[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - ARENA: Stay or go?

ARENA: Stay or go?

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Should we remove Arena maps from the server rotation?

Yes!
41%
No!
59%

Total votes : 51

Postby Echoen » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Feel free to post a reply as to why you think Arena maps should stay/go.
Echoen

Postby River » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:48 am

The poll may be slightly misleading because the title is "stay or go", whereas the poll is essentially "go or stay" based on the way the question was asked :3

Personally I believe Arena should stay because it simply requires more skill on a person-to-person basis, and at the same time cooperative teamwork is all the more effective due to the elimination aspect.

As I said in another thread though, I believe it should be changed to 12v12 so people can have more fun during it due to not having to sit out.
River

Postby Echoen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 am

I believe that Arena should go, because I do not want to play any map that forces you to wait more than thirty seconds to play. I enjoy the sudden-death style play, it really ramps up the tension and excitement and I think it makes even the good players nervous. But the exact same effect can come from just setting a map to be sudden-death style. Arena forces 8 people to sit out for an entire round, and that's not good. Who wants to play a game that says "Nope sorry you can't play now?" Every time Arena is played, a large number of people immediately complain - these people are regulars. Many people RTV it immediately.
Echoen

Postby RumRunner » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 am

my personal view is that the main problem with arena is when you have 24 people and when the team scramble point is too high. thus in my opinion arena should not be done with more than 20 people and scramble after 3 wins. that way it doesn't get too monotonous and predictable as it typically does at 24 people. especially with our group.
Don't worry! There will be strippers at your funeral!
RumRunner

Postby Jake Monroe » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 am

Also one Arena map is usually over relatively quickly at the scramble at three wins setting. The MAIN problem is the whole Arena takes over the Map Rotation. Going from normal map - Arena - normal map is not a problem. going from normal map - arena - arena - arena until we rtv is a problem.
SiRK: There's [SFW], [NSFW] and [STRAY]
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
Jake Monroe

Postby Doom » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm

I like Arena; I just dislike how we have almost all the arena maps lined up next to one another on the list.
Doom

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:55 pm

bah, I can't read, I'm pretty sure I voted wrong... I want Arena to stay. I love the tension of arena, one tiny mistake can snowball and ruin an entire round. I'm with Doom on this one though, it wouldn't be so bad if all the arenas weren't played one after another. Can't they be distributed randomly across the mapcycle?
Jinx

Postby Arcalane » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Arcalane
Huzzah!

Postby Wulfie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm

Yes, I hate the fact Arena maps are grouped up in a row, and the fact that when there's usually a map change, it's to an arena map. People rtv to get off the arena maps, then the next map along is another one.

That said, I used to loathe arena, constantly being killed all the time by the same people. You go up against one team, which has all the good players, lose, wait a round, come back to fight the same team (because they're so good that they could easily win all 5 matches). The three round switch modification works really well with this.

And am I the only one that doesn't mind sitting out a round? I can follow my favourite people around and scout their tactics. Sitting out in a respawn timer while you're in a hectic match that you reeeeally need to get back into is annoying, taking one round to rest and observe because you're not playing isn't.

As such, I'm undecided. As long as the switch happens after three rounds, it's better, but something needs to be done about all the arena maps in a row.

WHICH I HAVE MENTIONED BEFORE BTW :V
Wulfie

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:25 pm

Jinx

Next

Return to Team Fortress 2