lag is a demon

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Jake Monroe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:03 am

http://www.geocities.com/zapdosrocks/Pics/cp_gravelpit0001.jpg

note the Loss = 0.

Our server
http://www.geocities.com/zapdosrocks/Pi ... rt0000.jpg

Loss = 23. Very laggy, voice chat is unusable.

I dunno why it was doing that tonight, the server is kinda random on when it wants to work nice and smooth (earlier today it was perfect) and then it decides to explode. I personally think a demon has possessed the TFP server, and we need to exorcise it.
SiRK: There's [SFW], [NSFW] and [STRAY]
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 am

What ISP is the server on, and by what connection?
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby Jake Monroe » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:39 pm

would have to ask Endeavour that.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

Postby Endeavour3d » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm

the ISP is called LinkCity, it's a municipal FiOS branch of Sprint I believe. I don't know why lag seems to come and go on the server, whether it's the connection, the network, or the server itself I can't really say since I don't know enough about networking to diagnose it.
Endeavour3d

Postby Angry_Squirrel » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:17 am

I seem to get random lag bursts in both TFP and my other server JLM. Going along nice and according to plan, even if the plan is to run away, then it lags for a second and you're not where you were supposed to be, and you lose another 50 DKP! (wow joke, clip is often played in JLM.)

Half the time it's inconsequential, but the other half is during combat and then it can really screw me up. The guy I'm healing suddenly dies to a crocket, so I run for it; LAG! right into the wall, by the time I turn around to run a soldier's spotted me adn I can't make it to cover in time. CROOOCKEEEEET!!!! ...and that's the only distinct example I have in mind, as I don't have a very good memory.... >:(
Angry_Squirrel

Postby Jake Monroe » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:16 am

Jake Monroe

Postby Endeavour3d » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 pm

ouch, well that explains the lag, some node between the LinkCity and the Sprint connection is increasing the latency to 140ms, in that case, there really isn't anything I can or ever could do about it.
Endeavour3d

Postby Purplecat » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Is there any reason the server isn't pingable with the ICMP protocol? (What Windows ping command uses) It's usually frowned upon to block ping as it's a common way to determine if a host with a certain IP is reachable (this actually fooled me that the server were down once.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2