being in the other thread anyway...
Endeavour3d

Postby Purplecat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:59 am

I would try to keep maps of separate types as far from each other as possible. Of course, this is obviously tricky since most maps are CP ones but still...

I wouldn't mind seeing "cp_castle4" in the rotation. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with how it is. For example, "pl_cave_b4 "is fun, but feels... kinda out of whack balance-wise.

I assume you also include all of the arena maps as you said earlier, and didn't include them because they currently crash the game. :/
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby NikkyVix » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:19 pm

If I might make a suggestion for a possible candidate: AVANTI_B1 [ http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/52688 ]

This map is based off TFC's Avanti. Layout and gameplay is pretty much identical. The theme is based off the original. Blue team starts as the attacker. Red team starts as the defender. The attacking team starts at the bottom of the hill and must take control of the town by moving uphill and taking control of Command Points sequentially. The defending team simply tries to hold out as long as they can. Once the attackers succeed, teams swap, and play begins again.

Command Points are captured by taking the flag from the previous point and carrying it to the next. When a Command Point is secured, the flag required to capture the next Command Point appears on top of it. For example, the flag needed to capture Command Point 3 will always spawn at Command Point 2.

There is a wall of the Church that can be breached by applying enough damage to it. Stickies will work the best.

I've played this map five or six times on another server. The Pros and Cons I've seen are:

PRO: Novel concept for a CP/CTF hybrid (only the Intel carrier can cap a point, forcing the team to protect the intel carrier and ensure whomever has it gets to the capture point). Lots of different routes for attackers and defenders to consider, and places where forward bases can be established. And...it's an aesthetically cool map!

CON: Bottleneck-heavy. There's a number of balconies overlooking dead-end cul-de-sacs and courtyards, as well as narrow archways where BLU can be denied progress. RED also typically has high-ground superiority as they are pushed back in the town. Oftentimes ubers are a MUST and the attackers, if their team cannot work as a unit, end up stymied by sentry and bomb spam.

As far as the other maps on the server: I'd say pl_dbheights and cp_castle4 deserve to be added to the rotation, with others like blackmesa, pl_cave and labor being 'special request' maps for an Admin to switch to. That's my opinion.
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Witchiebunny » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:06 pm

May I request that we take ctf_2phort_b2 off of the rotation? I've never seen it played to it's completion and it's always rtv'd away. I don't know if anyone really enjoys it (correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also Depot_v1_alpha needs to be removed, invariably we can't DL the map and people are locked out until Endev changes the map via console.
Witchiebunny

Postby Wulfie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:18 pm

Wulfie

Postby Kellervo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:23 am

My only complaint is with CP_Blackmesa. I know I'm not the only one with this problem as some of my friends who join me now and then have the same error, but basically I can't download blackmesa. I've downloaded all the other maps in the cycle, but I'm dropped instantly and am refused when I attempt to dl blackmesa.

Coupled with it being removed from FPS Banana in favor of another Black Mesa map, I can't find a place to download it from and invariably forget to poke people to get it. Even if I do acquire it, it's rather annoying seeing the server go from 24 people to 5 or 6 because the other 15-20 people can't download the map, period.
I'm a shaaark
I'm a shaaark!
You know what to do. :v
Kellervo

Postby Witchiebunny » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:12 am

Witchiebunny

Postby Kellervo » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:58 am

That makes me feel really silly. Someone directed me to search for cp_blackmesa, which only turned up a totally different Black Mesa map (t2v3, or something along those lines). Didn't think it wouldn't have the CP_ when it does in game. c_c
I'm a shaaark
I'm a shaaark!
You know what to do. :v
Kellervo

Postby JimmyChopblock » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:43 pm

I think black mesa should be removed from the default line-up at the very least. The server hates letting people dl maps for some reason and EVERY TIME a black mesa map starts the server empties out with the exception of like 3 people because nobody can get into the server. And it's not that great of a map anyway.

I'd also REALLY like to see some Arena maps thrown into the cycle, particularly lumberyard.

Also, I played a very interesting game style/map last night on a different server. I have to figure out what it was called and where to get it but i think we should look into adding it to the server. basically it kind of blended a payload style with a capture the intel style and tossed in a spice of capture the point. One team has to defend a series of points, the enemy team has to run the defense's intel to each point to capture it. It was very unique, very intense, and very fun.
JimmyChopblock

Postby Purplecat » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:49 pm

So custom map downloading is broken for people? :/
Purplecat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2