Stacking, Spawncamping and You

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Ayeaka » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:00 pm

Ailure wrote:Well, I did consider making it so that if you're the fourth guy of a certain class, it would refuse to let your vote through. But I didn't want to be too preachy through the plugin, and just let it do it's work.

xD; That does sometimes work, though. Like having a ton of engineers on defense on payload, oooooooor having a ton of pyros when the enemy team decides that half of them are apparently required to be spy.

Or the time my team won when we were ALL ubermedic pairs.
Frau Chimäre~
The doctor will see you now.
Ayeaka

Postby Fenriswulfdemon » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm

It seems class choice comes up quite often, so why not make a plug-in to limit the amount of each class per team? I know that the Slaughterhouse servers do that for pyros and engees, though they also have 32 persons servers and need to limit the amount.
Fenriswulfdemon

Postby NikkyVix » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Fenriswulfdemon wrote:It seems class choice comes up quite often, so why not make a plug-in to limit the amount of each class per team? I know that the Slaughterhouse servers do that for pyros and engees, though they also have 32 persons servers and need to limit the amount.

Because we'll have to disable it whenever we legitimately want to screw around.

And because sometimes, a team has a legitimate strategy for an excess of classes (see: Scout Rush for E on Steel, and Engy Supercamp of Phase 3 Dustbowl)
NikkyVix
Site Admin

Postby Ayeaka » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:41 am

And you're usually going to have a better shot if your team knows what they're doing.

IE, I'd rather have four people that are best as sniper trying to play sniper, than have four people playing a class we need, that they have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to use. Same goes for any other class.

That's one of the biggest reasons I tried to play all of the classes at the start. I've learned quickly which ones I'm best at (Medic, Engineer, Pyro) and which ones I can play, either for general fun, or in a pinch, as needed (soldier, spy, sniper, scout, etc,) as well as which classes I should avoid like the plague. (Heavy, Demo)

Ultimately, I still see TF2 as JUST a game. Just something to have fun with. So if I think that playing scout on that map is going to be a LOT more fun than following a bunch of particularly whiny players (the kind that scream when they lose a single HP) as medic...

I'm going to. I might not be the best scout in the world, but while I want to help my team, I also want to have fun.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Postby Makaze » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Ayeaka wrote:
Ailure wrote:Well, I did consider making it so that if you're the fourth guy of a certain class, it would refuse to let your vote through. But I didn't want to be too preachy through the plugin, and just let it do it's work.

xD; That does sometimes work, though. Like having a ton of engineers on defense on payload, oooooooor having a ton of pyros when the enemy team decides that half of them are apparently required to be spy.

Or the time my team won when we were ALL ubermedic pairs.

Well aren't there commands that can be put in that limit the number of classes on any given team? Like say if there's 2 snipers there can't be a third etc.

Makaze

Postby Purplecat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Ayeaka wrote:And you're usually going to have a better shot if your team knows what they're doing.

IE, I'd rather have four people that are best as sniper trying to play sniper, than have four people playing a class we need, that they have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to use. Same goes for any other class.

That's one of the biggest reasons I tried to play all of the classes at the start. I've learned quickly which ones I'm best at (Medic, Engineer, Pyro) and which ones I can play, either for general fun, or in a pinch, as needed (soldier, spy, sniper, scout, etc,) as well as which classes I should avoid like the plague. (Heavy, Demo)

Ultimately, I still see TF2 as JUST a game. Just something to have fun with. So if I think that playing scout on that map is going to be a LOT more fun than following a bunch of particularly whiny players (the kind that scream when they lose a single HP) as medic...

I'm going to. I might not be the best scout in the world, but while I want to help my team, I also want to have fun.

Although in my honest opinion, you shouldn't count on being a certain class too much. For some reason, especially "career snipers" tend to have problems playing other classes.

I try to play out my playtime between the classes, and my only weakness is the sniper. Not that I consider myself sucky with sniper, I'm just way bteter with the other eight classes. ;) And even then I choose sniper if none else on my team is sniper, and the team is otherwise balanced (rare, but this do happen).
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby pablofiasco » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Makaze wrote:Well aren't there commands that can be put in that limit the number of classes on any given team? Like say if there's 2 snipers there can't be a third etc.

problem with that, is the arguments that will occur over who gets to be teh "l33t snipzors"
not to mention if two noobs or somesuch get the sniper slot first, and refuse to give them up despite the demands of...well...everyone really

(this happened ALOT back in the TFC days sadly)
pablofiasco

Postby Ayeaka » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:39 am

Ailure wrote:Although in my honest opinion, you shouldn't count on being a certain class too much. For some reason, especially "career snipers" tend to have problems playing other classes.

I try to play out my playtime between the classes, and my only weakness is the sniper. Not that I consider myself sucky with sniper, I'm just way bteter with the other eight classes. ;) And even then I choose sniper if none else on my team is sniper, and the team is otherwise balanced (rare, but this do happen).

Well, yes. If I'm having a ball as spy, but our team is hurting for medics, I'll probably go medic, (unless we desperately need a spy just as badly and no one else wants to swap of course.. which has happened before.)

But let's just say.. bad things happen when I attempt Heavy and Demo.
Frau Chimäre~
Ayeaka

Previous

Return to Team Fortress 2