[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Furry Pound forums • View topic - Friend Protecting Scramble (FPS)

Friend Protecting Scramble (FPS)

Discuss TF2! Or don't. Whatever takes your fancy.

Postby Helios » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:52 pm

I do not pray for an easy life. I pray to be a stronger bird.
Helios

Postby HayashiFox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Good point.

Still, there's no point in having a vote scramble system if it's just going to be voted against. Yeah sure, sometimes a team will do poorly and get rolled. That's what the scramble was made for. But it's hard to scramble and make it somewhat even if it's voted against.

And then you get the people who are all like "oh we didn't scramble, guess we like to stack."

Just saying maybe we need something a little better. I do hate saying it, but we might do a little better with a forced scramble. Like after a team reaches like...2 or 3 wins, the teams would be scrambled.

Sure it would hurt players who want to play with their friends, but if means having even teams and no 30 point difference teams, then it'll be for the best.
HayashiFox

Postby Jinx » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:35 pm

TFP (like any close, large community) has fought with "stacking" since its conception. What may work for another community may not necessarily work with ours. From what we've seen, allowing players the greatest control over their gaming experience by choosing what team they want to play on and whether to execute a scramble or not usually yields the best experience for everybody. Like mentioned earlier, many times a scramble will fail because people on the losing team will reject it (could be because the game is still close even if the team is losing every time, bad class balance, etc). If a scramble is really needed convince your team to type "scramble" to force a vote, otherwise an admin can always force a scramble if they deem it necessary.

Another problem to consider with scrambling and friend protected scrambling is when a scramble does occur, many times there is only one or two rounds left before the map changes.
Jinx

Postby Purplecat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 pm

And if you are trying to push for a scramble, try to be civil about it. Do not accuse the other team, that isn't going to gain you votes. And try your best, and see over what you and your own team can do better too before considering scrambling. I'm not going to feel encouraged to vote yes for scramble if my or the other team have no medics, five snipers and three spies active (yes I turned down votes while being on the losing team).

Admins can indeed force a scramble, but I personally only does this in the more extreme cases.
Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby RollingEye » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Which to be honest, I'm still not a giant fan of the percentage needed. Example why I'm not impressed with it:
Blu rolls Red 5 rounds.
Auto-scramble vote comes up.
All of Blu votes against scramble, because winning is great.
Half of Red is random pubs that happen to join the server for kick
Result: Either enough vote 'no' from both teams (all of Blu and one of Red), or not enough people from red vote yes (all of Blu vote yes, not all of Red votes yes)

My argument here mainly relies on all of Blu being those in favor of only winning, not caring about team balance. Following the statement regarding random pubs, I'm of the opinion they, like most people, like to win. Hence, while losing they don't care as much, but while winning, why spoil a good thing right? As some of the other folks have stated earlier, they'll vote for a scramble when they deem fit, but most of the time they'll assume that it's the other team's problem. I'd be much more in favor of having a higher percentage for the scramble votes to make up for the handicap that the steam-rolled team seems to face 90% of the time.

I'm not saying a scramble every round, like we first had it set; I'll agree that was a little ridiculous.

Oh right, we were talking about a force-scramble plug-in for friends. The issue you brought up is a perfect example of what would happen. Friends like to play with friends. Most of us on the servers have a good 70+ on our list. A good chunk on that list are pretty darn good players. So we can have a team with A, B, C, and D. E happened to join late and is on the other team, and has no friends on that team. Scramble happens, now you have a team made up of A, B, C, D, and E. Together, they form Voltron and rape the living crap out of the recently scramble team. The end.
Oh crap, is it coward-killing time already?
--
Disclaimer: The views presented by this Rolly are not always serious. Use common sense/brain when reading.
RollingEye

Postby HayashiFox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm

HayashiFox

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Forced scramble = baaaaaaaad, there aren't any arena only servers now! (thank god)

That's all I'll say on this matter.
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Purplecat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Purplecat
Site Admin

Postby Mr. Munchlax » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 am

It only has to be a simple majority of like... at least 51% to pass right?
Who do you think you are? Bleeding Action Man?!
Mr. Munchlax

Postby Jinx » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:40 am

I believe it's set to 55%. When we had it set to 50% scrambles were happening on pretty much every scramble vote even in games that didn't need it, which is why we ended up raising it just a bit.
Jinx

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2