[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - TF2 Beta Thoughts

TF2 Beta Thoughts

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Salen Stormwing » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Evening, folks. Salen (the other one) here to ask you what you think of the TF2 Beta changes that are being tested.

Mostly I started thinking I'd check up on what was going on in the beta, so I loaded up the Beta TF2 Wiki article. I knew they were testing the Quick Fix, but then I noticed all the other tweaks to weapons, so I was going to see what folks thought of them, since, well, they hadn't been brought up elsewhere.

I'll give my own thoughts on some of the items I noticed:

1. Battalion Backup going from 175 HP to charge going to 350: Well, this might be a bit of an overkill. I know I've managed to get several BB calls in on one life, but doubling the requirement necessary might be a bit much. Probably shouldn't be surprised though.

2. Compression-usable Backburner? Awesome. But I think I like my Degreaser more still.

3. Powerjack: Nerfed a ton. Time to switch to the rake or axtinguisher.

4. Lock N' Load w/ a bit more damage? Really, Valve? Just make it a bloody Demo "Direct Hit" already, you lousy gits, so I'll want to use it. Shattering grenades was a stupid idea.

5. Lots of Demo Melee-things crit-able: Uh, I'm okay with this, I suppose, but it's weird the weapons do less damage than the bottle, they just have abilities now, and can random crit. But anyways, Random-Crit Cabers! LOOK WHAT SCIENCE HAS DONE! :o

6. Fist O'Steel get debuffed: Hmm, I can see why this is happening. Guess I'll look back to either my KGBs or GRUs soon.

7. Sydney Sniper w/ Faster Recharge: Hey, I'm okay with that. It doesn't do a huge pile of damage like the normal sniper, and I'm only good at bodyshots anyways. So huzzah, I'm okay with this.

Anyways, this is just my thoughts. Wanted to see what other folks though of them.
Salen Stormwing

Postby Jinx » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Ooh neat, haven't really been watching the beta changes, some of these are interesting.

I LOVE the quickfix. When it counts I'll still roll with the medigun but the quickfix sounds like the perfect tool for pub games with a large push.

Not sure how I feel about the detonator, would surely help the backburner/ambush minded pyro but the explosion vulnerability makes me not want to touch it

Sun-on-a-Stick is a terrible weapon, I don't think buffs will fix it =/

I'm not sure about the Battalion Backup change. At first I agreed with you and thought it would be overkill (I never see anybody using this item anyway, why make it worse?), but a defensive soldier using the battalion backup could probably always have one charged before a major enemy push and could nullify all crit rushes. If both the battalion backup and concheror changes go through the concheror looks like a straight upgrade almost.

Backburner changes look good (A buff to pyro? This can't be!)

Powerjack changes are dumb. There'd be absolutely no reason to use the Pyro set (as if the bullet vulnerability weren't enough)

Loch-n-Load changes are a good buff.

Remove the Ullapool Caber is the only change I'm gonna agree with.

Fists of Steel needed the nerf, but with the amazing ability GRUs give the heavy I don't ever see using the other melee choices

Vita-Saw change is an awesome buff, not sure why they added this.

<3 Valve for trying new things for balance (Seriously though remove the Ullapool Caber)
Jinx

Postby Salen Stormwing » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:38 pm

If you're good with rocket juggling, the detonator might be okay, but I just can't see it since explosives is a BIG part of offensive-based damage.

Yeah, the Sun-on-a-stick still sucks and Valve is going to have to tie free porkchop hats to it to get the dogs to use it for a match.

Oh yeah, you're right on the pyro buff though. I secretly think the person who okay'd the Backburner buff is currently a headcrab zombie, or a weighted companion cube.

Why did they change the Powerjack though? I didn't like the set-bonus for Pyro's Polycount weapons, and now they make pyros take +20% melee damage when using it? Yeah, that's stupid as hell. Why use the powerjack when you can use the rake in Degroot? Obviously someone shot the headcrab zombie, or burned the weighted companion cube, after they found out about the backburner buff.

Yeah, why would the Vita-saw need the buff so you could see enemy HP though? It's cool, but I find just saving my butt some uber after I end up getting blown up is useful enough.

I do like the idea of the Quickfix myself. I tend to do a lot of heal you-heal you-heal-you when I end up being a super overwhelmed medic with 11 folks all screaming MEDIC!
Salen Stormwing

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 am

I actually like the detonator, and if you're good enough with the airblast the extra explosive damage isn't too much of a problem. Flarejumping is actually really nice as it lets me do things with pyro I was once only able to accomplish with soldier or demo. I'd like to see some variant of this in the main game. The rest of the stuff I really don't have much of an opinion on, most of the melee changes are stupid, but at least with pyro I only use the axtinguisher so it's not that big of a deal with me.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Salen Stormwing » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:55 pm

Aaaaand... now most of the Beta changes have become standard in the game. Maybe I should change the title to Not-So Beta Thoughts. :?
Salen Stormwing

Postby Purplecat » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Infact other than the detonator and quick-fix missing, the "stable" is ahead of the "beta".

Hopefully they at least sync up the beta.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Salen Stormwing » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Well, we got a new Beta Patch. So here are the new weapon changes being tested.

Medic:
Beta Syringe Gun
Applies Mad Milk for 1 second
50% slower firing rate
90% less damage

Beta Bonesaw
Allows the user to see enemy health

Sniper:
Beta Sniper Rifle
On Hit: Rifle charge rate increased by 35%
On Miss: Rifle charge rate decreased by 65%

Beta Sniper Club
25% increase in damage when health <50% of max
25% decrease in damage when health >50% of max

Soldier:
Beta Rocket Launcher
When the medic healing you is killed you gain crit boost for 8 seconds
On Hit: -10 Health

Beta Shotgun
While a medic is healing you, this weapons' damage is increased by 25%
While not being healed by a medic, your weapon switch time is 25% longer

Beta Split Equalizer 1
Damage increases as the user becomes injured
Blocks healing while in use

Beta Split Equalizer 2
Move speed increases as the user becomes injured
Blocks healing while in use

Okay, officially, I want to know what the hell someone at Valve is thinking with the Soldier beta changes. "ZOMGS, you know what class needs to be more dependent on a pocket medic, SOLDIER!" Every time I HIT something, I take 10 Health damage! Excuse me, my Black Box just called, it said that change was just stupid. And the shotgun? Why would you use that? It's not like a Beta Shotgun for Heavy, because Medics love Heavies like Heavies love Sandviches. No, if you're getting healed (like 5% of the time), you switch weapons faster, and the other time (95% roughly) you're BONED!

Okay, the Equalizer I can understand though. You either hit harder or run faster. One of the two. Okay, that's a more reasonable change.

Also, whats up with the Beta Syringe Gun? They trying to reinvent the Blautsauger, only by making it less effective?
Salen Stormwing

Postby Wulfie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Wulfie

Postby Salen Stormwing » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Still, who ends up getting healed while they're using the shotty? All they're doing is making Medics go from being Pocket Medics for Heavies to Heavies and Soldiers. That's already annoying when you can't get a heal to save your life (literally), because some Heavy is running around with their pocket medic. :?

I still stand by the "Your boned 95% of the time" thing though.
Salen Stormwing

Postby Sekh765 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Every single one of these is terrible and feels like them rushing to get out "moar itemZ!!!!" instead of doing their jobs and balancing things properly.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2