[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - How much RAM does a TF2 server require?

How much RAM does a TF2 server require?

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby noobenstein » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 pm

So, let's say I had a few maps I wanted to serve.

How much RAM would a TF2 dedicated server require? Also, any other minimum specs?

I'm looking at linux hosting shell servers out there, and usually the 'lowest common denominator' or whatever it is, is RAM. For example, a server with 512MB of RAM will cost 2x as much as a server with 256MB of RAM. Of course thats not how much RAM the server REALLY has, its a VPS where they only give you part of the machine...

(And yeah, in part thats because I can't seem to find any one who wants to host my map. So I guess I'll do it myself.)
noobenstein

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:52 am

I would assume that those shell systems are really virtual machines, and you shouldn't run TF2 on it. I used one myself for a while.

I would look for a dedicated colocation setup. I have a Mac Mini with Ubuntu hosted on macminicolo in Las Vegas. I'm paying $30/mo to host a 4 gig of RAM, 250 gig HD old Mac Mini, which is hosting redwolf.ws and a few sites.
Steam on Linux Native: "PENGUIN TOUCH MY GUN!" "THAT PENGUIN IS A SPY!"
"This is going to be a real piece of piss, you bloody Steam Linux player!"
STrRedWolf

Postby noobenstein » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:27 pm

noobenstein

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

The Mini is a Core 2 Duo that's dual-boot MacOS X/Linux via MacOS X Snow Leopard's BootCamp and rEFIt. It has Ubuntu on it tuned for a server. I had bought it as my first Mac. I now have an iMac and mom has a newer Mac Mini -- this one is up there because it has Intel graphics, so it's best as a server.

It's been a long while since I went virtual colocation. It was running a special Linux kernel called User-Mode Linux. For light usage, it's ok. TF2 is not light usage.
STrRedWolf

Postby Purplecat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:46 pm

512 MB is the absolote minium for a TF2 server. And even then, you might have problems with really big maps with lots of players.. I'll honestly recomend at least 1 GB to be safe, but you're might be better off with a dedicated gaming server service.

TF2 CPU usage seems to rise expentionally with the amount of players too. That might be a bigger problem in your case.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby noobenstein » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

I was about to ask about the RAM... So thx for answering my question before I had time to ask!

1GB.... good answer thx.

Oh wait, is that 1GB of RAM on the machine? Or 1GB of RAM for the TF2 server program?

The OS usually likes a bit of RAM for itself too :)

I've been looking at this kind of thing: http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatal ... bones.html

might be a solution :) Do you think Core Duo is needed, is is an Intel Atom OK? I remember TF2 is an old game so I would think older PCs can handle TF2? So why not an Intel Atom also?
noobenstein

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:47 am

STrRedWolf

Postby Omega_K2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:08 pm

If you want to run a server on consistant and somewhat prefessional basis, don't host it @ home (unless you have a _very good_ connection and static ip) and don't use a virtual.
You can either go for a colocation or a rented server. It seems you live in the uk (at least you posted a uk site here, so I'll assume so), so you might wanna look for a dedicated server in Germany. You can get a good servers for as low as 50€ / Month (41 P / Month using a quick conversion) here (Example =P).

Aside from that I'd prefer a dedi over a virtual due to the fact you'll have /full/ control over the machine and don't have any problems with other users whoring ram/cpu or hosters overselling thme.
ﻖﮜ | [#OMEGA] - K2 is my ingame nick :P

GS
Omega_K2

Postby Teddytiger » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:24 pm

I was actually thinking about hosting a TF2 server of my own, I have a couple of machines that I acquired from my job, both of them P4 with HyperThreading, both 3.2ghz CPUs. I'm pretty sure the old GX-270 can handle 4gb RAM and I won't have to worry about graphics power, but might be the only bottleneck is CPU / HDD (it has SATA).

What do you think?
If you plan on kicking a tiger in it's ass, you'd better have a plan for dealing with it's teeth...
Teddytiger

Postby Purplecat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 pm

TF2 servers are (mostly) single-threaded so hyperthreading and multi-core won't help much. They do help if you decide to run multiple servers. While I am a fan of hyperthreading, I do think the older P4 processors handles hyperthreading rather clumsily too, especially compared to the i7 processors, but I hadn't really tested it out myself. :/
Purplecat
Site Admin

Return to Team Fortress 2