Server 6 and it's continued quest to be awesome.

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Sekh765 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:54 am

So, I turned on Auto-assign teams on 6 this weekend in my continuing quest to solve every problem on TFPs servers with complete and total overkill. That's how I roll. This week we are dealing with team stacking, and the solution is to prevent it from being a problem in the first place. I played some 4 hours last night and had nothing but excellent games, 1 complaint and about 10 "this is the greatest thing ever". More importantly, there was little to no whining/complaining about teams. It seems when people lose to a random team, they aren't as mad. Anyways. It will run through the weekend, maybe longer, I haven't decided yet.

Check out 6 if you are interested in testing it, drop a line here, etc. I enjoyed it, hope other folks do to.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 am

This should be a permanent server 6 feature. I was actually having fun with TF2, and that's something that I haven't experienced in a good while.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Helios » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:47 am

On a personal note, I'm not a fan of the idea of the idea of auto assign as a response to teamstacking. I feel that it's an overcorrection to an exaggerated problem that (due to the differing opinions of people) will never really be solved to the satisfaction of everyone.

Having said that, this is rather promising. It's refreshing to be on a team with some new faces every now and then. While it doesn't completely eliminate unbalanced games, it does make them less likely to occur. And most importantly, the issue of "stacked teams" is one step closer to no longer being a subject of conversation. That alone is great success!!!
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby Gami » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:07 pm

Personally I love this idea. No longer having people whine endlessly that certain people always go in one team together and teamstack. Since this is an actual problem sometimes, I've seen games where it was basicly the same teams for 3+ maps. I mean, i've seen people waiting in spectator for 5 min just to join a certain team :/...

So yea, this refreshes the game quite a bit. Doesn't effect me either since i always pick a random team, i've enough friends in the game, and even if they are playing againsts me it's even more fun to kill those >:D.

Shortly said: This is fun, new and refreshing and I would love to see it on the other servers too !
Gami

Postby Sekh765 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 pm

This will never be on the other servers, it will remain a 6 only thing. It is to drastic of a change for me to force on anything else. However, being the one in charge of 6, I can put it there.

As for it being an overcorrection, Team stacking has been an issue on our servers for 2 years with no real solution ever made. Noone has ever fixed it, or made a suggestion that worked. I have now killed it. We spent all last night playing good games with no whining, so I'm calling it a complete success.
Your friendly local Buffett-Bird spy. ^_^
My spy video!
Sekh765

Postby Helios » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Noted.

Allow me to retract my previous statement. I feel that in the long run the problem will still exist, but this solution is probably the best we can do in the sense that it will be marginalized. Anything further (e.g an autoscrambler) would be too heavy handed a solution.

A further benefit is that the people who cry "stacked" when <player name here> joins <team name here> will be much easier to identify and discredit.
I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby MaskedJackal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:40 am

I love this. My time on 6 last night was the most fun I've had on any of the TFP servers in months, and going by what I heard from other players, I'm not alone. Every game I participated in was close and competitive.
Image◕ ‿ ◕
MaskedJackal

Postby Caps » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:02 am

NO MORE STACKS????

RIP team masked jackal and caps :(
Caps

Postby MaskedJackal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:56 am

good times those were

rip :(
Image◕ ‿ ◕
MaskedJackal

Postby Oktoberwolf » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:45 am

It was really fun to play with the Auto-assign, it really made the games more fun.
I hope you actually consier keeping it on permanently :P
Oktoberwolf

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2