[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - A recent server trend

A recent server trend

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Echoen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:35 am

Then that again goes back to the issue of keeping the server all-talk by default.

I had another idea, though. Is it possible to allow non-admins to initiate a vote for something? Would it also be possible, then, (With a higher minumum number of votes required than a vote created by an admin), to have the server change something if enough people vote yes?

Here's the scenareo. Alltalk is on by default. A bit too many people get chattery and annoying. A player initiates a vote to turn alltalk off - there are no admins on the server at the moment. Any non-admin player could only select from a limited list of questions (EG, "Turn Alltalk Off?" "Turn Alltalk On?" "Scramble the teams?", he can't make up his own (this'll cut down on spamming polls). If, let's say, 66% (Two thirds majority) of the people playing vote (yes or no) the vote is a success, and tells whether YES or NO was the predominant choice. If less than 66% of people playing vote, the vote FAILS and does not tell the result. If the vote was a success, then the server carries through with the action, turning Alltalk off.

I understand that it sounds a little complex, but doesn't that follow the same basic idea of RTV?
Echoen

Postby Echoen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:40 am

Actually, thinking about it, it's just an RTV with a different set of actions. ATF = All Talk Off? ATN = All Talk On? STT = Scramble The Teams? Votemute [name]? Voteunmute? (I am against votekick or voteban, but votemute should be an option). PMF = Party Mode Off? PMN = Party Mode On? FTG = Fuck The Gravity (presenting a list of gravity options).

These are all just samples of what choices could be. For some, like Fuck The Gravity, you could make the Votes Required threshold very very high.

If this is implimented, that would cut down on Admins being pestered to do something, relieving stress. If players REALLY wanna scramble the teams, they just gotta initiate a vote!

And if a vote someone initiated fails, they can't initiate one again for a set amount of time.

Just like RTV/
Echoen

Postby Purplecat » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:39 am

Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Arcalane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:56 am

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Elixer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

Also, it'd be nice for people to try and -not- join Doom's/Nikky/Witchie's team just because they're there. And I mean when you're already in a team and a open slot is open. Stick with the team you're with, even if you're losing. Trust me, i've seen losing teams come up and begin to steamroll the opposing team. Remember, all you need is teamwork, a little knowledge of the opposing team and a good mindset. ( Not to mention tons of explosives and bullets. :] ) Shit people, I need a mic... Well, one that works. It seems I always need to remind people to keep trying. >:/

Also: I NEED TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS TO MAKE SURE YOU FUCKERS LISTEN. Please, follow what I say, I AM tired of people switching teams because they seem to lose all hope. It's sad, really. Grow a pair and keep trying till you absolutely rage. Even then, don't switch team, disconnect and take a breather for a few minutes.
Elixer

Postby Witchiebunny » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Witchiebunny

Postby Echoen » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Can I get any feedback on my recent idea about the RTV-like scripts? Are they even possible?
Echoen

Postby Purplecat » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Eh, just create a diffrent thread about it. I admittly had a similar idea about it, but it was more for providing more choice for players, rather than solving any problem (and I don't think it will solve any problem).
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Jinx » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Let's all hold back on the drama a bit, hmm? This isn't that big of a problem and it's definitely not something that's going to cause the death of the server. Similar to spawn-camping, "are the teams stacked?" doesn't always have a black and white answer. The losing team could just be disorganized, having an off day, or what have you. In such cases we just need to suck it up, lose gracefully, and try harder next time (spy-crabbing, suiciding repeatedly, or doing nothing is NOT losing gracefully and is borderline greifing--at least give the appearance you are trying).

As for legitimate cases, people either need to have a "for the good of everyone" attitude and switch to the losing team to help out or just use scramble when needed which can be difficult if no admins are on (implement a rtv type thing for voting a scramble as suggested earlier or get a couple more admins?). I think scramble votes should be put up if one team has won like 3-4 rounds in a row without issue without the need for the losing team to whine (which is usually the catalyst for a vote).

Have we found out how well all talk is resolving stacking when it occurs? Or is it still too early to tell? I enjoy having it on (except when I need to be broadcasting strategic information), but it never seems practical when the server is full even if people aren't talking over each other (there's too much going on).

And lastly, just take it easy. It's a game to be played for fun, if it causes too much rage just take a time out from the game for a bit or try another game (slower games like strategy or co-op games are especially good for a raging/steamrolled heart). And it's not all gloom and doom, a couple days back there was a match on pl_dbheights that was spectacularly balanced with blue just barely snagging a victory after about one minute of overtime--super epic. A large majority of the other matches aren't perfectly balanced but still play well and lead to a good experience.
Jinx

Postby Jake Monroe » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm going to say one last thing. I've only ever "rage Quit" from a server once. Ever. Why? I will give out the scenario. map goes to Cave. I end up on Blue, Doom is on red. my team has a one man advantage over Doom's team. (this is before the all-talk plugin, to show how bad this problem has been). During setup, a member of my team says on voice chat "I'm sorry, I don't feel like dieing a lot" and SWITCHES TO DOOM'S TEAM! and I am sure a portion of our Team Stacking problem is a result of "If I fight Doom I'll Die a lot so I'll wait to join his team" Which is utter bull shit. I've been against Doom many times and held a 1 or higher kill death ratio. This is no "We want to chat" excuse, this is a "I don't want to put effort into teamwork" excuse and it gets very old.
SiRK: There's [SFW], [NSFW] and [STRAY]
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2