[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - TFP TF2 Map Roster (UPDATED: December 16th 2011)

TFP TF2 Map Roster (UPDATED: December 16th 2011)

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Pathia » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:15 am

Pathia

Postby iller » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:34 am

So I heard U guiz would liek Dirtwork to go buh Bye...
I was just wondering if some of the other tedious maps like Aqua and *most* Arena Maps might be doing the same?

I actually like Arena but the problem is that they're all Capped at 8v8 which makes ppl RAEG whenever there's more than 16 players on the Server.
iller

Postby Arcalane » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:43 am

Aqua's up in the air and I haven't seen it on the rotations for a good long while...

As for arena maps and player caps; I don't think we have any intention of removing arena maps from the rotations or changing the player cap at this time. 8v8 ensures a balance of players in and out, and means the teams are not overcrowded given the map sizes (barring nucleus and sawmill) which are usually quite small.

People have to voluntarily vote into arena maps during the nextmap autovote, and they can just as easily voluntarily vote out of arena maps via RTV.
Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Kumagoro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:28 pm

I just feel that Arena lasts for too long, it's a fun gamemode, but it gets a bit repetitive after a while.

Reduce the time/max score or something?
Kumagoro

Postby Ayeaka » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:03 pm

I've noticed a pattern with Arena.

We get a full server, then one whiny person insistantly nominates arena over and over.

We go arena. We lose half the server population.

People rejoin, everyone rtvs, it repeats.

Is there perhaps a way to use a mod so that we can have a full server in arena? D: Or to even make the maps not come up without nomination if we exceed a certain server population?
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Arcalane » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:16 pm

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby iller » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 pm

I think it's the Format that people hate. I'm sure we've all at one point or another been that one unlucky person who gets taken out as soon as the match starts, only to have the rest of the match continue or for 5 or 10 minutes without us.

I'd love to fix this by creating a Modded alternative to the "sitting out" part by replacing it with a "Bounty Based" objective for each team instead, but I only know Quake-C forward and backwards. I don't know how to Script/Code HL2's C++ or whatever it is.
iller

Postby iller » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:42 am

Here's another problem: I'm worried if you guys remove all the simpler maps like Dirtwork, there will be nothing left but the Resource-Hog maps in regular rotation, IE: Badwater, Hoodoo, Frontier, Cranetop, GoldRush, WatchTower, and Pipeline(stage3 only). And that really hurts people with low-end computers.

A careful look at them in Hammer would reveal that they're actually VERY poorly optimized or not even attempted.
Here's some screenshot examples including their Portal Files (but with Clips/Visleafs hidden):

http://iller.protgp.com/gw/FAILtier.jpg
http://iller.protgp.com/gw/FAILtier2.jpg

In the second shot, I highlighted all the Displacements, a good portion of them are completely FLAT walls.
...while the vast majority of building surfaces are regular Vvisd-geometry instead of Details or LoD brushes like they should be. As a result I'm averaging 10-20fps in SINGLE PLAYER mode on it that is easily floored below 5fps while shooting the scattergun into the water. This is totally unacceptable for a Game Engine that's won VALVe Awards and the highest praise in the industry again and again and again... Even players with Mid-range systems are experiencing similar issues on these maps (and they keep getting worse with every single Update it seems).

...this first area was Cordoned Off btw so there's NO EXCUSE for such poor FPS on such a tiny portion of the map...
Meanwhile the rest of the map suffers from worse problems and doesn't even attempt to use AreaPortals or Occluders. And I don't know what's going on with the VisLeafs b/c I haven't totally learned to use them yet, but He's(whoever designed Frontier) got 'Hints' conflicting with 'Skips' (I can tell b/c disabling each visgroup doesn't 100% affect the other) which makes no sense to me when I read their descriptions on VALVe's own Wiki.

I dunno where to begin to even address this issue, but it would be great if the Map Pickers could keep these sorts of things in mind when selecting each server's next maps. B/c I can guarantee EVERYONE'S framerates during Combat will only continue to degrade over time as more and more effects and crap are added to this game, whether you're on a High-End machine or not. (I'm not just bringing this up b/c my Comp sucks, there are players on the main forums who say they can run friggin' FarCry near 60fps but are lagging on TF2 on some Maps!).
iller

Postby Tehrasha » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:51 pm

I guess it really does depend on what the lowest common denominator is in video cards, and how far the eye-candy and resolution is cranked up in the video settings. I am using a lowly ATI Radeon x800 AGP, which was nearly top-of-the-line kickass.... in 2004. And I have no troubles in Frontier, in fact it is one of my favorite maps.
Everything I've learned in TF2, I've learned from watching Doom kick my ass!
Tehrasha

Postby Purplecat » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:04 am

Performance is admittedly a small concern when we are picking maps really, unless even decent rigs starts dropping below 5 FPS or so.

Iller: You might want to direct the complaints to the map maker too. I find pl_frontier, while being one of the more resource intensive maps... still playable on my three year old system.
Purplecat
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2